Watering seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ754

Reaction score
I'm new here. I germinated 4 seeds. I've been watering them with distilled water. I noticed dark spots on the leaves now they're yellowing. They just started their second set of leaves. I have them in the big rockwool cubes then they're going into a DWC hydro system. Question : Should I add CalMag to the distilled water??

Can you post a pic, are you feeding them ?Or just the distilled water ?
If you get water drops on the leaves during lights on it acts as a magnifier glass and burns the leaves.
Need more info

Last edited:
If you get water drops on the leaves during lights on it acts as a magnifier glass and burns the leaves.
Need more info
I'm feeding them just distilled water . As you can see the bottom leaves are yellowing.

I'm feeding them just distilled water . As you can see the bottom leaves are yellowing.
Need more info
I did spray the leaves a few times because the humidity was only 16%. I put a bucket of water in the room it raised it to 26%

OK JJ
What are you planning to do
Are you planting in soil now or going into Hydro baskets?
The plants should be feed at that age, distilled water has nothing to feed them.
If Hydro you need to add nutes as you grow
Soil mix if if made correctly will feed the plants with a healthy soil maintained along with some teas?

I would not spray the leaves with lights on will tend to cause burning , lights out only
And yes you need it to be over 50% humidity in veg growth

Need more info
OK JJ
The plants should be feed at that age, distilled water has nothing to feed them.
Soil mix if if made correctly will feed the plants with a healthy soil maintained along with some teas?

I would not spray the leaves with lights on will tend to cause burning , lights out only
OK JJ

OK JJ

I'm putting them into a DwC hydro system. I was waiting for the roots to come through the rockwool cubes. I have the General Hydroponics Flora Series with a quart of CALMAG. Should I start giving them diluted nutes

I'm putting them into a DwC hydro system. I was waiting for the roots to come through the rockwool cubes. I have the General Hydroponics Flora Series with a quart of CALMAG. Should I start giving them diluted nutes
JJ
I have not done DWC in a long while so I will let someone else give you a definite answer
But I would be feeding them at reduced levels if they were mine
Wait for a hydro person to chime in, I am almost possitive your plants need food
Seeds supply their own food for the baby plants to emerge from them to get a kick start growing
After that it get nutes from the soil or chem(salt) nutes that you need to add.
Do a google search on when to feed DWC seedlings

OK JJ
Soil mix if if made correctly will feed the plants with a healthy soil maintained along with some teas? Here's the hydro system. The reservoir is outside the grow room

Last edited:
JJ
I have not done DWC in a long while so I will let someone else give you a definite answer
But I would be feeding them at reduced levels if they were mine
Wait for a hydro person to chime in, I am almost possitive your plants need food
Seeds supply their own food for the baby plants to emerge from them to get a kick start growing ok I have some diluted nutes mixed. I'll give it a try
After that it get nutes from the soil or chem(salt) nutes that you need to add.
Do a google search on when to feed DWC seedlings

See if a Hydro guy comes in later
I don't do hydro
But even in soil and if I still used chem salts I would have feed them

How old are they?
I would be feeding them a liht feed at least
They look about 3 weeks old
Yeah they are. I'm going to start the nutes today. That's has to be the problem. I have a BluLab ph pen and ph is good.

You also stated bottom leaves are yellowing correct
That is an indication of them needing a feeding

You also stated bottom leaves are yellowing correct
That is an indication of them needing a feeding
That's what I thought, nitrogen but what I read they said wait until 3rd set of leaves.

Is this your 1st grow?
I grew hydro once back in 1989, no problems. I think these will be alright. They just need fed and when I start the hydro system humidity will go up.

I have never feed my seedlings Distilled water and may be why
I asked if anyone who does hydro to stop in
I use to grow a lot in coco/perlite, and always feed the seedlings right after they popped
A very light mix and then increase as plant becomes use to it
I never went over 850ppms. Coco can get crazy and your method only requires you monitor the reservoir

Latest posts

Back