Bong smoke rougher than J! Why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
So I have been testing my home made bong and though it works really well, I find that my throat gets raw after using it. :huh:
I don't get this problem with a joint. Now why is this? I expected the smoke to be milder from the pipe, with no tar etc.
Comments please!

Try using warm water in it, it makes the hit way smoother. Folks use ice too, but warm water is better.

You taking in more smoke per hit?

Simple answer is... copper pipe = bad for you. Switch to none copper tube and see if that helps...

It might be what you are using as your bowl piece as houseoftreasure said, also it could be that you aren't using enough water.

Bong you take a great big rip. Joint you suck then inhale. Breaks it down to 2 parts.
Also what the previous 3 said.

i never use plastic for bongs...
i dont use my own home made bongs.
for the best hit i always just buy a nice piece
of glass.

Aha. Yes I am probably taking a much bigger hit. I did notice I got pretty high. And probably had a lot more in the bowl than I would have used to roll up.
Maybe I should get my big (1 metre tall) brass Saudi 'shisha' pipe out . . . Trouble is it takes about half an ounce to even get it started.

half an ounce? dude you can get a dope glass bong
for like 100 bones. a really dope one for 200.
and if you dont break it itll last a long long time.
Empty the water out after each hit. no matter what water pipe your smoking out of. water left in glass or plastic makes it taste worse after time.
so after your done your session, empty the water out.
When the bongs dirty, use alcohol and sea salt. 100% clean.

The man reason bongs are rougher than Js, is that because it cools the smoke significantly, you can take in a lot more smoke, while ultimately burns you more.

I have two tricks to dealing with this:
1. Use an ice bong. If you don't have an ice bong, but the ice in the water. THe ice cools the smoke way down so there is less burning.
2. Add a splash of listerine to the bong water. It makes the smoke taste better, and the hits much smoother.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back