White flies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkbkr102

Reaction score
I am having a problem with white flies. They are suddenly on my plants and I don't know why. I haven't brought anything new into their room. My main concern is getting rid of them. I was considering the organic spray recipe in the troubleshooting guide, but I have a few questions. Will any of the ingredients hurt my plants? I just don't see how dish soap could be healthy for them. What about green peppers? Won't that burn them? I already have a sticky fly trap in there and it seems to be working, but I want to be sure they are gone. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it.

i just took an electric tennis requet to mine, then got out the vaccume and hit it like every hour....

lol good luck...

well a highly diluted dish soap works for lots of plants... but the best thing is to very gently wipe the leaves and apply neem oil or something similar. I am having a similar issue.

update: I went to lowes and found a product called "Safer brand" Seaweed extract insect killing soap. It's in a spray bottle, cost like 6 bucks, but it worked great. Apply every 7 days and it killed all aphids and whiteflies on contact. Safe up to last day of harvest also.

there i a sticky that addresses white fly erradication directly. If it has been moved from the "Sick plants" page, try looking on the "Growers Resource" page.

I sprayed my plants with an organic spray, but I accientally sprayed a little bit of the buds. Now the tips of some of the hairs are burned. Is my crop ruined, or will they recover?

What "organic" spray did you use?

Were the lights ON or OFF when you sprayed? Depending on the solution of the spray, and the closeness of the lights, liquids can be a catalyst for heat, like a magnifying glass and cause burns.

The lights were on, and I used the spray that you recomended. The Safer Brand with seaweed extract.

Shouldn't of burned your plants. I use it weekly on buds and all with lights 3" from the tops.

Got a picture?

Sorry, no pics. I have no idea why the hairs got burned. None of the leaves were affected. Maybe I oversprayed them. How much do you spray them? I just hope they can recover. They've been doing so well. The best crop I've had yet.

i just had a FUNGUS FLY infestation, killed them all in 2 days...

ORGANICIDE spray (sesame oil and fish juice), and....
sticky paper, I used the the stuff from seasodelabs.com

really worked... ya smelled like hell for a few days, but they are gone.

the larvae burrow into the first 2 inches of the earth, this spray will get em.

since its colder out the insects find refuge in the heat of our growing sites.

Sounds pretty nasty. I think all of my white flies are gone now. After all that, I hope so. Seasodelabs.com? I'll check it out.

lkbkr102 said:
Sorry, no pics. I have no idea why the hairs got burned. None of the leaves were affected. Maybe I oversprayed them. How much do you spray them? I just hope they can recover. They've been doing so well. The best crop I've had yet.

the instructions say to spray until it runs off the leaves. Maybe it's just time for your pistils to change colors.??

I sprayed until it was dripping off the leaves, like it said. They're only in week 3 of flowering. I think they're doing better today. I see new hairs coming out, so I guess it's healing itself. I got pretty nervous for awhile, though.

Sounds to me like the water droplets acted as a magnifying glass to you presumably HID light. Thats just a guess that I am throwing out though.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned above... he said the lights were on, but I didn't think to ask what kind of lights. i don't use an HPS for flowering, I am using CFLs, that could be it.

I tried using CFL's for flowering, but I wasn't getting much out of my crops with it. I use a 600w HPS. They run pretty hot. It all makes sense now. Thanks for the help. Next time I will turn off the lights first.

Latest posts

Back