Veg Room Size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeyPuppy420

Reaction score
I'm redesigning my small home grow setup. I want a small, efficient veg room to veg 3 plants at a time to a height of about 18 inches under T5 lights. What's the smallest I should go in size? I guess a 2x2 would be too small?

I was considering 2x2, 2x3, and 2x4.

Thanks.

I use a 2'x4' x 36" to veg in....... gives me room to keep clones going and to veg plants for bloom room....... currently have 6 different strains going.

I think that a 2 x 2 space would be enough to veg 3 plants to 18" or so. I have a space approx. 2 x 4 that I can veg 6-8 plants in just fine. However, if you think that you are going to want to go bigger at a later date, you might as well make it 2 x 4 now.

To go off of this, I have a 4x2 veg tent and I'm having trouble with heat right now with 10 Nirvana NL I just put into solo cups. The temp in the house is at 72 and I have a 465 cfm fan sucking the air out of the top because that's where it needs to be to extract the heat, then I have 3 passive intakes with 2 fans inside. My question I guess is, is my light too much? I know alot of people will shout NO WAY, NEVER TOO MUCH LIGHT. But I'm more so worried about the heat. I have a 4ft 6 bulb HO t5 that's putting out 40k lumens in 8 sq. ft. But I can't seem to get the temps to where I want them. I'm sitting at 80 temp and 41% humidity. I'd like to be around the 75 mark so I avoid any mold issues. AND these are seedlings that just got done germing today and dropped in solo cups with promix. I can keep that tent cooler with my 1000w HPS light since it's an air cooled hood! I have the lumatek 1000w dimmable, and I was thinking of getting a MH bulb since my ballast can run both and do that instead. I've tried to make this t5 work but it puts off more heat that they advertise, or at least for my space. I also have 2 2footers, 4 bulb, but I use those as side lighting in my flowering tent. So my question is, should I go get a 1000w MH bulb and just run it at 600w? And just keep it higher up? Because this is a pain and the fixture basically prevents GOOD airflow throughout the tent. I just I should put up my grow journal and ask there.....sorry Pokey wasn't trying to hijack!!! My apologies.

Bigger is only better if you can light it adequately and keep it cool enough.

And if you think that T5s put out heat, just wait until you get a MH in there. The MH is going to run hotter than the HPS. I really have a hard time believing that you can keep a 1000W HPS cool and not a 6 bulb T5.

If you're drawing air from a 72 degree space you will never get your temps down with a 1000w. Ideally 72 is the temp you would want so with a heat source heating up 72 degree air you will never achieve desired temps. I agree t5s can put off a little more heat than advertised especially a 4ft 6 bulb fixture. I used to veg with t5 but switched to MH because I like the better penetration for my mother plants.

ross said:
If you're drawing air from a 72 degree space you will never get your temps down with a 1000w. Ideally 72 is the temp you would want so with a heat source heating up 72 degree air you will never achieve desired temps. I agree t5s can put off a little more heat than advertised especially a 4ft 6 bulb fixture. I used to veg with t5 but switched to MH because I like the better penetration for my mother plants.

Just to give you an example of this.....I run a puny 400W HPS with an inlet air average of 70* and my tent stays right around 75* and I have PLENTY of CFM (3-4 times whats needed)...without cooling or outside air influence I would never be able to cool a 1k W setup.

