trimming BIG fan leaves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENIE_420

Reaction score
Hey I have a question for you guys, About half my girls are about 30 days old from seed. The strain is unknown as far as a name but I know it is a good strain, They are only about 8" tall but also about 10"-12" around, (have they stalled?) They are short, thick, and very dark. They are very strong smelling, I can smell them pretty well from the adjacent room which the two have little air flow between. :D The big fan leaves are bigger than an average sized man's hands with the middle leaf being almost an inch and a half wide. You cannot see the stalk at all, they are bushy ushy. The new growth underneath is not receiving hardly any light, if any at all. The stems of these big leaves are only 2-3" long, they are the longest ones on the plant. Are these too short for cloning? They can be flipped in a couple weeks and I cant see them growing much longer. My main question is should these big fans be trimmed to allow air and light beneath? The plants are very healthy, there is no yellowing or discoloration anywhere even underneath.

The new growth underneath is not receiving hardly any light, if any at all. The stems of these big leaves are only 2-3" long, they are the longest ones on the plant. Are these too short for cloning?

Got me confused on this. Clones are taken from the branches not the stems of the fan leaves, If this is what you meant.

My main question is should these big fans be trimmed to allow air and light beneath?

I do not trim these leaves. I remove them when I cut clones and/or lollypop my plants. These leaves are the heart and lungs of a plant.

Just a thought here friend .
Sounds like a strong indica dom .
You could always move the light up a bit to allow the plant to stretch toward the light and increase your internodal spacing then you could use some of the secondary growth branches as clones due to them stretching a bit more !

Just a thought
Good luck .

The big fan leaves are where the photosynthesis takes place. You do not want to removed them. Have you got any pics?

Use an oscillating circulation fan to move the leaves, allowing light and air to reach inside the plant. That's how it happens outdoors. The wind is blowing and the sun is moving through the sky, so that light can reach all parts of the plant.

I remove if needed..but If I can tuck them back I do that too...

they dont need light, the giant solar panels you have on top of the plant are feeding them.

Yeah PC Duck I meant branches, they are only a couple inches long. Thanks THC that sounds like a good idea, I will try that. THG I will take some here in a few, how do I get them on the forum? I'm a dummy with that type of thing sometimes, I'm computer savy just not with this forum. Sometimes I post replies and get no answer! I think I'm doing something wrong though, no big deal I'll figure it out one day.

:cool: Greenie .

I'm sure that many of us have posted Q's in the past and had no replies !
I know i have on a few occasions . :)

Grow can be a PITA and very frustrating at times ...
Frustration leads to urgency and urgency leads to panic :eek:

Panic can lead to Thinking faster than we can type words :hubba:
As a result we get a thread that makes no sense ! "shhh i am a classic for doing this":giggle:

I've proof read my posts after submitting and OMG it don't even make sense to me :eek: !

Evasive action save our grow syndrome ! "EASGS"

Sometimes the answers are right in front of us and then someone will mention this option and we are then guilty of having "EASGS"

My battle for today is gray mold or Botrytis (rain, humidity, and cooler nite temps )

But i hope to cure this alone ..prevention before major curing !

But i will probably end up in the mud again and post for help anyway :eek:
I'm slowly learning to not panic ...Our plants don't die overnight ;)

Good luck friend MP is always a great place to shop !

TwoHighCrimes said:
:cool: Greenie .

I'm sure that many of us have posted Q's in the past and had no replies !
I know i have on a few occasions . :)

Grow can be a PITA and very frustrating at times ...
Frustration leads to urgency and urgency leads to panic :eek:

Panic can lead to Thinking faster than we can type words :hubba:
As a result we get a thread that makes no sense ! "shhh i am a classic for doing this":giggle:

I've proof read my posts after submitting and OMG it don't even make sense to me :eek: !

Evasive action save our grow syndrome ! "EASGS"

Sometimes the answers are right in front of us and then someone will mention this option and we are then guilty of having "EASGS"

My battle for today is gray mold or Botrytis (rain, humidity, and cooler nite temps )

But i hope to cure this alone ..prevention before major curing !

But i will probably end up in the mud again and post for help anyway :eek:
I'm slowly learning to not panic ...Our plants don't die overnight ;)

Good luck friend MP is always a great place to shop !

Ther be great responce right ther pilgrem ;)

Then some others be tellin they dont get responses cause it be a question that gets posted hundred time day and folk get tired of repeatin. Aint tryin be hard just true fact and others get frustrated that folk dont serch archives forum to find answers I even do it time and gain dont let the frustration run ya off fires get warmer in time here ;)

BWD

GREENIE_420 said:
Yeah PC Duck I meant branches, they are only a couple inches long. Thanks THC that sounds like a good idea, I will try that. THG I will take some here in a few, how do I get them on the forum? I'm a dummy with that type of thing sometimes, I'm computer savy just not with this forum. Sometimes I post replies and get no answer! I think I'm doing something wrong though, no big deal I'll figure it out one day.

Click the link for a how to on resizing and posting pics>>>http://www.marijuanapassion.com/how_to_upload_pictures.html

I never cut leaves off/ only if during budding they are blocking light and i generally only remove a blade or two not the whole leaf like THG said they are essential to photosynthesis and shouldnt be removed. I have a wwxbb that im growing right now and shes so short and squatty from the t5 HO s. I just cloned off her and the clones only have about two inch long stems. should be fine but can be a lil tricky! i would definately like a lil more stretch maybe next time ill raise the light so shell stretch a lil, but not too much.

the plant uses up and discards fan leaves on its own. let her do her thing

:yeahthat: what everyone said, do not remove perfectly healthy leaves. your plant will reward you for it.

Geez I've done both.... For many years I never touched any healthy fan leaves. The last few years I've been removing quite a few larger fan leaves that act like parasols, cluttering up my inner canopy. :eek:

There has been no noticeable drop off in yield and getting a bit more light to the buds has been a positive ime and imho...:)

Peace~!:bong:

dirtyolsouth said:
Geez I've done both.... For many years I never touched any healthy fan leaves. The last few years I've been removing quite a few larger fan leaves that act like parasols, cluttering up my inner canopy. :eek:

There has been no noticeable drop off in yield and getting a bit more light to the buds has been a positive ime and imho...:)

Peace~!:bong:

:yeahthat:

I have done the same and seen the same results...I would not recommend defoliation to new growers, but I do think removing leaves can be beneficial. At least from my personal experience. Kind of like growing in 1 gallon pots (or smaller). The MO for most is to use bigger pots, I don't grow in anything over one gallon and my yields and plants seem to do well. Jmo

i do to hammy. not a very popular practice round here though!

Latest posts

Back