When to Transplant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokeyPuppy420

Reaction score
I have some nice AK47 plants currently in one-gallon plastic pots. The plants are only 4-5 inches tall, but I can already see roots protruding from the holes at the bottom of the pots.

Does this mean I should transplant them into larger pots now? If I wait a week or more would they become root-bound?

Thanks.

I wait for them to get a wee bit hungry/fade, or you can check the root ball to see if it's rootbound yet....

7greeneyes said:
I wait for them to get a wee bit hungry/fade, or you can check the root ball to see if it's rootbound yet....

+1 on checking the rootball. It it's from seed, it will get to the bottom waaaay before the entire pot is filled.

Wet

A basic "rule of thumb" is 1 gal for every foot of height. I am pretty sure that plants that are only 4-5 inches tall have not filled a 1 gal pot with roots.

Wetdog said:
+1 on checking the rootball. It it's from seed, it will get to the bottom waaaay before the entire pot is filled.

Wet

Yes, they're from seed. Thanks.

The Hemp Goddess said:
A basic "rule of thumb" is 1 gal for every foot of height. I am pretty sure that plants that are only 4-5 inches tall have not filled a 1 gal pot with roots.

Thanks. I was hoping I didn't have to transplant them just yet.

Latest posts

Back