Trying to dig up the past for a new future.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyCat

That Happy Cat
Reaction score
I'm on a mission at the moment to attempt the resurection of good genetics.

I acquired some seeds from a(a long time ago) once prolific guerilla grower in the North East US. The seeds were from his personal multi-decade bred cultivars, making them somewhat unique. I long ago saw some of them growing and some of the finshed product, it was top quality, resinous, and something that would be be great in a number of applications including in one hitter.

It was described by him as his 'blue' type. I'm fairly certain from what I remember that it had long been a true breeding strain, though it was developed from indica/sativa hybrids origionally. I have a number of these seeds.

I have a greater number of seeds which are F1 hybirds between the 'blue' and I believe an unknown(but potent) sativa.

He has long since retired(when I got the seeds he was mostly retired), I still have the old seeds, likely the last of thier kind in existence. I'm unsure if they are still viable, its been a couple of years, but the were well wrapped in a cool dark place so I'm hoping I can get a few good ones.

I started to germ 10 of the 'blue' seeds at 3:00pm May 27, 2007, using the damp paper towel + zip-lock bag method.

I'm also going to start some of the 'blue-hybrid' seeds, in a little bit.
Update:
I started to germ 28 of the 'blue-hybird' seeds at 12:45am May 28, 2007, also using the damp paper towel + zip-lock bag method.

If all goes well I may be able to save this strain and its genetics from extiniction, and get a unique little thing in the process, I just hope that I can get some of these seeds to germ.

Good luck Happycat.Welcome also :bongin:

Minor Update: May 28, 2007; 4:45pm

Checked both groups of seeds, but alas no action from ethier group yet.

"Its one o'clock and time for lunch, bum de dum de dum, as the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk..."

Update: May 29, 2007; 1:00pm (Day 3)

Checked both groups of seeds, no action yet from the 'blues'.

But to my delight, on close inspection, one of the 'blue-hybrids' was just peaking through the little crack at the edge of the seed, I left it there with the others waiting until the root grows just a bit, since it hasn't yet reached the outside of the shell.

HappyCat

Update: May 29, 2007; 6:00pm (Day 3, continued)

Checked on the 'Blues'
on close inspection one of the seeds looks as if it is just bearly starting to crack open to reveal itself, though it has opened less than the first seed to start so far(the one in the 'blue-hybrids').

Peaked in on the 'Blue-hybrids': No new seeds cracked yet. The first cracked seed has opened its shell a slight bit more, but it still hasn't enough outside the shell for me to want to plant(it is less than 1mm outside as of yet, it is just breaching the edge)

I added a few drops of water to each ziplock bag to adjust for some of the water that has been lost. They are both decently damp, not wet or soaked though.

If beans are being a little tough cracking their shells, you may want to drop them in a glass of water. As soon as you see them crack you can either plant them or paper towel them... Just another option... :smoke1:

Update: May 31, 2007; 12:15am (Day 5)

Checked both groups of seeds again.

'Blue-hybrids':
In total so far three of the 'blue-hybrids' have sprouted a root, And one othe seed looks as if it will be following within then next day. Two seeds are clearly no good so they have been discarded leaving 26(3 sprouted, one potential sprout, and 22 other damp seeds). The three spouted seeds achieved roots of apx. 3-6mm and have been planted in potting soil, in their temporary homes which made out of plastic party cups(with holes drilled in the bottom)..

'Blues':
Ther has been very little noticeable change. One seed was clearly bad and was dicarded leaving 9 seeds. The one seed I thought was sprouting hasn't changed much, and I'm starting to think that it hadn't actually been sprouting, and instead cracked slighty open due to water expansion on the inside of the seed. Though I'm still hopefull that I might get some of the 'blues' to spout. If none come within the next few days I may have to attempt to start a few more of the 'blue' seeds I kept in reserve, in addition to the ones now.

Concerning both groups:
I put each group of uncracked seeds into glasses of water to soak overnight(as suggested by DLtoker), to see if I can get a few more to crack.

(Note: I did not put the single already potentially spruoting seed(the same 'blue-hybrid' mentioned earlier) in that groups glass, instead I left it with the papaer towel and added enough water to adjust for water loss.)

HappyCat

Sunday June 3rd, 2007;8:45pm (Day 8)

The 'blues' have turned up to be a washout, none germinating.

I now have two little seedlings from the blue hybrids that are looking good with possibly a third that will do well. One other bean seems to have stalled and I think now died once in a bit of soil, maybe some of these beens just didn't have enough in them even once they are sprouted, after so long in storage.

I'll be content if I can get 3, but happier if I can get 4 or 5; as unlike many my goal IS to get seeds in the end. So any males are going to be lucky this time around.

Hopefully next time around I''l be able to start with the new fresher beans and then start breeding for the desireable traits locked up inside of them.

Friday, June 8, 7:00pm (Day 13)

Final number seems to be three of the hybirds, and zero pures.
I decided not to try to germinate any more blues at the moment, and have decided that iff I do it can't be for at least a few more months.

I moved the nicest of the three outside in its container. I'm worried about the weather tonight though I wasn't able to retrieve it from it's semi-secluded spot. I was able to move it before hand (yesterday) to a slightly more protected area, but I wasn't expexting the weather to get as bad as it is today.

The two other seedlings are inside, they look ok but thats all. They don't seem to be doing as well as the other one. They both had some trouble with a membrane from the inside of the seed coat stopping the seed leaves from opening right away, one of them managd to break through it the other I had to help out by very carefully removing the membrane.

I'm thinking of adding a little extra light to help them out.

Latest posts

Back