What is an Ozonator?

• Thread starter The Hemp Goddess
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

The Hemp Goddess

Okay, so I buy this thing at a garage sale (really a storage unit sale). I think this is a homemade T5 setup that looks like it could be cool for clones.

However.....

11-6-09 015-2.jpg

...when I get it home and plug it in, this is what it looks like:

I start looking at the thing and a very faint sticker on the back says "Northwest Ozonator Co." So anyone know what I have here? :confused:

As a side note, I picked up a 400W Hydrofarm 400MH with an air cooled hood at the same sale.

11-6-09 017-2.jpg

I am familiar with ozone generators, but I can't tell what you have there. Some OG's make use of a UV light treated with titanium dioxide to create ozone, but those don't look like UV lights.......

Anything special about the T5's? What's inside the box, just a standard ballast? Ozone is pretty strong smelling, very similar to the smell of a xerox machine when making a bunch of copies. Do you smell anything from the lights?

here's a link

hxxp://www.drclark.net/en/products_devices/devices/ozonator.php

hmmm... interesting. I think that you bought one that was created using mercury tubes, they discharge a lot of UV so don't look at it. It is an ozone generator, i see the basic parts in place, a voltage multiplyer, glass to separate the two ends from arcing and a glow.

Most Ozone generators glow purple, not green, no gas other than o2 in play i guess. I use just sheets of metal, usually zinc and you separate them with glass, and place the tranformer wires onto each peice of metal and the glass stops it from arcing so you don't get a completed circuate. That does look like a tranformer on the right, i use a 3000-75000 one, i get them from neon signs that people thro out because they broke the glass somewhere and the sign doesn't work anymore, but the transformer still does :)

Pot Belly said:
I am familiar with ozone generators, but I can't tell what you have there. Some OG's make use of a UV light treated with titanium dioxide to create ozone, but those don't look like UV lights.......

Anything special about the T5's? What's inside the box, just a standard ballast? Ozone is pretty strong smelling, very similar to the smell of a xerox machine when making a bunch of copies. Do you smell anything from the lights?

This emits a fairly strong smell and the lights give off a kind of buzz or hum. It is controlled by a rheostat that is on the end of the box. I have not opened the box to see what is inside. Since these are not T5 lights, I do not believe that it contains ballasts as I first believed. It probably houses a transformer of some kind Like SP mentioned.

Hmmm! Could be useful. I bet the UV light might stimulate trich production, and the ozone could be fed into the air being extracted from the room to kill odour.

Seems like a buddy of mine bought an ozone generator years ago that was called an ozonator. Brand name as i recall. Been a long time though. Didn't look like that either

The Hemp Goddess said:
...when I get it home and plug it in, this is what it looks like:

May the force be with you, Hemp Goddess!

The Hemp Goddess said:
This emits a fairly strong smell and the lights give off a kind of buzz or hum. It is controlled by a rheostat that is on the end of the box.
Definitely an ozone generator from what you described. The lights won't be particularly usefull for growing. They are not good to look at, even with your peripheral vision as they will scorch your retinas.

Ozone (o3) does to air what Clorox does in your wash. It is good for odor elimination like leafminer said. Too much ozone is not good to breathe.

The rheostat controls the amount of ozone output.

Latest posts

Back