Very First Garden - Very First Post

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and this is my VERY FIRST garden! So I am looking for any tips anyone may have. They are in 3 gallon buckets, they have a 600 watt sodium light, are on a 12/12 cycle, and tonight they are on a 36 hour darkness to attempt to show the sex. The one in the back is a experiment to see the variance in a gallon plastic planter and a 3 gallon bucket. Wondering any tips you may have on it. Also wondering if you may see early signs on sex. 2 have shown they are males, but I have seen no pistols. What do yall think?

emmy1.jpg


emmy2.jpg


emmy3.jpg
 

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I was also wondering if anyone might already know a guesstimation on yield...
 

Sol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
532
Reaction score
20
:confused: not sure. How long have you been in flower??
 

bho_expertz

Aloha from Hell
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,798
Reaction score
59
Hi emmysrevenge182 :welcome:

You said that you had them 12/12 ? That is why they are so streched. The veg light cycle should be 18/6 or 24/0, depending on taste or necessity.

Giving them that darkness period you are only giving strech and that is why they are quite big with so long distance between the nodes.

I also don't see any fan ... Do you have any ?

Other thing ... Is that aluminium foil ? If it is that sucks. You need to try to get some mylar or pand film.

Don't know about the yield but don't expect much so you don't get disappointed.

Good luck :aok:
 
R

Roddy

Guest
Wives tale, the 36 hours of darkness....imho. They'll show sex when they're mature enough, I'd give them full light (24/7) and maybe give thought to topping the gals to get them to bulk up a bit.

Oh, and very rude of me.... :welcome:
 

Hick

Git "R" lit
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
12,839
Reaction score
12,637
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.
welcome to MP :)
 

Sparda

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2011
Messages
152
Reaction score
4
First of all welcome to MP, good to have you here =)

As people have already said they are stretched because they are under 12/12 and currently 36 hours of darkness before they are mature enough to show sex and that will just make them stretch.

As Roddy said, they'll show sex when they are ready.

You should continue to veg them out with 18/6 or 24/0 untill they show alternating nodes, that will make the nodes grow closer together and without as much stretch which in the end will mean you will get a better yield. When they have their alternating nodes then flip them over to 12/12 and clear out males as you find them.

How long did you give them the normal veg lighting schedule before switching to 12/12 and starting the 36 hours of darkness?

As far as guessing the yield goes, it is imposible to guess as there are way too many variables that contribute to the final yeild. After you have done a few grows and got the hang of things, what to do and when to do it your yeild will get better and better as you hone your technique and learn new things.

There is a great sticky thread here with the growing resources, should really check it out as it's a great source of information: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396
 
T

The Hemp Goddess

Guest
I also would recommend topping those and getting them into 24/7 light. Forget the 36 hours of dark--only makes them stretch more. I also doubt that any of these plants are old enough to sex. The ones you believed to be male almost certainly had simple new growth, not male pollen sacks. They are very very stretched. This results in very few bud sites. If you flower them at this size, your harvest will most likely be really quite bad.

We really need way way more info about your grow to be able to help you. What did you use for a soil mixture? What are you feeding them? How far is your light from your plants? How old are your plants? How big is your space? What is your ventilation setup?
 
R

Roddy

Guest
Did you drill holes in those buckets, what's your watering habits....
 

4u2sm0ke

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
17,344
Reaction score
13,505
7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.


this Rule needs be modified as we dont have a Gallery anymore..(wish we did)..and can post as many as 12 pics in a post....

Just busting on Ya Hick :48:


Welcome aboard emmysrevenge182
You are in the right place for the greatest help on Growing MJ..Grab A hold some these fine folks Tail skirts and Read read read

take care and be safe
 

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
bho_expertz said:
Hi emmysrevenge182 :welcome:

You said that you had them 12/12 ? That is why they are so streched. The veg light cycle should be 18/6 or 24/0, depending on taste or necessity.

