when to use mh on seedlings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluealein56

Misderected Hostilty
Reaction score
I have a few seedlings in my propogation tray. the seedlings are starting to get a bout and inch or two away from the light. they have started to grow a little faster as well
im going out of town for two days and im scared a couple of them are going to get too close or be touching the light when i come back. the light is a 2ft 24/w t5 light set built into a propogation tray.
I have my new setup together
( 400 w mh/hps air cooled hood with 6 ho can fan.) Should i go ahead and take the doom off and put them under the mh or is it too soon for this? They are only a week and a hlf old . just got their second set of leaf's.

I have started under flour and went to mh (400w) but i waited for the third set of actual leaves before the move. I am very interested in this as well because id like to start under my mh and maybe just raise it up at first slowly lowering it, then come flower time hit it with more light

last time i just did the whole process with the mh. first time using a propogation tray or fluros. just trying to see what everyone elses does

thats what im using right now

030.JPG

I'd keep it under the T5's if I were you. You want to encourage tight nodes and short squat growth and fluoros are great for the early vegging of your seedlings, especially since you're going out of town. If you put the T5's about 5-6" above your plants you'll be fine for the weekend. It's better to wait until you are around to 'harden off' the seedlings by exposing them to mh light at a distance for only a few hours at a time and slowly ramp the time up until you switch to the mh.

Happy Growing!

yeah didnt wanna just throw them under the "sun" just yet. i guess ill find a way to prop the dome up higher. the light i actaully built into the dome so ill have top figure out how to raise that. thanks for the help dirtyolsouth.
i myslef live in the dirty south, just west of peachtree;)

I just sprouted 5 seeds and put them under a 400 watt mh on day 2. Haven't had any stretch issues and they're now a week old and sprouting their 3rd set of leaves.

If I were going away, I'd leave them under the flouros.

Biggest thing to worry about under the MH IMHO is them drying out. I have them about 8" from the light and just transplanted to 1/2 gallon pots. Haven't watered in 2 days. Doing fine.

Latest posts

Back