Why not use MG

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkerz

Reaction score
For all those that wish to use Miracle Grow . READ ON .....

I was very skeptical when most of all the growers urge people not to use MG . I use it in my garden to grow everything from tomatoes to grapes. This stuff is great. Well I learned a hard lesson when it came to growing medicine. This is why...

In Feb I started to vegetation some White Widow in a 5 gallon bucket with Miracle Grow for soil. The stuff made it grow like crazy. Everything was soo perfect. May 1st I started to VEG . Things went very good. Now when June came along it started to show signs of nutrition issues. Last week I cut down the White Widow to Harvest.

OUTCOME:

When ever you go to the store, smell the bag of MG . Its very potent. Well that potent smell will make your weed smell and taste like MG . The taste is bitter and not something you want to smoke.

So for all of those that are new, DO NOT USE MG SOIL to start your grow. It will waste 5 to 6 months of your time and money. I would rather smoke oregano than this MG tasting BUD.

This is my first grow. So this IMO. I know other's can and love MG to grow, but the outcome was not good for me. I think that you need to be more advanced before you attempt to use MG.

I hope my experience will help others.

you said you used the MG soil... i assume the MG all purpose plant food would have a similar result??
i've been using about 1/4 dose every 3rd or 4th watering. its 15-30-15
other than that i use the budswell thats 0-7-0 and all organic..

Well I have 6 months down the drain. Electric and all my time was wasted. “ Crazy Guy “ said it right. Garbage smell in , Garbage taste out.

So MG nut is from the same company. They prolly put that same stuff in the soil bags. So I am totally against this in any of my future grows.

I used Miracle-Gro Organic Choice on my last grow, and it's awful. I watered with plain water before I went away for a couple days towards the end of the flowering stage, and when I got back the fan leaves were severely nute burned/PH-whacked -- I'm talking about dry, crispy fan leaves that were yellow and brown. The thing is, is I hadn't used nutes for at least a week before that so I know it had something to do with the soil.

Also, I can confirm that it does indeed impact the taste of the bud.

Stay away from all Miracle-Gro products!

k, im throw'n it away right now!
thanks for look'n out.

I agree there Monkerz but I have one question for you, did you flush before trying? It may have helped a little with the taste but not completely.

There was a poster on here once that popped into an organic thread and said something along the lines of, I don't know why these guys even care about organics or chemicals (referring to me and a couple others LOL) the plants don't know the difference. Well they are what they eat and we are what we eat. OK so maybe the plant can't tell the difference but I would, the end user is you and/or your family (veggies) and friends (veggies/MJ) so why not just get something organic CAUSE THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.

I would never grow anything in soil that requires you to wear gloves when handling, if was just because hands get dirty then fine but it's not. Also that stuff does wash off into our groundwater, I don't know if it's bad but I am an organic guy...at least as close as I can get. Even here right outside of Philly I can't find many organic products, and for those that don't know just a bit outside of the Philly area there are lots of farms, but sometimes I have to drive that far (about an hour) just to get some organics. For my MJ I have a friend who owns a hydro gardening store so I can get that stuff, but for the veggie garden I have to travel. It's worth it though, more work but more gratification, plus you get to tell people this is for you I used zero chemicals you should try it when you garden.

I almost feel like there is an MJ and chemical conspiracy LOL, but is it really that hard for these major chains to carry some Bat Guano, I mean an 8$ bag is not a bad deal and why not, you only widen your customer base IMO. I can't even get worm casting around here without a drive.

So Monkerz you have done soil and done hydro, is Coco next? LOL, sorry for the babble but I'm a bit tired at the moment. I might try chemicals here and there but I really like organics so much more it can be fun and not so hard once you get a system in place. Plus it's good for guys with kids, getting them composting and doing garden chores (legal gardens LOL) , and teaching them about organics...kids like to hear those bat guano stories, "Uncle snuggles, what is Bat Guano?" well it's bat poo and it's good for everyone involved LOL. Kids remeber those things better than if you talk chemicals with them...yuck to chemicals and ewww to poo.

snuggles said:
I agree there Monkerz but I have one question for you, did you flush before trying? It may have helped a little with the taste but not completely.

15 Days of flushing. Some days heavy and some days light. But overall, I think I did a good job flushing with only water.

Also I did the Aerorails at the same time when I started to VEG. The soil is already time to harvest while the Aero/Hydro smells great, looks great and still has 2-3 weeks of Veg. So for all you that have yet to read SNUGGLES DIY AERORAILS, check out my signature.

