400w hps or 2ft 4 bulb T5 Fluorescent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got a 2' wide X 1' 4" deep x 3' high grow space and i have a 400 watt hps but i am thinking it is to much for that little space so any suggestions would be helpful. I was thinking either a 250 hps or a dual cooltube 150 hps so the plants can grow closer giving me the most space i can use possible.

I just asked that same question about 3 weeks ago and was heavily suggested to have at least 5' in height and the more I'm setting up, I can see why. The pots decrease your height and the hang of the lamp does also, so you can save some time by putting your plants straight into the oven.:D

I've been thinking about this and I think you would have to pretty much accept that only a low height strain, specifically an auto, would do. And I think HID is too problematic. I would go for the lowest possible profile of T5. And I would want to have an experimental section for testing ideas, like, horizontal root and stem training, and so on.

Well i was thinking of doing 2 plants in dwc veg them just long enuf to beable to top each one that way i get 4 colas and then switch right to 12/12 as soon as possible to keep them short enuf to fit. i figure once i get the light and dwc in the cab it will be about 2.5ft - 3ft of room to grow. any sugestions on strains would be helpful also. Or maybe something along the lines of THG's scrog grow with the dual 150 watt cooltube.
Thanks for the help so far.

250w MH might be best, it's cooler than 250w HPS since it has about about 30% or so fewer lumens.

ive got a bud who made a home made cooltube
but he is having heat problems in the middle of winter

Todway said:
250w MH might be best, it's cooler than 250w HPS since it has about about 30% or so fewer lumens.

actually the 250wMH would be hotter with less lumens.. if you can do the 400w do er.. theres gonna be ir heat as well.. but if you cant go with the 250w hps... more lumens then the MH and cooler..
LH

LEFTHAND said:
actually the 250wMH would be hotter with less lumens.. if you can do the 400w do er.. theres gonna be ir heat as well.. but if you cant go with the 250w hps... more lumens then the MH and cooler..
LH

:yeahthat: The energy used is put out as either light or heat. If you have less lumens, you have more heat (given the same wattage).

ShecallshimThor said:
ive got a bud who made a home made cooltube
but he is having heat problems in the middle of winter

I can cool my dual 150W in a homemade cooltube with a computer fan....how does your buddy have his ventilation set up?

The Hemp Goddess said:
I can cool my dual 150W in a homemade cooltube with a computer fan....how does your buddy have his ventilation set up?

good to know lol....thats having the cooltube vented seprate right?? and having seprate venting for the box.. as your suppose to?? but for a stealth grow or mini grow that would be mint...MUAH... lol
thanx for the info..HG..
LH

I already have the 400w hps but i am worried about the heat issue. my grow space will only have 3ft hx 1.5ft dx 2ft w "GROW" area so i was just wondering if i should use the hps or invest in a 2ft 4 bulb T5 Fluorescent setup instead. I could also invest in a cooltube for the hps but then i would have to get an extra fan for cooling of the hps versus no cooling for the T5 seems it wouldn't be near as hot. Any thoughts on this subject would help. Thanx

If that is a question it will be threw the whole grow i am thinkin of scrogin 2 plants out of a 10 gal rubbermaid DWC to keep them short. As i said after i get my res in there i will have 3ft high of grow space and thats another thing with using the T5 is i can use the whole 3ft practically, versus only about 2 1/2ft with the hps, if not less.

rom what i have learned here no wat t5 will work u want lummens deal with the heat...someone smrter than me will tell ya but hps all the way

Todway said:
Not true... mh consistantly run hotter than hps.. lumens have absolutely nothing to do with the heat generated, other than the fewer lumens being produced by the same wattage being 'consumed', means 'more' energy being used to produce heat.

141820 said:
I already have the 400w hps but i am worried about the heat issue. my grow space will only have 3ft hx 1.5ft dx 2ft w "GROW" area so i was just wondering if i should use the hps or invest in a 2ft 4 bulb T5 Fluorescent setup instead. I could also invest in a cooltube for the hps but then i would have to get an extra fan for cooling of the hps versus no cooling for the T5 seems it wouldn't be near as hot. Any thoughts on this subject would help. Thanx

What is the lumen output of the T5s?

For that space, I, personally, would use a 150W or a 250W in a bake-around cooltube.

The Hemp Goddess said:
What is the lumen output of the T5s?

For that space, I, personally, would use a 150W or a 250W in a bake-around cooltube.

4ft 24 watt bulbs are 2,000 lumens and 54 watt bulbs are 5,000 lumens,

Jericho said:
4ft 24 watt bulbs are 2,000 lumens and 54 watt bulbs are 5,000 lumens,

LOL--I know the lumens on the different wattage bulbs. The poster is using 2' tubes and I was asking what he was planning on using. T5s can vary in lumens quite a bit.

Latest posts

Back