What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pressure washing my deck and feeding my garden today. In the backyard most of the day. Once I came inside, my wife asked what happened to one of our bird feeders. I filled them all after I got back from checking my plants so I know it was there around noon. Nowhere to be found. I saw a bunch of torn up old logs in the woods which I think was probably from a bear looking for grubs. I wonder if he/ she followed me home and robbed me…

I didn’t break up the family yesterday I guess. Henrietta and the poults showed up at my feeders. She is skittish for sure. She would bolt every time I moved even at 4 feet behind my glass slider. Probably why she still has all 3 poults. Good mom…
8E371CC2-63B1-4D25-AD34-CE9AEA115EAF.jpeg

View attachment 302594

I will assume, from the lack of reaction this picture produced when I posted it on another thread, that nobody here recognized the plant.
I thought, since it is in my backyard, I would repost the picture here, and provide a little more detail.
This is ginseng, I have quite a bit growing on my place.
Back in the early 80’s, I dug enough one fall to buy a sweet little 20 gauge Remington Wingmaster.
I still have it, and it has been well cared for.
Back then, ginseng was bringing $300 per pound.
The last few years, the price has fluctuated somewhere between $500-$800 per pound.
I don’t dig it as much as I used to, but every few years, a pound or two makes a nice Christmas bonus.
It kinda looks like stuff in my yard that I always thought was poison oak or virginia creeper. is this something that only grows on the wild? Seems folks would grow it in their garden since it brings such a good price. Kinda like thos mushrooms people hunt I guess. I know nothing about either if you haven’t guessed…🙃

It kinda looks like stuff in my yard that I always thought was poison oak or virginia creeper. is this something that only grows on the wild? Seems folks would grow it in their garden since it brings such a good price. Kinda like thos mushrooms people hunt I guess. I know nothing about either if you haven’t guessed…🙃

More than likely, you have Virginia creeper in your yard. Ginseng grows wild in the woods. It needs lots of shade. It can be cultivated, but “tame” sang does not have the same value.

Japanese beetles are out in full force at the school near my house. They are all over this plant(not sure what it is but it must be delicious). They are also chewing up a wild raspberry patch. Checked my garden when I got home and not a beetle to be found. I theorize that my lack of insects in the yard is due to the huge bird population eating at the Fogey Diner. We had a ton of robins picking at the lawn in the spring. Maybe they were de-grubbing my yard.
0AC9CAAE-7E6E-4FC4-8633-2976504DBCFE.jpeg

Young birds keep flying into my sun porch windows while learning to fly. I have UV stickers up on the windows but apparently not enough. This young Nuthatch was pretty stunned. So much do he let me pick him up and he held onto my finger while I brought him to the bird bath. Hopefully he recovers. Disposed of a cat bird yesterday that was not as lucky…
CF3151FF-D040-4928-A875-B97C57605835.jpeg

Young birds keep flying into my sun porch windows while learning to fly. I have UV stickers up on the windows but apparently not enough. This young Nuthatch was pretty stunned. So much do he let me pick him up and he held onto my finger while I brought him to the bird bath. Hopefully he recovers. Disposed of a cat bird yesterday that was not as lucky…View attachment 302808
Same darn birds do it to my sliding glass doors a few times a yr
I pick them up and they shake it off and are fine

Latest posts

Back