72 hour dark IN TESTING!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th3dud3

Reaction score
alright, so my plants where looking good and ready to harvest so yesterday i make the decision that its time to harvest. it had been about 2 days since its previous watering and I gave it about 1/3 their normal watering. after 24 hours of dark i need to know what going on in there. So i go into the dark room with my sony camcorder...i love night vision. It looks like the buds have significantly plumped since ive last looked at them. There may just be something to this technique after all. This is some good bud too, i had to pluck a herm a couple weeks ago and it was very potent at that point....I cant wait untill these guys are ready.:D

budy.jpg

hey i will also be doing the 72 hrs of darkness. around the 22nd of next month.so let me ask u something, when u do the 72hr dark thing, can u turn the lights on to see how the looking, or will that mess the process up???

i cant say for sure if it will have an effect or nething, i checked on it with the closet light on for about 15 seconds. I figure this very dim light in a short burst wouldn't have a very big effect. I guess ill find out tomorow when I check on them again. At this point ill harvest on Sunday....Its gonna be a good summer :)

oltomnoddy said:
I'll be doing the same in 6 weeks.

BTW, nice avatar BFOK!:clap:

thanx i jus dont drink much.
dude, how many plants do you have going, and what strain is it and what kinda lights u used?? she shole looks nice. i cant wait till i have the space for a nice size grow. i wanna keep a monster mother plant in veg for a year useing lst. thatll be fun

another person seems like the 72hrs of darkness is a fad now ill b tryin it out in about a month i have YET to come across some 1 who has bad reviews on it

I now have 4 left to harvest, it started at 6, 1 turned herm the other turned ripe about a week in a half ago so its being dried. Im told it is Blue Moonshine that a White Widow herm snuck into the room and reaked some havac. i got a deal, some amazing dank, about 100 seeds thats a bluemoonshine x white widow :) My room absolutely is drowning in the smell from these babies. muahaha!

I had three 2 footers above 2 below and another 2 1650 lumine compact flourescent on either side. A total of about 100 watts, no change in the electric bill. Its a big closet with plenty of room.

These are a few pictures from a couple weeks ago. The buds look much heavier now with even more trichs.

bud1.jpg

bud2.jpg

pretty.jpg

you might have something there dude with that lil cross. jus hope that the seeds dont produce hermi's on you, cause i herd they make alto of those .

try using a green light when you want to check on your garden because plants can't see green light... so it wont effect it at all

the babies are shiny with new resin. This 72 hour dark period seems to be showing some real results. Right now my camera is charging, ill post some new pictures in a couple hours. Harvesting tomorow :)

they look good man congrats!!!!! yup ill be doin the samething ina few weeks cant wait till i see how well it works for me

What's the idea behind 72 hours of darkness when harvesting? Got any links? You don't cut it at all, only stop watering and turn off the light? :D

I cant remember where i read it, but one explanation had something to do with tricking the plant into thinking that there wont be anymore light or water coming so i guess it triggers it to produce as much as it can before it dies.

...or something like that. But it definatly doesnt appear to be hurting them and unless I imagined it, I noticed a very significant increase in resin production and bud size after the first 24 hours of dark. I even noticed a couple new leaves popping out of the top of one of the plants top bud...take it as you will.

I gave'em 1/3 their normal amount of water once it was almost dry.

Do you think hanging them upside down would help, assuming you kept roots and all intact?
Possible noob questions:
Do plants have to 'work' (spend energy) to move fluids around to different parts of the plant?
Can it use stored up energy to grow, without sunlight?

Fascinating.. I think I'm going to go brush up on my biology :p

it makes the plant produce more resin in a last effot to get pollenated be4 it dies, the buds swell up as it use the rest of the water up. ive also read that u should let them stay in darkness till they start to droop down from lack of warter. but i dont know that all ive read on it and it seems like u get good results from it, so ima end up trying in about 3 ta 4 weeks or so.

Bubby said:
Do you think hanging them upside down would help, assuming you kept roots and all intact?
Possible noob questions:
Do plants have to 'work' (spend energy) to move fluids around to different parts of the plant?

i doubt that will work hanging them upside down, they still need to be in there pots so the roots drink the remainder of the water. i would think they do have some kind of stored energy sence it jus dont die off in 24hrs of dark.

Bubby said:
Possible noob questions:

Plants dont spend energy to move fluids, they use a system based on pressure difference. If the roots have more pressure than leaves (meaning it is wet) the water with minerals and nutrients will flow upwards through the very core of the stem, and if the leaves have more pressure than roots (meaning roots are dry and leaves are full of glucose produced during photosintesys) the water with glucose will flow downwads through the outer part of the stem, going to the rest of the plant and also to the roots be stored. (yes, roots store energy).

I think we growers should study more this kind of stuff, its very usefull and SO interesting stuff to know...biology rocks!

PuffTheMagicDragon said:
another person seems like the 72hrs of darkness is a fad now ill b tryin it out in about a month i have YET to come across some 1 who has bad reviews on it

A bad review of what? No proper testing has been done. It's all about someone doing it one way with no other method to test against.

I'm one person who thinks it's a myth.

To really tell if it helps, one would need another grow room with exactly the same treatment of the plant with the exception of the light of course.

If only one method is used, what in the world could you compare it too? The last crop? That doesn't mean anything.

There is a term called "Scientific Method". It's how things are tested to verify if something works.

There is simply no way to do this test with only one crop at a time. It's just not a real test. "It seems" "It looks like" "I think" are not testing methods.

In my opinion, light deprivation will not help a MJ plant. It will make it do less, not more.

If someone does a real test with two identical grow rooms and exactly the same strain of clones from the same host plant in the same cutting with the same nutrients, growing method and testing methods of the thc, then and only then will the test be anything that can be said to be accurate.

This one at a time, "I think it looks bigger" stuff isn't testing, it's wishful thinking.

Of course, if it makes you feel better to do it, then do it to all of your plants. What the heck. It's your weed.

However, you'll have to go a whole lot further to actually prove anything with the method than growing using only one method at a time.

i would love to do a double blind study to figure out whats going on...but unfortunatly i dont have the time, money, or space to do this so im just going to stick with it because at this point i have nothing to lose (im harvesting in less than a day), and I know my plants are potent as is. so, why not?

Latest posts

Back