Indoor Grow Play by Play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pussum

Reaction score
Well I looked over my other post and found it to be quite disorganized and messy so I would like to clean it up a bit and start fresh. I am hoping to make this a more of a Q and A thread as problems arise for me and hopefully as I ask questions and receive answers it will also help other people who are having problems but are either unsure of how to ask or afraid to ask .

I will post steps I have taken, concerns I have, and how things are progressing in as much detail as I can. This isn't really going to be a journal, but I will somewhat keep up to date with growth reports. It isn't worth it to make a journal for a single plant.

I will start from the beginning. I used the paper towel method* with a presoak of an hour in room temperature water to germinate my seeds. One sprouted out of 10. I chalk this up to the fact that the seeds were not the best quality and had been sitting out in the open for quite some time. Regardless, one did sprout so I say the method was successful and will prove to be even more successful down the road if I attempt another grow after this one plant, which at the moment is looking like a no, but you never know.

* For anyone who does not know what the paper towel method is, it consists of gathering a few sheets of paper towels (3-5 depending on thickness). Take those towels and get them wet. (Myself, I used Dasani bottled water at room temp.) Squeeze some of the excess water out of the towels so they are not dripping wet, but still nice and moist. Take the towels and fold them in half one way, and then in half the other way. Now the towels should look as though they are an open book. Place the seeds you wish to have germinated in the towel. Close the towel so the seeds are totally covered and place them on a plate. Take that plate and wrap it with plastic wrap so that there are no gaps where heat and air can escape. I also took a Tupperware bowl lid and covered the seeds before I wrapped them to add just a bit more insulation so moisture couldn’t escape. Take the wrapped plate and put it someplace where it is going to be steadily warmed. The back of a television or a computer monitor work well but the top of a cable box is perfect. My cable box is somewhat enclosed inside the television stand so the heat it puts out stays trapped and ensures that the seeds will stay at a certain temp so long as they are on the cable box. Heat and moisture are key for the seeds to germinate. The one seed I got to germinate sprouted a root almost two inches long in three days!*

Once set and ready to go I placed the plate on my cable box and let it sit for three days. I checked it once in the middle of the second day to ensure I didn't need to add any water. On the third day I checked again and removed the sprouted seed. I am sure, with time, the others would have sprouted, but I figured I might as well use one as a test run before I invest a bunch of time into multiple plants.

Regardless, I took my sprouted seed and placed it in a one gallon pot filled with the Miracle Grow that feeds plants for up to three months. I used a larger pot right off the bat because I didn’t want to shock the plant later down the road by having to transfer it to a bigger container. I pushed my finger into the middle of the dirt about knuckle deep, which ended up being about an inch and a half, and dropped in the seed. I dropped in the seed and brushed the dirt over it. I ran the cold tap for about a minute and filled up a container to water the plant. I watered it and stuck it in the chamber and turned on the light.

Here is where my first few concerns start popping up. First off I am wondering if an inch and a half was too deep to put in the seed. Will it be able to get the light and heat it needs to start the growth process that deep in the soil? The soil is not packed down; it is actually rather loose and airy. Secondly, my next concern is water. How much does a seed need? I don’t want to over water it, but I don’t want it starving for water either. Is there a set measurement I can use until the plant starts getting bigger and I can just water it until water seeps out of the bottom of the pot?

As of now I have the plant is sitting in the chamber under an 18/6* schedule. I picked up a timer so everything is automated now, except for watering. After one full light schedule I went and checked on the plant. I pulled it out and checked the soil, and it was still damp. I wasn’t sure if I should have left it alone or not so I added just a bit more and put it back in its home. When I check the plant again I will check the soil moisture. If it is still pretty damp I will skip watering them just to ensure it doesn’t get flooded.