Giving them that darkness period you are only giving strech and that is why they are quite big with so long distance between the nodes.

I also don't see any fan ... Do you have any ?

Other thing ... Is that aluminium foil ? If it is that sucks. You need to try to get some mylar or pand film.

Don't know about the yield but don't expect much so you don't get disappointed.

Good luck :aok:

Okay, I was thinking I had put them on the 12/12 too early. Thank you for the tip! I will go ahead and put them on 24 again to bulk them up. :)

Yes, there is a fan, it is off to the right in the corner blowing on oscillation.

I deff agree with the foil! ;) I would love mylar, I am having to wait for the first harvest to have money for the investment.

Thank you so much for the help! :p
 

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
The Hemp Goddess said:
I also would recommend topping those and getting them into 24/7 light. Forget the 36 hours of dark--only makes them stretch more. I also doubt that any of these plants are old enough to sex. The ones you believed to be male almost certainly had simple new growth, not male pollen sacks. They are very very stretched. This results in very few bud sites. If you flower them at this size, your harvest will most likely be really quite bad.

We really need way way more info about your grow to be able to help you. What did you use for a soil mixture? What are you feeding them? How far is your light from your plants? How old are your plants? How big is your space? What is your ventilation setup?

I have heard of the topping, just didn't want to hurt them if it wasn't something I should do, but seeing many people in here suggesting it, I will try it out. :cool:

They were deff males. I let them go for a while until I knew for sure. I looked through these forums as well as others, internet pictures, books and hightimes. I was about 98% positive, but if it was too early, well first time growers regret is found here. :p

The soil is a organic soil given to me by the seed provider. I do not know the exact mixture, but I it is deff organic.

I am feeding them once a week on a organic tomato mixture he also gave me. It works wonderfully and has not given them a over fert burn at all.

My light is about 2 feet away. The plants are 7 weeks old. It is about a 5' x 4' space. There is ventilation provided by the fan through the door.

Thanks for the help! :D
 

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Roddy said:
Did you drill holes in those buckets, what's your watering habits....

Yes I did put 5 holes in the bottom. One in the center and 4 along the sides. I water about 2 times a day depending on if they need it or not. I wait until the top soil starts to show signs of lacking hydration.
 
R

Roddy

Guest
Slow back on the watering to when they are actually needing it. One way to tell this is to stick your finger deep into the soil, if it's dry, time to water. NOW, before watering, lift the pail and see what it weighs, this is how it should feel every time you water...light. Now add water until you see a bit of run-off, water slowly to let the dried soil absorb it thoroughly. In that size pail, 2-3 gallons of water isn't unusual.

This allows for air to get to the roots, important for MJ. It also makes the plants stretch their roots out, making for better growth overall.

No clue on "tomato mixture"...what's the product name?
 

Sol

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
532
Reaction score
20
Can you tell us more about the light source you are using or a pic of it maybe?
 

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Roddy said:
Slow back on the watering to when they are actually needing it. One way to tell this is to stick your finger deep into the soil, if it's dry, time to water. NOW, before watering, lift the pail and see what it weighs, this is how it should feel every time you water...light. Now add water until you see a bit of run-off, water slowly to let the dried soil absorb it thoroughly. In that size pail, 2-3 gallons of water isn't unusual.

This allows for air to get to the roots, important for MJ. It also makes the plants stretch their roots out, making for better growth overall.

No clue on "tomato mixture"...what's the product name?

I text him, the soil is organic made by his friend off of his land, and sanitized.

The fert is simply miracle grow organic tomato. The water it creates is a light pink.
 

emmysrevenge182

Experienced Noob
Joined
Sep 14, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Solanero said:
Can you tell us more about the light source you are using or a pic of it maybe?

It is a 600 watt sodium revamped street light. :)

hXXp://i54.tinypic.com/143mjqt.jpg

Sorry, I am finding it difficult to re size the pic, but I wanted to post it in reply...
 

Latest posts

Top