water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

not banned
Reaction score
after tranplanting my plants when is the best time to water

I transplant with slightly moist soil, then give them about a pint of water around the base of the plant.

they should be fine for 2-3 days, then give them small drinks every 2 days until the plant is established.

Yup, it's a good idea to give small amounts of water. The reason behind this is because if you soak the soil, the roots are not large enough to extract all the water. So, after a while the water sit's and gets stagnant. Creates mold issue and such. Good just to water around the stem for the first two weeks or so. Good advice!

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb said:
Yup, it's a good idea to give small amounts of water. The reason behind this is because if you soak the soil, the roots are not large enough to extract all the water. So, after a while the water sit's and gets stagnant. Creates mold issue and such. Good just to water around the stem for the first two weeks or so. Good advice!TGT
Yes, good advice. The roots are at a point where they need maximum amounts of oxygen. They can't breathe adequately if they are saturated with water. For me, transplanting goes much easier when the roots are not 'drowned' with water. I don't 'flood' my plants when watering so why flood them when transplanting.

What happens to the leaves when the plant suffers from over watering?

... and they kinda lose their luster. They look droopy and asthmatic... they can't get enough oxygen. Imagine your mother-in-law's color as you tighten the grip around her neck. Yeah, it's kinda like that.

I started off with DWC last year before switching to soil so I had several air stones and pumps gathering dust. I recently hooked them up so I can oxygenate the water I feed my plants. It also mixes nutes well to throw them in the bucket. I guess lots of growers use this method to get maximum oxygen to the roots. I determine when to water based on the weight of the container. It becomes quite easy to gauge the moisture content by this method. A gallon of water weighs 8 pounds so try picking up the plant container after watering thoroughly and you'll feel the difference. Green mojo to everyone tonight!

Latest posts

Back