What to do with Hermies?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six_seven_one

Reaction score
Im pretty pissed right now.
I started with 7 plants, all 7 turned out female.
Temps around 80, using FF nutes and soil and a 400 hps for lighting.
What went wrong I dont know, maybe bad bag seeds.
Anyways what should I do with the 4 that hermied about 2 weeks into flowering?

I was thinking to bring them outdoors and let them finish or can I leave them indoors and continue to pick the naners when they show themselve?

Hello six_seven_one :)

If you see naners then they are going to shed pollen and pollinate all your other plants.

Bagseed are notorious for turning hermie.

Personally I would destroy them, but its your call, if you have weather that will allow you to finish them off outside, then give it a go.

If you tend to the hermies outside you will get hermie pollen on your hands and clothing, if you then go and tend your inside plants, you will have hermie pollen on your hands and clothing and this will float in the air and pollinate your inside plants.

See the dangers of keeping hermies alive?

There is every possibility that your other plants will hermie as well because they are bagseed.

Not all bagseed goes hermie, but it sounds like you have hermie seeds.

:peace:

Allright Ill probably end up chopping them it just sucks cuz they looked so good until they hermied.
BUT I guess 3 nice females are better then 7 seeded out plants

Thanx HIE

Heres a quick question, is it possible that they can stop growing nanners?
Or are they stuck at being a hermie?

Did your penis stop growing?

They will grow continually, pick 100 off and 100 re grow.
:rofl: awesome analogy HIE. very defining LOL

This is why I never use bagseed. And 7 for 7 females should have been a clue. I would get rid of them. Even if you put them outside, I doubt that you can keep the girls inside from becoming pollinated--that pollen goes everywhere. And keep a close eye on the others--they are likely to hermie, too.

I had about 8 out of 25 clones hermie about 6 weeks in and i used a combination of dutchmaster reverse and purple maxx and i have yet to find one seed, been smoking it daily for two weeks. The dutchmaster reverse would kill the pollen sacks but wouldn't stop them from growing. So i started using purple maxx as a foliar with DM penetrator sprayed them about every 4 days while lights were on for two weeks. None of the pollen sacks reached maturity none opened up and no more were noticed to be growing. The buds turned frosty, partially purple, and I did not loose one plant. The only downside was ugly *** nanners on the buds. In my case the nanners only formed on the tops so im guessing it was stress related somewhere on my part but it all worked out in the end. They were fem seed clones which i will never do again.

DutchMasterPuff said:
...In my case the nanners only formed on the tops so im guessing it was stress related somewhere on my part but it all worked out in the end. They were fem seed clones which i will never do again.

The fault is most likely in the genetics. I had a hermie pollinate an entire crop one time many years ago. Since then, I have never used a bag seed and only once have I planted a fem seed and I do not have hermies. And, trust me, just because I have done this for a long time does not mean that I do not screw up and stress my plants.. Sometimes I have to be out of town and they run out of water, or an air line pulled lose, or the door got left ajar after lights out, or a timer failed, or I over/under nuted, etc, etc. Hermies precreate hermies.

If 4 out of 7 turned Hermie in first 2 weeks then it's extremely likely that the other 3 will also turn the corner on ya too. I hope they don't but it's a high likely hood.
Good luck!

The Hemp Goddess said:
The fault is most likely in the genetics. I had a hermie pollinate an entire crop one time many years ago. Since then, I have never used a bag seed and only once have I planted a fem seed and I do not have hermies. And, trust me, just because I have done this for a long time does not mean that I do not screw up and stress my plants.. Sometimes I have to be out of town and they run out of water, or an air line pulled lose, or the door got left ajar after lights out, or a timer failed, or I over/under nuted, etc, etc. Hermies precreate hermies.

I agree, now that i think about it the crop consisted of three moms one mom gave clones that hermied the other two didn't. although i've found my solution for future hermies i still would never buy another fem seed for the simple fact that i don't want sacks all over my buds or the fear of them still ending up producing seeds.

Back