what not to do

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
the green guy on youtube said to top the plant 1 week into 12/12. i am 8 weeks in bloom, and close to harvest. 1 plant was topped 2 were not. it is obvious that topping this plant did it no good. the 2 nontopped plants are much heavier. Second harvest, i realized that for what im trying to do no topping is necessary. i want constant uninterupted growth. topping slows this down.

tryguy2011 said:
the green guy on youtube said to top the plant 1 week into 12/12. i am 8 weeks in bloom, and close to harvest. 1 plant was topped 2 were not. it is obvious that topping this plant did it no good. the 2 nontopped plants are much heavier. Second harvest, i realized that for what im trying to do no topping is necessary. i want constant uninterupted growth. topping slows this down.

The problem with his topping recommendation (IMO) is that he is ruining yield by topping one week into flower. I would top at least one week BEFORE flower so the plant can recover and the other shoots can get bigger. Topping can be great if you want shorter plants or a flat canopy instead of colas. As far as yield goes if you top before flowering starts you should notice no or a negligible difference in yield in my opinion.

-SSF-

i topped a week before switching to 12/12 on my first harvest, and got 1.5oz. from 1 plant and 2oz. from the other.

I have a buddy who topped a plant of his about a month before going into flower and he got 5-6oz from it. I think you need to let the plant veg for a while longer, you're topping and switching to 12/12 too close together. jmo.

Topping, or any other type of High Stress type of plant modification is going to make the plant do exactly what it does naturally when harmed; it's going to send massive amounts of "healing" hormones to the harmed spots and slow it's own growth while the walls of the stem are healed, strengthened and no more healing is needed. Depending on the amount of tops you take in ratio to the entire mass of the plant, that healing could take longer or less time than others have experienced.

I disagree with the Green Guy on that. To me, topping a plant at the same time you switch its lighting regimen will only slow the plant down. I think topping should be done before switching to flowering lighting and nutrients and the plant should have plenty of time to heal completely before being put into flower.

This will give the plant it's best chance at being 100% and lessen the amount of work the plant has to do to alter itself to a flowering mode.

JMHO however. This like everything else is thought of in many, many ways be lots of people. You have to try a method you think is right and see how it works for you.

The best growers in the world have tweaked their growing techniques a bunch of times.

My advice? Do all your topping before the last two weeks prior to flowering. You can start when the plant has 3 nodes. The most I've ever topped was with each plant having 32 tops. It filled the room very well, but took much longer than if I had not topped.

For a continuous grow, your yearly weight will probably be close to being the same as long as you put enough "one top" plants in it. The one massive cola will look way better than the 900 smaller tops you'll get if you go top crazy.

Man, I am so high....sorry if I was rambling. Broke out some one year old AI and bonged it up. It's still good!

I've always topped long before switching the lights to 12 hr.

I think topping is without a doubt the way to go if you are limited on plants, you can increase the amount of colas and total weight in my opinion. I have been doing a lot of youtube surfing lately. check this guys topped plants out in this video I watched his how to video and he says he starts topping just weeks into veg. I am sure doing this slows down the process, but the end result speaks for itself.JMO

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmOrWmvqamY&feature=related

I topped one Jack and not the other. Got the same weight off both plants (clones)

StoneyBud said:
Topping, or any other type of High Stress type of plant modification is going to make the plant do exactly what it does naturally when harmed; it's going to send massive amounts of "healing" hormones to the harmed spots and slow it's own growth while the walls of the stem are healed, strengthened and no more healing is needed. Depending on the amount of tops you take in ratio to the entire mass of the plant, that healing could take longer or less time than others have experienced.

I disagree with the Green Guy on that. To me, topping a plant at the same time you switch its lighting regimen will only slow the plant down. I think topping should be done before switching to flowering lighting and nutrients and the plant should have plenty of time to heal completely before being put into flower.

This will give the plant it's best chance at being 100% and lessen the amount of work the plant has to do to alter itself to a flowering mode.

JMHO however. This like everything else is thought of in many, many ways be lots of people. You have to try a method you think is right and see how it works for you.

The best growers in the world have tweaked their growing techniques a bunch of times.

My advice? Do all your topping before the last two weeks prior to flowering. You can start when the plant has 3 nodes. The most I've ever topped was with each plant having 32 tops. It filled the room very well, but took much longer than if I had not topped.

For a continuous grow, your yearly weight will probably be close to being the same as long as you put enough "one top" plants in it. The one massive cola will look way better than the 900 smaller tops you'll get if you go top crazy.

Man, I am so high....sorry if I was rambling. Broke out some one year old AI and bonged it up. It's still good!

I agree... Two weeks before flowering to allow the ladies ample time to heal before devoting all their energy to pumping out beautiful buds!

Latest posts

Back