Trimming / Budding Experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OGK the guy "experimenting" in this thread stated he has cut ALL his fan leaves 4 1/2weeks into flowering

OGKushman said:
Let me assure you that cutting off some fan leaves won't make the plant stop growing. That's halarious.

No one is going to dispute that claim OGK- cutting off some fan leaves won't make the plant stop growing.

But if you read the original post in this thread you will see that Strawberry Cough (the original poster) cut off ALL the fan leaves off of a flowering female plant leaving only the bud leaves.

You find that hilarious too? Is it your position that the plant will keep growing without any fan leaves?

Selective harvesting as you describe is practiced by many growers. Cutting off all fan leaves is another story.

No offense meant :hubba: .

BBFan said:
No one is going to dispute that claim OGK- cutting off some fan leaves won't make the plant stop growing.

But if you read the original post in this thread you will see that Strawberry Cough (the original poster) cut off ALL the fan leaves off of a flowering female plant leaving only the bud leaves.

You find that hilarious too? Is it your position that the plant will keep growing without any fan leaves?

Selective harvesting as you describe is practiced by many growers. Cutting off all fan leaves is another story.

No offense meant :hubba: .
I misread the OP.

My bad. LoL. I assumed he removed only the leaves at the main trunk. The palm frawns, biggest light blockers, people commonly remove when they are shading lower growth.

Yea, you remove all of the leaves and you kill the plant. You can only remove leaves as fast as they can be replaced with new growth. Or the plant shrinks...lol

Ps. I am sorry if some of my posts sound mad...I am on an iPhone and can't add emoticons, do proper punctuation, and spell correctly :rofl: <----took like 2 min to do lol

The Hemp Goddess said:
I apologize in advance, but I just could not help myself :rolleyes: . Here is the link to another fan leaf trimming experiment: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38984

Hope everyone gets a chuckle out of this (as this is my intent).

LOL...It's been awhile since I got a good laugh from this thread, the guy who smoked all his WW before it ever produced!! LMAO And don't forget the wonderful male fan leaves!

I don't see any evidence posted about this. That thread about cutting off all the leaves is "overkill" and off topic.
the proof is in the pudding...http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38984
"lolipopping" ....removing lower branches to allow more growth be directed to the tops, where the light is most beneficial, and removing the plants ability to photosynthesise by removing the fan leaves, also where light is most beneficial, are far far different methods and will result in different outcomes.
Removing upper fan leaves that are recieving full light is NOT going to benefit the plant, not in any manner. Not only speaking from a couple of decades of experience, but from a common sense botanical point of view.

wow, what an active thread. Thanks for the replies either in support or advice against this experiment.

I should clarify a few things:

OGKushman said:
My bad. LoL. I assumed he removed only the leaves at the main trunk. The palm frawns, biggest light blockers, people commonly remove when they are shading lower growth.

By "fan leaves" I do mean all the biggest palm frawn and light blockers on the main trunk, and all the secondary trunks that have resulted from topping. By no means have I removed all the leaves. There are still many dozens of leaves going up and down each trunk and branch. I didn't cut off all leaves leaving only bud - I only removed all light blocking fan leaves

kaotik said:
i agree with everyone about leaving them..
though i have a friend who strips nearly everything right when he goes into bloom.. and he has huge yeilds. i don't how he does it, always baffles me.
i'm not saying it's because of that (and i'd advise against stripping them) but it definatly doesn't stop/kill his plants.

Very interesting. So it's not such a crazy idea.

If it is a fact that removing such leaves is harmful, then I would like to see photodocumentation comparing trimmed and non-trimmed plants. If not available, then I will try to photodocument this experiment at the end and we will all see the results either good or bad.

ATTN: HICK - your link is bad 404 not found error.

Those big palm frawn leaves are the most important leaves on your plant. You would be better off trimming all of the small ones and leaves the big boys.

Can you post some pics so we know exactly what we are discussing here?

maineharvest said:
Those big palm frawn leaves are the most important leaves on your plant.

That's what we're going to find out.

maineharvest said:
You would be better off trimming all of the small ones and leaves the big boys. Can you post some pics so we know exactly what we are discussing here?

I don't have a camera, but I will try to post pictures at the end, close to harvest for comparison. Funny how after I only made one post some people were assuming I chopped off all leaves like that mgfcom.