*An 18/6 schedule is in regards to lighting and how long the plants sit under the light. A plant in the “vegg” cycle can sit under light for 24 straight hours 7 days a week. The “vegg” cycle is where the plant is doing what it does. It is building itself, growing, and using the energy from the light to fuel itself to get ready for the flowering stage. People have varying opinions on how long a plant should stay under the light, but the majority go either 24/0 (24 hours a day 7 days a week) or 18/6 (18 hours on and 6 hours off 7 days a week). Generally people use the 18/6 schedule if they want to try to keep their power bills down a bit. A few others experiment with the times slightly, but if you go to low with the amount of light the plant receives it will prematurely go into flower.*

Thus, this is where I stand, the middle of day two. I will keep this going throughout the grow so that questions and concerns can be addressed and maybe even spark a conversation or two along the way. As I do more things I will post what I do in detail and try to give a little background on what the procedure consists of for the people who have no clue what I am talking about.

If anyone sees anything that is wrong with the information I have presented let me know and I will correct it. If my facts are off let me know so that I am not misleading people and causing them to screw up. Your input is GREATLY appreciated in the matter.

Everything sounds great pussum. Your baby should have no problems coming out of the dirt. When ya water just make sure a few trickles drain out of the bottom of the pot. This way you know the roots are getting wet from top to bottom. ;) GREEN MOJO coming you way my friend.

GreenMojo.JPG

Hey Pussum. Congrads on the sprouts. The hardest part of this game is the waiting. They take a couple of days to pop out of the ground. You planted it just fine. As for water just keep the top soil moist. During the first week if you get a spray bottle and mist once or twice a day that is all the water she will need. Good luck on it buddy.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Everything sounds great pussum. Your baby should have no problems coming out of the dirt. When ya water just make sure a few trickles drain out of the bottom of the pot. This way you know the roots are getting wet from top to bottom. ;) GREEN MOJO coming you way my friend.

Yeah man GIMMIE THAT BUSHBABY MOJO! Woooooo00000! A crop is doomed to fail with the TBG mojo!

theyorker said:
Hey Pussum. Congrads on the sprouts. The hardest part of this game is the waiting. They take a couple of days to pop out of the ground. You planted it just fine. As for water just keep the top soil moist. During the first week if you get a spray bottle and mist once or twice a day that is all the water she will need. Good luck on it buddy.

Awsome, that is what I needed to know right there. I wasn't sure if I needed to water them until it flowed through the bottom right of the bat or just get it a little moist. I take it you have had good results with just getting the top moist?

pussum said:
Awsome, that is what I needed to know right there. I wasn't sure if I needed to water them until it flowed through the bottom right of the bat or just get it a little moist. I take it you have had good results with just getting the top moist?

They have been growing great. Check out my grow journal if you want, my plants are just over 7 weeks from germination and I just put them to flower 4 days ago.

I'm gonna give free advice (and we all know what that's worth). Be patient. During the first 10 days most of the growth is root growth. Give water to keep the soil and roots moist only. The plant isn't using much water at this point. Maybe around 10 days you will want to start watering more thoroughly and less frequently. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I hope your grow is successful my friend. :ccc:

theyorker said:
They have been growing great. Check out my grow journal if you want, my plants are just over 7 weeks from germination and I just put them to flower 4 days ago.

I'm gonna give free advice (and we all know what that's worth). Be patient. During the first 10 days most of the growth is root growth. Give water to keep the soil and roots moist only. The plant isn't using much water at this point. Maybe around 10 days you will want to start watering more thoroughly and less frequently. Sounds like you are off to a great start. I hope your grow is successful my friend. :ccc:

Cool, being patient isn't an issue. I plan on only checking it once a day to see if it is going to need water and just letting it do its thing. I don't want to much "human interference" screwing things up. I am just going to let nature take over and run things until I need to step in. I am just eager to see its little head pop out so I know I am on the right track.

