What to do with the males?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
elvis said:
.......Just curious: why do you like hash more than MJ? I only smoked it once, while in Amsterdam, but was so baked at the time I didnt notice the difference. Let me know...I hate to trash all those males, it seems so sexist. Would love to put them to use.Elvis
Hey Elvis, I forgot to answer to that question: no special reason why I like more hash than MJ. Just a question of taste and effect.

TURKEYNECK said:
If you allow the males to mature the pods will open up and release pollen, which will cause your females to develop seeds.

If you see female AND male traits its a hermie..which will also pollenate the females, I would get rid of any hermies AS SOON as you notice them. Inspect them regularly, Females can turn hermie for many reasons, Light leaks will interupt the females 'night' cycle and cause her to grow balls:eek:
This seems to be the most common cause of 'self pollenation' Herms will produce bud also but it's not ganna be enough to risk your crop.

As far as the hash oils from the males, It would take ALOT of male plants to make this worth while IMO, simply because the pollen is a very fine dust that could potentially 'hitch a ride' on your hands, tools, supplies, hair..It only take one microscopic spec of pollen to ruin your crop. I take the males and hermies far far away.

If you keep a couple of strong females for mothers you'll thank yourself later.
Just take a cutting from each plant, label the cuttings and donor plants respectively, toss your cuttings into individual cups in plain water, and put them under a 12/12 light cycle, within two weeks you should be able to identify the males from females from the cuttings so you can continue to veg the females and get rid of the males before they even show pods;)

Sorry to hijack the thread...Im bored:D HOPE THIS HELPS. KEEP READING.

Above is worth a million bumps..

how you can sex your plant before you throw into flowering cycle..:headbang2: :headbang2:

To extend on the sexing, with the clone you put into 12/12 cycle.

Can you use a regular cheap light on 12/12 just to sex a certain plant,
not worrying about the clone.

We have some nice pics of the difference between a male and woman plant.

But when the first signs show up of a male plant remove it from the ladies.

Here some pics:

(couldn't show the pics not allowed unfortunally)

Here some info then:

Cannabis plants are either male or female. The male plants produce pollen which pollenates the flowers of the female plant, which once pollenized, produce seeds. If the female plant isn`t pollenized (if there are no male plants nearby producing pollen), the flower/buds continue to develop and produce THC. Female plants which are not pollenized are referred to as sensemilla (without seeds).
Usually 40-50% of the plants are male.

A female can either generate a large seedless bud, a large bud with a few seeds, or a large bud that is almost totally seeds. The first case is achieved by removing all the male plants before any of their flowers open. The second case occurs when a few male flowers have opened but you remove them before any more open. The third case occurs when you miss-time the flowering of the male. This can be devastating if you have big female plants because you could loose 90% of the smokable herb to seed production.
The spotting of males is one of the most difficult of things to explain to a person that`s never grown since it really takes careful attention to how the tops of male plants look at this stage of development. Even experienced growers will be unsure at times and will have to wait till the next visit to be sure. When a male enters the stage of flower development, the tips of the branches where a bud would develop will start to grow what looks like a little bud (little balls) but it will have no white hairs coming out of it. Females will have no balls and will have small white hairs.

Males are often, but not always, tall with stout stems, sporadic branching, and few leaves. Males are usually harvested except those used for breeding, after their sex has been determined, but before the pollen is shed. When harvesting, especially if close to females, cut the plant off at the base, taking care to shake the male as little as possible. This helps prevent any accidental pollination by an unnoticed, open male flower.

You really want to know what to do with males.If you are not trying to keep a strain going.KILL IT,KILL IT,KILL IT:hitchair: Thats all I have to say :hubba:

Latest posts

Back