So Aero/Hyrdo is the way to go for me.

And no COCO for me. I might try some Ovaltine though.

I have been using MG for the last 4 weeks from seed. I had 4 plants and now am down to one, all of them died shortly after watering from Nute Burn.

My plan is to get some Fox Farms from a nursery nearby tomorrorrow and transplant before I lose my final one.

since MG is proven very crappy stuff i gues just grabbing a bulb and tansplanting is out of the question. Do i need to sperate the plant totally away (roots and all and transplant?) or is a little bit of he MG soil going to make a difference?

monkerz said:
In Feb I started to vegetation some White Widow in a 5 gallon bucket with Miracle Grow for soil. The stuff made it grow like crazy. Everything was soo perfect. May 1st I started to VEG . Things went very good. Now when June came along it started to show signs of nutrition issues. Last week I cut down the White Widow to Harvest.

im confused. do you know what your talkin about.. i've grow several plants in MG soil that came out very nice. good smell and very sweet taste. if you flush good on more than one time from start to finish it does fine. i changed soil because im still to new to grow with MG. also you said you flushed for days. how do you flush for days and the plant not be over watered to death.

you started vegetation in feb then started again on may 1 then harvested last week. im sure you meant flowering. i don't mean to sound rude if i do im sorry but just because i can't grow in hydro don't mean i should knocking the products.. the MG i used in my first grow was the worst thing ever but i added cow poo, MG perlite(prenuted), MG peat moss(prenuted). that plant stayed on the edge of nute burn it came out fine never had to feed it until flowering. if that plant survived that soil im sure it could stand up to straight MG.

its not the soils fault you don't know how to use it

if this offends anyone im sorry,

monkerz said:
For all those that wish to use Miracle Grow . READ ON .....

I was very skeptical when most of all the growers urge people not to use MG . I use it in my garden to grow everything from tomatoes to grapes. This stuff is great. Well I learned a hard lesson when it came to growing medicine. This is why...

OUTCOME:

When ever you go to the store, smell the bag of MG . Its very potent. Well that potent smell will make your weed smell and taste like MG . The taste is bitter and not something you want to smoke.

So for all of those that are new, DO NOT USE MG SOIL to start your grow. It will waste 5 to 6 months of your time and money. I would rather smoke oregano than this MG tasting BUD.

I hope my experience will help others.
i woulnt use it simply becuase i w ould guess close to half, maybe not that many, but a lot of posts in sick plants end up being directly related to mg. as well as the many experienced who warn of its evils. and ive said it before, i know someone has to use it sucessfully with mj...where are you someone?

i agree alot of people have had some problems with it including me. but after usin it i've found it can be used. you have to watch out when feeding. i would never put seedlings in MG soil. its not for everyone. we really don't know how many major growers use it on this site because they no what they're doing and never have to ask what to do about a MG soil problem

When I first starting growing some one told me to try MG that they used it for yrs...I tried his veggies and....NO GOOD....tasted awlfull....Your right.. it did taste just like MG..So I never did try it cuz his stuff tasted terriable...jmo on MG

I guess i was just of the old school thinkin that if everyone is telling you its ****, then it must be ****. Plus the fact that i had 3 very healthy plants on week one, sprouting and lookin good. Put them into MG soil when transplanted and one after another all but one transpired. always directly within a few days of a watering. I just put two and two together with signs and symptoms and summized that they all died from nute burnup, and since i added no nutes (The MG soil had them in it already) it must of been the soil.

MG soil may make a difference in some environemnts and some growers may do very well with it but there are also alot of other factors, i wont go into them but i will just say that MG soil is definately not for a newbie, you have to know what your doing to use that time release stuff.

fox farms seems to be the neighborhood favorite,,,,

My buddy knows a grower who got stuck with 6 pounds because mg ruined it. He said the exact same thing your saying.

this year our supper walley werld started carrying bat guano and worm caseings an not but a cpl of dollars more than the miraclegro expert crap. wow i did smell the chemicles in the dirt isle. i dont use mg i think one should feed the soil not pollute it with blue juice. and i`ll put my chicken **** grown tomatoes up against any mg toms taste test i`ll win. but when ya say things like you are what you eat well i didnt know chicken **** tasted sooo good:)

I've been using MG 20-20-20 fertilizer, and the plants that have survived look beautiful, should i stop using it?

Latest posts

Back