KGBSkunky's terrible experiments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have been spin drying some early bud from both the GZ and the WW plants for eight days. I didn’t realize just how much big buds shrink but the interesting thing is they have, as individual buds hanging and spinning in a net basket, dried very evenly. None are dried to the point the sugar leaves are crumbly and the centers have a small amount of moisture. I can’t see how you can get any mold this way. I don’t think it’s possible.

Just an update

the shrinkage can be heartbreaking , sometimes 70-80% , a real buzz kill

It’s gonna be that much every time so I might as well get used to it. That said I had a tiny bud picked a week before these and let it dry out to the crumbles and it was really good

gotta love those early samples eh…..

it takes some getting used to for sure when one goes from this

IMG_2626.jpeg

to this

IMG_5079.jpeg

So I believe it’s nine days of spin drying the small buds, in the attached 2 foot drying tent, I picked an approximate two weeks early. Most trichomes were cloudy. It appears to be drying really well with none of the sugar leaves crumbling. On many of them there is enough stem sticking out of the bud to check if they are ready to jar and these still bend. When I actually harvest the plants I can leave the buds on a stem and it will be easier to check.

Looking amazing kgb! My last grow was white widow. Harvested at day 70 of flowering. Could easily go one more week.
Got my eyes on that gorilla zkittlez strain. Looking very strong and promising but a lot of reports of hermies because mother gorilla came out of a hermie . Im not sure yet. Lost all of my grow 2 grows ago cus of hermie so..
Understand I almost started over as I realized instead of two teaspoons I put two tablespoons of FoxFarm growth in that earthbox to condition the soil and that’s six gallons of water is in that soil so it was really hot. Stunted them all horribly. If I had not stunted these plants my harvest would be different. The Gorilla Zkittlez has roots that look like big knots it went through so much to live. I plan on washing off the roots and looking at them after harvest.

Understand I almost started over as I realized instead of two teaspoons I put two tablespoons of FoxFarm growth in that earthbox to condition the soil and that’s six gallons of water is in that soil so it was really hot. Stunted them all horribly. If I had not stunted these plants my harvest would be different. The Gorilla Zkittlez has roots that look like big knots it went through so much to live. I plan on washing off the roots and looking at them after harvest.
Thats my plan too bro. After finishing i want to check my root ball . Im on 10 litre pots with 6 weeks veg. I want to see if i can veg one more week on these pots or i must go for a bigger one

Ten days of spin drying. One of the reasons I pulled a small amount of early low buds was to check the quality after I dried it and to give my drying process a test drive. I was hoping the spinning process would eliminate was any grassy/hay smell. I have found in gardening that always means something is breaking down improperly or too quickly. I not only have zero hay smells the buds all smell fantastic. Really even dry

temp around 71
humidity between 55 and 65 percent

Last edited:
Noticed that while my 69 controller calculates VPD I can’t use it as a control. Turns out you need the 69 PRO for that so I am ordering one today and will put my standard controller on the drying tent so I can monitor and collect data during drying.

Amy farm is expanding!

Ten days of spin drying. One of the reasons I pulled a small amount of early low buds was to check the quality after I dried it and to give my drying process a test drive. I was hoping the spinning process would eliminate was any grassy/hay smell. I have found in gardening that always means something is breaking down improperly or too quickly. I not only have zero hay smells the buds all smell fantastic. Really even dry

temp around 71
humidity between 55 and 65 percent
Do you find that spin drying is better? I take it you have a spinner. I recently saw a video on one.

Do you find that spin drying is better? I take it you have a spinner. I recently saw a video on one.
I have a four tier 18 inch mesh with four levels. I have been drying some small buds for 11 days now and they still need a little more. The drying is super even and the smells are fantastic. If that isn’t the norm then it’s better.

To me it makes the hanging mesh a big fan as it wobbles in the tent. Mine has zippers on the side which I leave unzipped for airflow and it helps with the wobble.

I have a four tier 18 inch mesh with four levels. I have been drying some small buds for 11 days now and they still need a little more. The drying is super even and the smells are fantastic. If that isn’t the norm then it’s better.

To me it makes the hanging mesh a big fan as it wobbles in the tent. Mine has zippers on the side which I leave unzipped for airflow and it helps with the wobble.
So it’s a drying tent with a fan blowing on it to keep it spinning?

Checked the drying tent and the small amount of early bud I picked below the netting had a buds stem snap instead of bend. I put the buds in jars with a hygrometer in each jar. The humidity was 55 at that time.

This morning I checked and humidity was 62 and I am burping the jars for 30 minutes. First sharp smell is kinda like grass and I assume that’s the chlorophyll leaving the buds.

Very exciting to get a preview

1690030885377.jpeg

I do not know , not by humidity changes

now if there was some measurable weight loss , then I would say it is drying/curing

I do not know , not by humidity changes

now if there was some measurable weight loss , then I would say it is drying/curing
The samples are so small I doubt I could tell a huge difference. However thank you for the thought as I had not considered before and after curing weights. I can write that on a label

Thanks appreciate it

Latest posts

Back