My main concern, now that I have the water issue undercontrol, is if I am getting it enough light. I want to have an ample ammount. Right now I have 6 CFL 65k 1600 lumens bulbs in there which equals 9600 lumens in a space that is roughly five feet tall three feet wide and like four feet deep. The bulbs are about 8 inches away from the top of the flower pot. I made the box big because that is what resource I had avaliable to me at the time. I am not sure if that is enough lumens or not. I will be buying another six slot light bar and picking up 6 more 65k 1600 lumens* bulbs this weekend if need be. I thought I read somewhere around here a post somebody made of how many lumens it would take to grow compared to how big your grow chamber is, but I can't find it.

*For those who are confused on just what exactly I am talking about when I am talking about lumens and CFL's and such here is a great post from Cyberquest that should answer, or at least give you some useful information, for any questions you may have. Be warned, you may have to read through it a couple times before it all sinks in:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8581

Also, this is another good refrence by Mutt:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1972

So the end of day two has now come and day three has started. I went downstairs to check on things and yup sure enough as I expected the soil was still wet, so I skipped watering. I lowered the lights to an inch away from the top of the pots as well. While I was doing that something moving in the box caught my eye. A damn bug was flying around. A BUG! Now I don't know much about the soil you buy at the stores, but is it possible that this thing was already in the soil waiting for a little water so it could hatch?

Also how the hell can I prevent an infestation before it starts? The damn plant hasn't even broke the surface yet and already a bug. I know it had to have come in the soil because the chamber is all the way downstairs behind a locked door with a blanket over it and I haven't opened the door to the room or the chamber door at all today. I am hoping that some simple trick like maybe fly paper will do the trick or something like that.

Please, I don't want to fall on my face before I even get off the ground. I didn't get a good look at the culprit before I smashed him. It was like *Buzz* *I look over and think, "what the . . . OH SHI A BUG!" *SMASH!*. It could have been a fungus gnat I guess, but how long do those things take to gestate and fly from the soil? Also, where could the fungus come from as I have watered the plants all of two times?

Time for an update. Went down tonight when the lights clicked on and did my thing. I checked the soil and it was still damp. I must have watered it more than I thought. I still didn't see anything peek through the soil and I got a bit curious to see if I was wasting my time and electricity on a dead seed. So I ever so carefully dug out where I had planted the seed. To my immediate suprise I saw my little girl poking her head out. I stopped when I saw it as to not disrupt anything more than I needed to and just did a quick inspection for anymore flying insects in the grow chamber. I didn't find any so I happily closed the door and left everything alone. I haven't watered in two days, but the soil was moist enough that I think it will be alright for another day. I will go down tomorrow and mist a little bit with a spray bottle I picked up yesterday. I decided I would try to germinate a few more seeds to see if they will sprout a tap root. If they don't I will just focus on the one I have now and worry about getting better seeds later.

Very happy tonight as I was feeling just a big discouraged. The only thing is, after three days it is still a very frail looking sprout. Most likely because I put it so deep in the ground, but I think a healthy does of a full days light will help get it strong. If she gets strong enough I am going to throw a little fan I bought in there to help giver her some strength. There is a light breeze flowing through the chamber right now, but that is only for ventilation.

Checked today, I have very tiny little growth going on which pleases me because it is so much better than where I was yesterday! One step at a time.

hung the mylar for the room last night. I ran just a bit short and couldn't finish the roof, but I guess i could just substitute it with some tin foil or something. Everything is finished now, though I feel I may be up grading my ventilation system soon, due to the fact that it just isn't pushing out enough air yet.

Bought a second light to hang. I just finished wiring it up, it is like the first light bar I bought from Lowes. Real nice and easy to wire up to a plug. For anyone who has questions on how to wire to a grounded plug here is a thread I started when I bought my first light. Easy question with an easy answer, but if done incorrectly, could be detrimental to your safety. Safety is the name of the game first and foremost.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8988

Day after the new light installed and it is now around 80 degrees inside the box. I set the speed of the fan in the box to 2 as it was only one the 1 setting so hopefully when I check it today it will be a bit cooler in the box.

