UFO's And Strawberry Cough LED Grow

• Thread starter northernlightssmokn
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, obviously buying in bulk is cheaper. The LED light I plan on growing with is 300w, has 300x1W LED's, and at your prices that'd mean $2400 plus the construction of it, power supply, fan etc... And it sells for $1300.

there is a big demand for LED's if you didnt know cars and trucks are starting to use them for there lighting ;)

UFO most likely manufactures their own LEDs knock out the middle man. Nice grow man I had my doubts but you have pulled it of. Good job, cant wait to see the harvest.

Update: All is well. Girls are good. I think I am a few weeks away from a snipping or two..or three...lol
I love the first taster bud!! I can taste it now.. I am impressed with the LED's!
Here is some first hand information (NOT hearsay) So far the 3 LED's are giving the Same results as the previous 1 HID 600w MH and almost as good as the 1 600w hps. I couldnt get the 1000w mh to work in a closet grow due to the heat and power issues so The LED's beat the 100w mh by having ability to control heat. I will get up some more pics soon.

So far the 3 LED's are giving the Same results as the previous 1 HID 600w MH and almost as good as the 1 600w hps

Whats the cost difference for this grow,(Power Consumption and cost of lights) compared to the cost and grow with the HIDs? Just curious. Love the way plants look with LEDS shining on them,,very cool.
I am growing with Floras. I have a 4ft 6tbe T5 setup(over 29,000 Lums) and 4 40Watt CFLs(10,400 Lums). I use the 6500K tubes and bulbs for Vegg and the 3000Ktubes and 2700K bulbs for Flower.

All is well still. bugs are under controle but not gone. Took a snip today and put by the fireplace. colas are about thumb size and showing a few red hairs. Smeel in closet is wonderfull and fills room when door is closed. At day 30 with the 600w hps the buds were slightly bigger but did NOT have as many bud sites and nowhere as much resin or crystals on leaves. I wonder about some supliment lighting for the next grow...Floro's maybe??

Current stats:

5 plants (strawberry cough) in 3 1/2 gal soil.

ferts: big bloom/bloom plus, bat guano in liquid form, superthrive
ph is 6.4
temp is steady in bolth 12/12 on/off at 75.5deg.f. with 33 to39% humidity.

P1010031.JPG

P1010027.JPG

P1010026.JPG

P1010023.JPG

P1010024.JPG

P1010025.JPG

P1010022.JPG

P1010021.JPG

P1010020.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Lookin good man, tons of bud sites! Looks like you're gonna have quite the tasty harvest down the road!

CowboyBudsky said:
Whats the cost difference for this grow,(Power Consumption and cost of lights) compared to the cost and grow with the HIDs? Just curious. Love the way plants look with LEDS shining on them,,very cool.
I am growing with Floras. I have a 4ft 6tbe T5 setup(over 29,000 Lums) and 4 40Watt CFLs(10,400 Lums). I use the 6500K tubes and bulbs for Vegg and the 3000Ktubes and 2700K bulbs for Flower.
He's using a total of 270W of LED power and says it matches up to 600W of HID power. Using less than half the amount of power.

you give me faith in led
i have a friend looking into making his own grid
i will deffinetly be showing him this for insperation

impressive looking grow, nls...

u r doing a very nice job :aok:

Have to admit it doesn't look bad for an LED grow at all. I reckon a couple of flouros in there, added as a bit of side lighting, could do wonders.

Update...in 3 days the buds have grown considerably. I would say a 30% increase in size throughout the whole plant. Alot of red hairs from top to bottom of plant. I am impressed!! already qite stony as well...:ccc:

P1040019.JPG

P1040020.JPG

P1040021.JPG

P1040022.JPG

P1040023.JPG

P1040024.JPG

P1040025.JPG

P1040026.JPG

P1040027.JPG

P1040028.JPG

P1040029.JPG

P1040030.JPG

Looking Very Nice..... Grats so far.... In so far as bugs go... I hates'em... I had a HUGE white Fly infestation this year..... but I got the whacked.... now I got some other lil POS jumping around a couple plants.

with a 150 to 175w HPS bulb? Is there a noticeable difference betweent the power usage with a 150-175w HPS bulb? Is the ballast any cooler than a 400w one?

Anyone think this would be a good supplement to the UFO LED? I will be using one UFO 90w LED over 4 plants. Any recomendations for a cooler bulb to supplement this. I was thinking of supplementing the UFO with another bulb on each side of the UFO, pointed on an angle like Mr.Northernlights did with his 2nd and 3rd UFO.

Thanks for any input on suggestions for supplementing one UFO LED.

hmmmm...150w hps?? I wonder about the lumens output on those vrs the heat?? that would fill spectrum voids for sure...

I was wondering the same thing, and noticed how you tilted your outside UFOs to penetrate better.

I can only afford one UFO at the moment, and was wondering if it could be supplemented on each side in some way with a bulb that doesn't require a ballast.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

I wonder what would happen if a flower room included a 150w hps inbetween each ufo?? I am happy with the ufo's for an apt grow and will do another round of grow's with them. Maybe take out one ufo for veg. I can compare 3 grow space light changes:

1) 3 ufos & 4 mini led's in flower **vrs.** 2 ufo's and 1 175w hps.

2) 4 flouros in veg **vrs.** 4 flouro's and 1 ufo.

3) 2 24" flouros for cut's **vrs.** 2 24" flouros and 4 mini LED's (15w each)

this puts Bolth red and blue spectrum LED's in all stages and full spectrum flouros in cuts and veg. It also puts hps light in flower.

I found this link for 150w hps or 175w mh...
http://www.3rlighting.com/hydroponics/usa/growlights3.html

Any thoughts??

I think I am going to supplement my UFO LED with a 150w HPS with remote ballast.

Either that, or a flouro on each side of the UFO.

Can anyone recommend a compact flouro that might do well, one on each side of the UFO?

vaughan19 said:
I think I am going to supplement my UFO LED with a 150w HPS with remote ballast.

Either that, or a flouro on each side of the UFO.

Can anyone recommend a compact flouro that might do well, one on each side of the UFO?

I would like to know also...Any one have ideas on light suplimentation?

I think a perfect 4 to6 plant closet grow would be a 600w hps w/ super hps 98000 lumen lamp on top. 3 or 4 ufo's for subcanopy lighting aimed inwards, but I would love to actualy see LED's become as superior as hps for primary.. It will be one day....soon...I'm seeing it now in my closet..