What is in your backyard?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stocked up on black oil sunflower seed and suet. Fifteen 40 lb bags and ten 10-packs of suet. Should last my fine feathered friends until March or so…
C64FBD1C-A20F-4433-B2C8-97E5423E5049.jpeg

Aren't those Juncos the ones that hop head first down the tree? We've got a bunch of 'em. Cute little birds.
My 'peckers, Downys and Hairys have been back for a couple of months now. They don't really leave, but they stay out in the woods eating bugs.

Aren't those Juncos the ones that hop head first down the tree? We've got a bunch of 'em. Cute little birds.
My 'peckers, Downys and Hairys have been back for a couple of months now. They don't really leave, but they stay out in the woods eating bugs.
I think you are thinking of nuthatches. They grab sunflower seeds and take them to a tree, stuff the seed into a crevice on the bark and crack the seed open almost like a woodpecker. I get woodpeckers all year ‘round. They like the suet cages I have(as long as the bears or raccoons haven’t stolen them).

Junco
61643A32-30B6-44C4-8156-640352BADC16.jpeg

Nuthatch
A3B9399E-00D7-48CA-BC9B-A3A57FA001B3.jpeg

Yep, you're right. We've got both, but it was nuthatches I was thinking about. I love birds.
About four years ago, we had an albino sparrow show up. He/she only lasted the season, but they sure did have the folks on our little road talking.

Stocked up on black oil sunflower seed and suet. Fifteen 40 lb bags and ten 10-packs of suet. Should last my fine feathered friends until March or so…View attachment 315505
I'm envious, black sunflower seed down this way is hard to find and 3 times the price of last year...my feeders are full but they don't stay that way for long...cardinals and woodpeckers are thrilled with my feeders...

I'm envious, black sunflower seed down this way is hard to find and 3 times the price of last year...my feeders are full but they don't stay that way for long...cardinals and woodpeckers are thrilled with my feeders...
My local hardware store sent out a flyer about 6 weeks ago offering 40 lb bags of black oil sunflower seed gor $26.99. Regularly they are $39.99. 18 months ago(hmmm, what happened then?), I would get bags for under $20. I go thru 80 lbs every few weeks so I couldn’t pass up the deal.

I use to feed the birds but the dove and squirrels kept cleaning me out. Not to mention all the fking seeds that ended up in my grass and killing my St Augustine. I feed the Hummingbirds and that's it.

Last edited:
I use to feed the birds but the dove and squirrels kept cleaning me out. Not to mention all the fking seeds that ended up in my grass and killing my St Augustine grass. I feed the Hummingbirds and that's it.
One day with the Nutheads and all my feeders are down and ripped open

I use to feed the birds but the dove and squirrels kept cleaning me out. Not to mention all the fking seeds that ended up in my grass and killing my St Augustine. I feed the Hummingbirds and that's it.
I use the husks as mulch in my flower gardens. There is some chemical in the husks that prevent other seeds from sprouting so it helps keep weeds down. Then again, I have a lot of husks and have to do something with them.

I feed 'em all; deer, four flavors of squirrels, and every bird in the county, as well as any other critter that comes up. Ever seen a corn fed coon? Middle of winter last year, I swear he was the fattest bastard I've ever seen.
I have suet fed coons. Spring time they look fit. At this point in the year, the all look like they could use an appearance on The Biggest Loser. Only 3 flavors of squirrels here(grey, red and chipmunk) but, yep, all are welcome(though I hate the holes the chipmunks make in my yard)…

Latest posts

Back