Watering seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets see if any new fish swim in
Good luck
I just fed them diluted nutes. I have clay pebbles I need to clean. I'm go to get the hydro going today. I'm going to do that now. Thanks

Is your water so bad that you NEED to use distilled water? If your tap water is not too high in dissolved solids, I would use tap water. If not, stick with the distilled or go with RO water.

You are going to want to start your nutes at a very dilute rate and work up. With GH 3 part, I never needed to use Cal-Mg in vegging, but I did add it in flowering.

Your pH is very important when doing hydro. You will want to try and maintain it between about 5.5 nd 6.0.

Also, with DWC, it is almost impossible to have too many bubbles. So, get good airstones and a pump big enough to push enough air.

Is your water so bad that you NEED to use distilled water? If your tap water is not too high in dissolved solids, I would use tap water. If not, stick with the distilled or go with RO water.

You are going to want to start your nutes at a very dilute rate and work up. With GH 3 part, I never needed to use Cal-Mg in vegging, but I did add it in flowering.

Your pH is very important when doing hydro. You will want to try and maintain it between about 5.5 nd 6.0.

Also, with DWC, it is almost impossible to have too many bubbles. So, get good airstones and a pump big enough to push enough air.

I need to get a ppm pen. I have a BluLab ph pen and I bought a 4 pot DWC hydro system . I'm going to transfer them into the system tomorrow.

Last edited:

I loaded up the hydro system yesterday with Flora Series nutes. I ph it to 5.8. I went down today at 10am and the ph was 7.8. Is this normal ? I guess I need to check it more often.

JJ
Did you remember to rinse the Hydroton (clay pebbles) I always rinsed my coco to prevent a coco swing PH
I wonder if the Hydroton could be leaning high or low ph.
I used to mix up a ph water to 5.6 and use that to flush my coco before use
Just a thought.

While hydrotron should be rinsed because of the dust, it is inert and should not affect pH. PH'ing chemicals can take a while to stabilize. I generally would draw water (if you use tap water with chlorine in it let it sit out for 24 hours), add nutes, pH and then let sit overnight and adjust the pH as needed.

Temps can affect the pH.

I was just reading a bit, and they were sayin to soak the hydroton for 6 hrs then rinse the dust off
Also they were speaking of a PH rise not doing so.
Like I said I have seen new coco do the same, but coco fibers are processed mostly near salt water and the salts needs to be washed out before buffering the coco for 1st time use.
They did say to rinse all new hydroton before use.
Good Luck

No, that is not normal. What did you use to pH your solution? What is your water source?
My water is distilled. I have GH PH up and PH down. I used the 4 in rockwool cubes and I only left them soak for an hour in ph 5.8 distilled water. This is probably the problem. Tomorrow I'm going to reduce the reservoir by maybe 5 gallons. Where I bought my hydro system the guy said to use 36 gallons of water. It's too much. The water comes up to 2 inches from the top of the bucket. The rockwool cubes will stay drenched.

JJ
Did you remember to rinse the Hydroton (clay pebbles) I always rinsed my coco to prevent a coco swing PH
I wonder if the Hydroton could be leaning high or low ph.
I used to mix up a ph water to 5.6 and use that to flush my coco before use
Just a thought.
I was just reading a bit, and they were sayin to soak the hydroton for 6 hrs then rinse the dust off
Also they were speaking of a PH rise not doing so.
Like I said I have seen new coco do the same, but coco fibers are processed mostly near salt water and the salts needs to be washed out before buffering the coco for 1st time use.
They did say to rinse all new hydroton before use.
Good Luck
Yeah I rinsed it good. I only left my 4 in. rockwool cubes soak for an hour in ph 5.8 distilled water. I'm thinking this is the problem.

While hydrotron should be rinsed because of the dust, it is inert and should not affect pH. PH'ing chemicals can take a while to stabilize. I generally would draw water (if you use tap water with chlorine in it let it sit out for 24 hours), add nutes, pH and then let sit overnight and adjust the pH as needed.