Some problems I am noticing is it is now day 8 and the plants, I say plants because I got a second one to sprout, are only about an inch tall and not very bushy at all. I have the lights maybe about an inch away from the tops and water them only when the soil is dry, but I can't seem to get them to grow.

When the camera charges I will post some pictures to show what I am talking about.

Well I just checked everything and looked at the thermostat and holy cow. The temp in the box was pushing almost 80 something degrees and the humidity was DRY DRY DRY. I had to leave, so I cracked the door open a bit and put a container of water in the room. I am hoping that might take the edge off, but does anyone know of some simple ways to take care of these problems short of buying a humidifier and an air conditioner? Everything is located in the basement so I don't know why it is so hot. The furnace is set on 65. Could that plus the heat of the lights be a factor or when I sealed it maybe I did it just a little to well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

pussum said:
Well I just checked everything and looked at the thermostat and holy cow. The temp in the box was pushing almost 80 something degrees and the humidity was DRY DRY DRY. I had to leave, so I cracked the door open a bit and put a container of water in the room. I am hoping that might take the edge off, but does anyone know of some simple ways to take care of these problems short of buying a humidifier and an air conditioner? Everything is located in the basement so I don't know why it is so hot. The furnace is set on 65. Could that plus the heat of the lights be a factor or when I sealed it maybe I did it just a little to well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Well ya might wanna toss in another fan sucking the hot air out or get a stronger one. That's the only thing i can think of right off hand. ;)

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
Well ya might wanna toss in another fan sucking the hot air out or get a stronger one. That's the only thing i can think of right off hand. ;)

I am thinking of how I could set that up because I am just a bit pressed for space right now. I think I might be able to rig up a small office desktop fan and secure that to the duct vent I have at the top of the box and have it s-uck the hot air out, but I am not sure if that would be powerful enough. I guess it is worth a shot.

So I checked the temp and humidity when the lights kicked on. Temp is still a bit of an issue. It is around 80 now, but humidity was fine. I mounted a fan in the exhaust vent at the top of my box and now have a steady air flow so I think all is good come tomorrow.

I gave all the girls a nice drink of water because they were dry as can be. The two larger plants I started are at the start of 9 days, but they were robbed about three or four days because I had them so deep in the soil they weren't growing. The other ones are at about three days now, they haven't peeked out, but I think it is because the light bar was way to close and they were getting dried out way to quickly. I raised the ligth bar and made sure they were nice and wet.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Sup pussum. The babies are looking great. I don't think 80% is that bad for your high temp. I wouldn't let it get any higher though. ;)

So I checked things before the light clicked off. On the larger two, I really don't know how to explain it, but there are these strange marks on them. It looks like, for lack of a better description, someone shot a few strands of white silly string on them except they are part of the plant where it has discolored and turned white. Kind of looks like the leafs have a few white veins on them or something.

I don't know whats up, but I have been using tap water, could that be it? I let the tap run for a minute or so and then I let it sit out overnight before I water the plants with it.

I don't know, maybe I should change to filtered water or something?

Checked on them last night and found the white lines are starting to go away. It is getting close to the time for me to weed out the weakly germinated seeds from the bunch I planted. Some have sprouted and some haven't gotten past laying in the dirt with their taproot out. Heat and low humidity have brought a few of the little ones to their knees so I have started leaving the door to the chamber open about two inches and throwing a gallon ice cream jug full of ice inside. It has helped to raise the humidity and as far as I can tell, keep the heat down, but we will see.

I am very pleased with my first two plants. Everyday I see more and more growth from these two little girls. Lots of new leaves sprouting and their stalks are getting so thick. It is kind of a shame they will be getting cut down when I am done.

I'm def. using that CFL set up next time, right now I have them hanging by extension cords on adapters. LOL

Latest posts

Back