Come on Monsanto - build us a ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one is pretty funny...

Issue:
If a producer adheres to all aspects of the NOP regulations, including never utilizing genetically modified seeds, but a certifying agent tests and detects the presence of genetically modified material in the crop, is that crop's status determined to be no longer certified organic?

Reply:
Organic certification is process based. That is, certifying agents attest to the ability of organic operations to follow a set of production standards and practices which meet the requirements of the Organic Foods Production Act of 1990 and the NOP regulations. The
NOP regulations prohibit the use of excluded methods (i.e., “GMOs”)in organic operations. If all aspects of the organic production or handling process were followed correctly, then the presence of a detectable residue from a genetically modified organism alone does not constitute a violation of this regulation. This policy was established at the promulgation of the NOP Regulation in the Preamble to the Final Rule (FR Vol. 65, No. 246, p. 80556), December 21,2000. The Preamble stated that: As long as an organic operation has not used excluded methods and takes reasonable steps to avoid contact with the products of excluded methods as detailed in their approved organic system plan, the unintentional presence of the products of excluded methods should not affect the status of the organic operation or its organic products.

So, your ORGANIC certified food can still have GMO in it and pass the certification as long as the "Certifying Agent" says your general operation is OK. LMAO Wonder how much that guy gets in bribes and payoffs. LMAO

It's NEVER what it seems. There's no such thing as Organic. LMAO

Aren't you all glad I joined this forum? LMAO

ya there has been alot of cross contamination between GMO and nonGMO farming from things as simple as ground water run off

"Stay at home. Never read. Live a lie. It's a better life than knowing the truth. LMAO"

What are you talking about? Are you saying we don't read? Hello?

LOL... no way sweetie. It was just a statement. Not directed at anyone. Kind of like... "Just Do It". LOL

The more I read on this, the bigger joke it becomes. Organic.... HA!

Tell me how it is a joke. I think taking three years to be certified organic is meaningful. Of course I know the folks that worked hard to get that certification on all of their fruit. If you know something i don't, tell me please. I have reading about this subject in one form or another since 1976. Talk to me.

My dad one year put pellets in the beef cattle's ears. It was hormones. he didn't do that again. That had to be in the 70's.. It is kinda my interest.

Even if they do produce some organic products, that does not make up for the damage they do to the earth and its inhabitants with others. That is like saying that since Hitler treated blond haired blue-eyed children very well, it didn't matter that he practiced genocide against Jewish people.....

Tell me how it is a joke. I think taking three years to be certified organic is meaningful.

It doesn't say that it takes 3 years to become certified. Read again. All it says is that the land can not have used certain products for the past 3 years. My farmer friend was certified in less than a month.

That is like saying that since Hitler treated blond haired blue-eyed children very well, it didn't matter that he practiced genocide against Jewish people.....

All depends on whether you are blonde and blue..... or Jewish. LOL

My Mom grew up under Mussolini and she loved it. She said it was the safest and cleanest country she has seen since. And, she has been all over the world a dozen times. Yet, my schooling always taught me that he was a bad guy.

Albeit, my schooling also showed Armstrong Custer as a hero. LMAO Probably not seen that way to an Indian.

It doesn't say that it takes 3 years to become certified. Read again. All it says is that the land can not have used certain products for the past 3 years. My farmer friend was certified in less than a month.

well your farmer friend was not in Washington cause it doesn't happen that way here in the apple state. If your friend was certified in less than a month then he had proof of no non organic things used on his land for the last three years. I know a lot of people with organic farms and what your suggesting just isn't what I have seen.

"Albeit, my schooling also showed Armstrong Custer as a hero. LMAO Probably not seen that way to an Indian"

george custer is in our family tree, we are not proud of that. Uncle george.

well your farmer friend was not in Washington cause it doesn't happen that way here in the apple state. If your friend was certified in less than a month then he had proof of no non organic things used on his land for the last three years. I know a lot of people with organic farms and what your suggesting just isn't what I have seen.

I'm not suggesting anything sweetie. Almost everything I posted in this thread is directly quoted or linked to the USDA web site for Organic Certification.

It is possible that each state has it's own regulations but, I don't think so. USDA usually controls all this kind of stuff.

I'm sorry if the truth makes everyone here so mad at me. Like I said, nothing in this thread is my opinion. I was just trying to show you that the stuff that you believe and the stuff you're all posting is not true.

Geeze, don't kill the messenger. LOL I wonder if people like that hated their teachers in grade school when they told then 2+2=4, not 5. LOL

Not all breeders use CS, Soma is just one.

Most of my vegetables and all of my mj is 100% organic,
I guarantee because I grow my own.:bong:

Not all breeders use CS, Soma is just one.

Most of my vegetables and all of my mj is 100% organic,
I guarantee because I grow my own.:bong:

I'm pretty much the same way. I grow some but where I live, it's impossible to grow a year's supply in the short growing season. And, some things just don't freeze well. Like iceberg lettuce. LMAO

Still, I try to stay informed and eat what I have knowledge about. I sure have learned one thing.... NEVER read the front of the package. It's all sales hype. Go right to the Ingredient list and start there. LOL

I am thinking about an organic grow. I'm not that far, now. I think I wasnt to try Hydro first. Never done that.

Here where I live you need proof that no non-organic substances were used for 3 years prior to being certified.So in reality the process started 3 years before getting certified. They just do not take the farmers word that he hasn't.

Hackerman, i believe the term is cognitive dissonance. Something you believe to be true for your whole life isn't. I still think that 90 % or more of my diet is not gmo'd. It takes a lot of sleuthing to find out how horrible that the fda is that they leave the new chemical uses up to the corporations to "test" and decide if they use it or not. I believe they said something like... see this is hard when i have to re research everything i type for accuracy, sure screws up the flow. ha http://www.livescience.com/38962-industrial-chemicals-in-food-not-safety-tested.html

Anyway, bottom lines is our food supply sucks and we all need to improve it.

Thank you for being more succinct than me Duck. That is what i was trying to say.

Hey Rose. I went here... http://agr.wa.gov/

and I didn't see anything special about Washington State requirements. Just about every state seems to certify according to the NOP (National Organic Program). And, that's it.

They have a link for info on Certification if you're really interested.

Same ingredients in all broccoli.
Need brix test.

Buy local ....farm markets are great. You can converse with the farmer.

Well gang, I would love to stay here and run with this thread a little longer but I have a gig tonight and I have to get showered and ready to go.

It's been fun. I learned a lot about Organic Certification looking all this stuff up.

And, the OP got his wish. LMAO

I really like it here. I hope I don't p too many people off too often playing with threads like this. LOL But, it's always such a learning experience for me being on the opposite side of EVERYONE else. LOL It forces me to read and learn new stuff. Pretty cool for me so, thanks. :)

Thanks Hackerman, yes the farmer i was talking about is listed there. That was fun to read the organics that are going on around here, I had not heard of a lot of the farms. I love the farmers market. I can't grow a garden anymore as we are in shade in the back and I don't want to dig up the front for one. Besides, the front has had pesticides, not the back. ha.

Latest posts

Back