who likes to fish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was fishing on the bank of the Colorado river about 30 miles or so from the Hoover Dam. The spot I was fishing in was only accessible by driving on this loose sand road for about a half hour with the tires bagged out like half-filled balloons.

There were 6 of us and we set up tents and got a really good campsite going.

Well, towards evening, I was pretty buzzed on booze and weed and set up a lawn recliner parallel with the river and right on the very edge of a nice deep spot and started casting a spoon lure with a treble hook.

More weed, more booze, more fun with the guys around the fire and I ended up sleeping in that chair, stretched out and my line in the water with the current pulling on the lure enough to keep it off the bottom.

I put the pole over the arm of the chair and tucked it under the other chair arm and dozed off.

At about 2am, I awoke with a huge YANK on the pole, (med-heavy with 15 pound test), and when I jerked the pole without thinking, it tipped me right into the damn river.

I became fully awake about halfway to the water, it was a full moon out, so I could see pretty good. I landed right dab on top of my rod. It's probably the only reason it got saved.

There was a short "beach" about 30 yards downstream and I swam for it while keeping my rod firmly in my grasp. I climbed out and after laughing a bit, started cranking in my line.

The damn pole almost doubled over into the water! Whatever it was, (I had no idea at the time), it was still on!

I played it good and landed a striped bass that when held by its gills at shoulder level, it just touched the ground. A real beauty!

All six of us ate on that fish for the entire day starting with breakfast and finished it off the next day from the coolers. It was delicious!

Striped bass grilled over an open campfire and eaten in the fresh air is almost heaven.

I have no idea what the fish weighed and being a bunch of young men on a camping/drinking/gambling/getting high trip, we had no camera, just a lot of hungry men!

We drew straws on each night, with the previous losers standing out, and one person watched camp while the rest of us went into Vegas and raised hell and gambled. We each took a change of clothes and washed up in a gas station sink on the way, so we didn't seem like the Beverly Hillbillies.

Found a new use for a fly organizer, the mrs. took it to the dispensary!!!

P1080372.JPG

In south florida snook, tarpon are what I like to target.. In the warmer months our inlets fill up with these fish.. Theres nothing like a nice morning. cool ocean breeze coming in off the ocean, fishing Jupiter inlet using a live ladyfish for bait.. Hero

hey hero, i've fished quite a bit a little south of jupiter, around lake worth, just catchin lady fish on a little trout rods a blast. Man I miss fishing Florida, I've got a cousin who lives on the other coast on pine island, he's about 10 miles from boca grande,I could talk all day about fishing.

SKAGITMAGIC said:
hey hero, I've fished quite a bit a little south of jupiter, around lake worth, just catchin lady fish on a little trout rods a blast. Man I miss fishing Florida, I've got a cousin who lives on the other coast on pine island, he's about 10 miles from boca grande,I could talk all day about fishing.

Man, you just reminded me of a fishing/camping trip I went on.

If you go to the north side of Jupiter Inlet and look south-east, you'll see an island. A group of us canoed over to it and set up camp.

There is a small creek that passes from the head of the inlet to further down the inlet on the other end of the island.

At the crack of dawn, on an incoming tide, that creek will give up many, many fish of all kinds. It was like fishing in an aquarium.

Two of us caught enough fish to feed the group for the entire day in only 30 minutes.

The draw-back to camping there was the rats...hundreds of them. One guy had a CO2 pellet gun and he must have capped a hundred of them during the night. Big, healthy suckers. He called em "Zombie Rats" cause they kept on coming towards him even though he was killing em.

I was drunk and high....slept like a baby and got up just before dawn to fish!

If it ever quite raining I'll go trout fishing, but the turkeys gods were good to me last week:D

Gotta agree with stonybud on grilled striper while your camping,When I was a kid, me and my buds used to fish for stripers in San Francisco Bay,we'd take the AC TRANSIT to the Baitstore on Fruitdale Ave. in Oakland,then get on the next bus to Berkley. They had a pier that must of been a mile long, We'd catch all kinds of sharks, rays, stripers, perch, smelt, we just had a blast. When we got old enough to drive we'd follow the runs of stripers up the sac and san juaquin rivers. I got a Email this morning from my brother that the striper run on the feather River is just crazy this year.

ozzydiodude said:
If it ever quite raining I'll go trout fishing, but the turkeys gods were good to me last week:D
Did you get a turkey OZ? My brother lives around oroville, cali. Man he has alot of gobbling going on, it's been along time since i trout fished a small river or creek.

Looks like a nice place to drop a line 4u.

Here is my effort at fishing a couple days ago. The lake is finally warming and the fish are beginning to move..... I think, about the move anyway. I also got three undersize bass and one koekoene and a trout. The husband I was fishing with got the skunk.

bass.jpg

barn.jpg

Nice Bass TC, great scenery, I thought i'd try and post a pic from my days in Barron, wisconsin. I've always fished, circa 1954

Fishing Prarie Farm.jpg

Love all kinds of fishing, bass, trout, saltwater and love catching a good buzz before, during, and after fishing. My best striper tasted great. "Love the tug."

striper.45in.33lb.07292007_cr (691x1200).jpg

Latest posts

Back