Fan leaves = Fan leaves.

Spear (bud) leaves = Spear leaves.

Post pictures, dont wait we want to see what you did.

Strawberry Cough said:
So why not trim off the fan leaves, let more light in, and see which plants produce the biggest buds: the 3 that have not been trimmed at all, or the one that has all fan leaves trimmed and the only green is the buds and her spear leaves.

This would be my guess why they thought that

Growdude said:
Post pictures, dont wait we want to see what you did.
...as you say in the imperative tone...

ok.

No Camera. Understand This Already!

legalize_freedom said:
This would be my guess why they thought that
So they thought I removed all leaves entirely because I said I removed only the fan leaves and left the buds and all her surrounding spear leaves.

Ah, yes. I see the logic here...not.

Here's the best I can do for now:

My plants look similar in age / development to the following:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4999

I trimmed off the big leaves as similar to the one in bottom left and top & top-right. I trim leaves leaving as much stem as possible so that the plant has as much stored water/food as possible since I am removing their leaves (nutrient storage centers - which I compensate their loss with enough nutes). The remaining stalk survived with all the leaves of that size as you see here.

This is what I am going to see if more direct light to these areas help, or if the plants prefer that the fan leaves receive the light, i.e. which is better?

Id be willing to bet everything I own that I already know the outcome to the experiment. The three untrimmed plants out yeild the trimmed one. Anybody want to bet against me?

Strawberry Cough said:
Here's the best I can do for now:

My plants look similar in age / development to the following:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4999

I trimmed off the big leaves as similar to the one in bottom left and top & top-right. I trim leaves leaving as much stem as possible so that the plant has as much stored water/food as possible since I am removing their leaves (nutrient storage centers - which I compensate their loss with enough nutes). The remaining stalk survived with all the leaves of that size as you see here.

This is what I am going to see if more direct light to these areas help, or if the plants prefer that the fan leaves receive the light, i.e. which is better?

it seems as if you were waiting for the answer you wanted...

the fan leaves are exactly what you shouldn't remove..

whatever...at least have fun with it and let us know how it turns out..

good luck:)

:postpicsworthless:

Well, we believed that you took off all the fan leaves because that is what you said you did. A pic only at harvest is also worthless.

Strawberry Cough said:
By "fan leaves" I do mean all the biggest palm frawn and light blockers on the main trunk, and all the secondary trunks that have resulted from topping. By no means have I removed all the leaves. There are still many dozens of leaves going up and down each trunk and branch. I didn't cut off all leaves leaving only bud - I only removed all light blocking fan leaves

I think you mean light absorbing fan leaves, not blocking.

Good luck with your experiment.

Strawberry Cough said:
the only green is the buds and her spear leaves.

I guess I should have narrowed your statement down to this small phrase for being the reason people believed it...and it's your phrase and experiment, I was only giving an answer to the questin you asked of why people would think you cut everything off...the reason is because you posted a statement like this.

As far as you seeing the logic in that...NOT...(again your statement)

I could care less what you do with your plants...but if you type something on here and then 10 posts later try to change your tune..well you know people are not going to let that fly...you posted it, I just reminded you of what you typed, so don't get mad at me.

Quite frankly I see absultley NO logic being used by you at all in this little experiment of yours. I don't really understand what you are out to proove, that has not already been tried time and time again with little to no success. But hey it's your plants have fun bud! Good Luck to you!

The Hemp Goddess said:

Well, we believed that you took off all the fan leaves because that is what you said you did. A pic only at harvest is also worthless.

Yea if you cant produce pics this isnt much of an experiment.

It seems too many people here are vehemently angry that I have trimmed off all FAN leaves (I never said all leaves on the plant).

It seems some people are biased as to what should be the results (like recently in U.K. scientists fudging results to support their theories on climate change).

I am not biased, which is why I am experimenting to see what are the results. Whichever way is proven to be better by observation then I will grow that way for all plants the next time.

Though the experiment may be worthless to you without pics - my plants are right here in front of me, and I will see the results - so certainly the experiment is not worthless.

The Hemp Goddess said:

Yes, this is what I did. The FAN leaves. Not ALL leaves.

Latest posts

Back