jsmits420 said:
To go off of this, I have a 4x2 veg tent and I'm having trouble with heat right now with 10 Nirvana NL I just put into solo cups. The temp in the house is at 72 and I have a 465 cfm fan sucking the air out of the top because that's where it needs to be to extract the heat, then I have 3 passive intakes with 2 fans inside. My question I guess is, is my light too much? I know alot of people will shout NO WAY, NEVER TOO MUCH LIGHT. But I'm more so worried about the heat. I have a 4ft 6 bulb HO t5 that's putting out 40k lumens in 8 sq. ft. But I can't seem to get the temps to where I want them. I'm sitting at 80 temp and 41% humidity. I'd like to be around the 75 mark so I avoid any mold issues. AND these are seedlings that just got done germing today and dropped in solo cups with promix. I can keep that tent cooler with my 1000w HPS light since it's an air cooled hood! I have the lumatek 1000w dimmable, and I was thinking of getting a MH bulb since my ballast can run both and do that instead. I've tried to make this t5 work but it puts off more heat that they advertise, or at least for my space. I also have 2 2footers, 4 bulb, but I use those as side lighting in my flowering tent. So my question is, should I go get a 1000w MH bulb and just run it at 600w? And just keep it higher up? Because this is a pain and the fixture basically prevents GOOD airflow throughout the tent. I just I should put up my grow journal and ask there.....sorry Pokey wasn't trying to hijack!!! My apologies.

I had basically a setup like yours, (fan outside tent) which sucked the air through the filter, and through the aircooled hood and finally into the attic. My hydro guy told me it's far better and easier to PUSH the air through your setup. I was amazed--filter w/ canfan directly on top going to hood etc. Didn't take up any important usable space in tent. Best advice I ever got regarding temp control and setup.
That's my 2 cents!
take care,
T

T-rex said:
I had basically a setup like yours, (fan outside tent) which sucked the air through the filter, and through the aircooled hood and finally into the attic. My hydro guy told me it's far better and easier to PUSH the air through your setup. I was amazed--filter w/ canfan directly on top going to hood etc. Didn't take up any important usable space in tent. Best advice I ever got regarding temp control and setup.
That's my 2 cents!
take care,
T

Sorry, but I disagree with your hydro guy--pushing the air through your space is not better. The number 1 reason IMO is negative pressure. If you are pushing the air through your tent, you are going to have a whole bunch of problems with smells escaping. You may find that the filter on the other size of the fan may be better and save you space (hood>duct>fan>duct>filter), but I personally would never push air through my tent.

T-rex said:
That's my 2 cents!
take care,
T

If it works it works brother T... :hubba: but I agree with THG that negative air pressure is better pulling air out of your tent/grow space and that's why I pull air thru my setup.... filter > cool tube in hood > duct > fan in attic.

Peace~!:bong:

jsmits420 said:

are the passive holes at the top of the tent? there is a 10 degree swing from the floor to your ceiling if you have 8ft ceilings. so if your thermometer(for the room, not the tent) is reading 72. your looking at 75-77 if your passive intake is at the top of the tent. that means your 4ft 6bulb T5 is only rasing your temps 5 degrees. thats really good. i dunno why your worried about 80 degree veg temp. mj, when in the veg state can take a serious beating and not bat an eye. i do unspeakable things to my plants in veg, in the name of science;) . while yes, 75 is the desired temp for mj, 80 has very little effect on them. especially at 41% RH.

EDIT: if my room is 85-90 in veg with the RH in check. i'm not worried at all. its all about keeping the flower room extremely dialed in.

my veg areas temps run around maybe 3-5 degrees higher then the whole rooms temp, the easiest temp i can keep my grow area at is around 75-85 degrees, as long as it doesnt reach mid to high 90s or higher your plants will do fine, my RH stays around 35-40% when i see those higher temps in my room either an hour or 2 of the AC on will bring it back to norm or ill just leave that rooms door open for additional circulation through my house. and yeah dont fret so much about 5* thats just silly, who cares as long as its not 95+ in your tent who cares, dont worry so much about the "perfect temp" unless you drop your whole houses temp by the 5* to get to your sweet spot, which is kinda crazy and expensive, that "perfect temp" wont matter use it as a general range to stay around, but so long as your plants are healthy, growing, and not wilting every day your fine, after all how would anyone grow plants outdoors if they had to stay at 75*. sorry for the run on its been a long day of reconstructing my grow room, i guess my main point here is take those "perfect" numbers with a grain of salt so to speak, as long as the plants are happy and doin what they do, step back and smile, be happy cuz your plants sure are XD lol

Latest posts

Back