750 lumens, times13

• Thread starter PeaceLove&FreeBudz
  • Start date
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PeaceLove&FreeBudz

ok so i want to run about 13 lights that produce 750 lumens each, but produce about 17 watts of energy, i have this set up in my mind on how i want to run it but i want to make sure 10,000 lumens of cfl will be good for 4 plants, clones, indica. to be exact.
but im want to run 4 to 4 durren seedling stage and early veg stage then i wanna start turnen the rest on duren the later veg to flowering stages.

I just wantto keep electricity cost but i wantto keep complete control over the light.

tell me what you think.
I also dont want to spend alot on a set up for lights, such as MH MV or sodium. CFL is easy and simple, so thats all im aiming for.

plus its 17 watts per unit so its even super super cheap

i would bump up your cfl's to the 23-27 watt. They're still cheap and will double your lumen.
If you want 4 plants you will definately need to train them to grow shorter, SCROG or SOG.
For what you have it dont sound like enough.
Im no pro but im running 16 cfl, 23 and 27 watt for combined 30000 lumen. I also grow indica :aok:
good luck

lets look at the math...
a 150 watt hps puts out "about" 15,000 lumens
your "221 watts" of cfl's are putting out "about" 10,000...
I fail to see the "savings" on electricity..:confused2: You are useing more watts, but getting less lumens
220 watts/10,000L.= 45.45 L. p/watt energy used
150 watts/15,000L= 100 L.. p/watt energy used
"TWICE" the efficiency of cfl's..and at HALF of the cost

there's a thread around here somewhere, that directs you to a 150 hps for $20
those 14 watt cfls are $4.95 at home depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...om2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D27X-_-100527325)... X 13 = $65 plus tax...
I don't see a savings there either...:confused:

Thanks, Hick. People have a lot of misconceptions about CFLs. Besides being less efficient, when you get bunches of them together, they produce more heat than a HPS. And watt per watt, a HPS will far outyield CFLs.

In addition, 10000 lumens is only good for about 2 sq ft. To fit 4 plants into this space, they would have to be pretty small.

thats right...i did a math on cfl verses HD...and to get the lumes from cfl that you get with HD..you will spend more in electric to get same ...plus the space you need for all those cfls...I do have both but I only use cfl in "Male chamber" and should have gone with 175watt HPS but it was fun building it..and not used much yet..if you are in the planning stages still..may i sugest you reasearch on lights a bit more..Hope this helps and good luck..

edit: Lowes here in the states has 175 HD $90 American money..also a 70 watt hps $70...I suppose you need to ask yourself..what kind of yield do i want..personaly..if you are growing in anything bigger then 2x2..i would not go cfl..JMO

i started out with all cfls and thought i was doin good, untill i bought 2 of the 20$ 150 watt hps.. best investment i've made.. less heat, less power bein used, more total lumens. trust me invest in the cheap hps you'll be glad you did..

i had 17 42 watt cfls in 4 sq ft, those were 9 dollars each.. thats how many cfls it took to get decent buds imo. thats almost 150$ worth of lights. then i spent 53$ or 2 hps. should have do that to start with..

and like THG said 4 plants in 2 sq ft would be tuff unless they're single cola plants. jmo good luck

thanks slowmo..i was hopeing a cfl grower would pop in..Have a great Saturday my friend

PeaceLove&FreeBudz said:
I also dont want to spend alot on a set up for lights, such as MH MV or sodium.

They ARE better, but....
if you decide on cfl you really should up the wattage.
Heat is an issue no matter what light setup so be prepared.

canibanol cannonball said:
They ARE better, but....
if you decide on cfl you really should up the wattage.
Heat is an issue no matter what light setup so be prepared.

what about air cooled lights?:)

Everyone wonts to say that cfl is not good. But it is good when you don't have cc to order off line and hps & mh cost a lot when you are on a budget. the hps and mh are alot looking at $350 or better. but cfl only bout $40 so let me know what would you do when the maryjane is your meds and you have to grow yourself. Some grow and sale. But me grow and med myself. So what is the best way to go when you don't have money like everyone else does:confused:

hey Mary...i am in no way saying cfl are bad..Im sayn in the long run if you realy do the math..they are more cost to use..and why do you need a cc..look in local papper under grow lights..meet the person in Mall parking lot and pay cash...or go to hardware store and buy sucurity lights (HPS) everyones on a budget my friend..just need to save for it i suppose...But i understand also that people onece set up its hard to change after puttting in all that money..Just my thaughts

MARY-JANE said:
Everyone wonts to say that cfl is not good. But it is good when you don't have cc to order off line and hps & mh cost a lot when you are on a budget. the hps and mh are alot looking at $350 or better. but cfl only bout $40 so let me know what would you do when the maryjane is your meds and you have to grow yourself. Some grow and sale. But me grow and med myself. So what is the best way to go when you don't have money like everyone else does:confused:

You are doing yourself a disservice by not investing in HPS. Anyone can get a prepaid cc to order online. A 150W HPS can be purchased for $20 or 2 for $40. Using a HPS is even more important if you are growing your own meds.

The bottom line is that CFLs are less efficient, cost more to run (lumen per lumen), produce more heat, and yield less (watt per watt). When you invest in CFLs instead of lower wattage HPS, you are paying more to get less. There is simply no disputing this.

"What is the best way to go..?" Spend that $40 on 2 150W HPS instead of CFLs. Use those CFLs in your household lights and you will cut your lighting costs.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You are doing yourself a disservice by not investing in HPS. Anyone can get a prepaid cc to order online. A 150W HPS can be purchased for $20 or 2 for $40. Using a HPS is even more important if you are growing your own meds.

The bottom line is that CFLs are less efficient, cost more to run (lumen per lumen), produce more heat, and yield less (watt per watt). When you invest in CFLs instead of lower wattage HPS, you are paying more to get less. There is simply no disputing this.

"What is the best way to go..?" Spend that $40 on 2 150W HPS instead of CFLs. Use those CFLs in your household lights and you will cut your lighting costs.

Well you say its that easy. Well do you think you can donate to me some hps or mh.

Latest posts

Back