Temps can affect the pH.
My reservoir temp is 66 degrees and my grow room goes from 69 to 75 degrees. This hydro reservoir is outside the grow room.

JJ --Welcome to MP -- I run aero under LEDs -- I use Botanicare nutes and run a live res. -- I was running a whole 2 month bloom cycle without a res. change -- It's tricky --
I have an RO system that cost me $125 -- RO or distilled water U need the Cal/Mag ---I was using 5 mils per gallon - There should be plenty in tap water or dirt -- The "live" part of my res comes from some stuff called Voodoo juice !
Good luck with your grow!

JJ --Welcome to MP -- I run aero under LEDs -- I use Botanicare nutes and run a live res. -- I was running a whole 2 month bloom cycle without a res. change -- It's tricky --
I have an RO system that cost me $125 -- RO or distilled water U need the Cal/Mag ---I was using 5 mils per gallon - There should be plenty in tap water or dirt -- The "live" part of my res comes from some stuff called Voodoo juice !
Good luck with your grow!
Thanks Keef. I bought this 4 pot hydro system. I called the store to ask how much water to use. The guy said he remembers this sale because nobody buys them they buy the 6 pot. He said to use 36 gallons. It's too much. I was going to run the pump 4 hrs on 2 hrs off. I turned the the valve off and shut the pump off to put on a timer and my buckets started over flowing flooding the floor. Lol I think 36 gallons are for the 6 pot. I

Last edited:
JJ -- This is one of my aero boxes -- That's a 396 gph filtered pump glued to a ceramic tile for stability-- Cost me about $50 to build a complete box -- The pump is on a timer --15 on-15 off -- There is also an aquarium air pump and air stone to keep fresh air in the box -- I start with about 12 gallons of nute water in each box - I clone grow and bloom in them -- Only problem is those 2 inch aero basket are too small so I kept the plants small-- I'll be going with 4 or 6 inch baskets with those clay balls but I still like my foam collars !
20190207_130938.jpg

JJ -- This is one of my aero boxes -- That's a 396 gph filtered pump glued to a ceramic tile for stability-- Cost me about $50 to build a complete box -- The pump is on a timer --15 on-15 off -- There is also an aquarium air pump and air stone to keep fresh air in the box -- I start with about 12 gallons of nute water in each box - I clone grow and bloom in them -- Only problem is those 2 inch aero basket are too small so I kept the plants small-- I'll be going with 4 or 6 inch baskets with those clay balls but I still like my foam collars !View attachment 251636

I like this setup. My problem is I only have one room so I have to start from seed every grow. If this crop works out I'll build another room for cuttings. I have a 600 watt HPS I can use. I'll make a set up like yours for cuttings.

It's a good cloner -- I was in dirt over 5 years ago and got knats and didn't know what to do at the time so I got an aero cloner cut the plants up and put them in the cloner -- ended up adding nutes and just stuck with it -- Looks like U got enough room to divide the grow or put in a grow tent -- I was running a 4 part rotation of 60 day finishers -- Every 2 weeks a group gets moved to bloom from veg - After 2 months they start coming out of bloom every 2 weeks -- I ran a white widow over and over for about 5 years !-- I got sloppy and lost her to bugs !
Gotta have a veg and bloom but it works great long as veg can keep up with bloom -- I'll probably keep this system for cloning and early veg and may switch to a drip and drain or spray and drain system !-- Not sure yet !

I like this setup. My problem is I only have one room so I have to start from seed every grow. If this crop works out I'll build another room for cuttings. I have a 600 watt HPS I can use. I'll make a set up like yours for cuttings.
You can clone pretty much anywhere. I put mine under a couple of 23 watt cfls(for 6-10 clones). Can put them in a box in a closet. I have kept clones in a stunted state(no nutes, just the cfl lighting, not begging just keeping them alive waiting to go to veg) for a couple of months because I was waiting for my flowering plants to finish.

Latest posts

Back