Add More CO2 & Watch Your Ladies Thrive (inexpensive)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. GreenBrain

Legal Grower
Reaction score
I know that there are probably a lot of posts about this on MP, but I think I have given a fairly comprehensive background on why this is good. Therefore I believe it's worth re-posting, especially for new growers

Enjoy,

Another great way to maximize your yield is to increase the amount of C02 in your growing environment. You probably already know that plants need it for photosynthesis, but you may not know that all plants today are really under productive compared to their ancestors. When vegetation was first starting to grow on the earth, the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere was exponentially higher than it is today. The good news is, most plants (especially cannabis) have not lost their ability to process massive amounts of C02, and when introduced to the growing environment, they can grow much faster, denser, and produce a much larger yield.

How to Introduce CO2 to Your Growing environment:

As you can imagine, you can spend a crap load of money and get really sophisticated equipment that will work wonders. However, as with many things in the marijuana growing community, there are ways to do it inexpensively.
hXXp://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=AACIGS061"]
(if you are interested in the "Highly sophisticated" version click here)

If cash is something you can't spend, but you have just a little time and about $2, You can make a basic CO2 generator (aka fermenter) that works great for small to medium size grow spaces.

Materials Needed:
Empty Milk Jug or a somewhat large vessel with a lid.
Water
Sugar
Yeast
Safety pin or something you can poke holes with.

Method:
Fill the milk jug 1/2 - 3/4 full of water, and add 1-3 cups of sugar. Let the water stand until it is room temperature (or just use luke warm water). This is important because yeast is a living organism, and if you put it in water that is too cold or hot, you will shock it and kill most, if not all, of it. Add about 2-3 tablespoons of yeast (or if you have packets, use the entire thing). Place the lid on top and use a safety pin or something to poke a 1-3 small holes through the lid. Place the jug in your grow room in the exact opposite position of your vent fan (if you have one). For example, if your vent is in the upper left-hand corner in the back of your grow area, place the jug in the bottom right-hand corner in the front. If your grow area is larger, place multiple fermenters around your grow space.

What to expect:
Within an hour of adding your yeast, you should see it start to activate. A foam will start to develop on the top and grow larger. Some yeast strains are much more aggressive than others, and it's very possible that it will "boil over" or ooze out of the top. If it does, clean up the mess and remember to add less yeast next time. After a week or so, the yeast should start to calm down and the foam will decrease in size. After three weeks, most of the yeast will be sediment at the bottom of the fermenter. This yeast is NOT dead, and it can be recharged. You want to recharge the dormant yeast because it is no longer producing C02. To do so you can either give the jug a shake to give a it a quick recharge, or you can add more sugar to make the effect last longer.

Why This Works:

The yeast consumes the sugar and expels (craps out) alcohol and CO2. This is the exact same process used to make the alcohol that people drink, although CO2 is usually seen as a byproduct. In this application however, the alcohol is the byproduct. By placing the fermenters in the opposite location of your vent fan, you are allowing the CO2 to be spread more evenly over your entire grow space.

If you are unfamiliar with the basics of photosynthesis, basically, the plant takes CO2, water, and sunlight and converts it into glucose and oxygen (here oxygen is a byproduct of photosynthesis).

Here is the formula:

Six molecules of water + Six molecules of Carbon Dioxide + the introduction of Sunlight (or grow light) = 1 molecule of Sugar and six molecules of oxygen.

6H2O + 6CO2 ----------> C6H12O6+ 6O2

The plant needs sugar (know as glucose) to grow or do anything, so the more glucose it makes, the faster and bigger it will grow (think of a kid who only drinks soda and eats McDonald's).

You want to use the lid with the holes in it because it will become slightly pressurized and therefore, will slowly release the Co2 and cause it to spray out and upwards. This is opposed to not using a lid and having the CO2 slowly ooze out of the top and immediately fall to the floor of your grow area.

Alternatively, if you are into brewing your own beer/wine at home, you can run a blow off tube from your fermenters into your grow space.

Quantities of yeast, sugar, & water aren't really important because the yeast will go dormant once all of the sugar has been consumed. So, don't get too wrapped up in the "right amount" of stuff to use.

Anyway, if you think this is helpful, let's make it stick!

Im a big wine and whiskey maker. This will provide some co2 but I would say not enough to help. Bakers yeast will do 5% alcohol at the best. mine sure wont run active long on just sugar. A high quality distyillers yeast will do at best 18%. My good yeast is very active for three days and then is done.You also need to charge the starter yeast and add a half a tomato for plain sugar.

dude, your opening up a big can of worms with this post.... I argued vehemently on here on the merits of CO2 usage mostly with ppl who know more than i do. I used your described co2 setup on my first indoor grow, with great results and therefor thought co2 was awesome. But I have done every grow since then minus the messy space consuming still and had even better results. This leads me to believe that the effects of the co2 my first grow were nominal, and the plants would have done just as well without it....But if your hardheaded like me, just do a control grow to test your theories as I had to.

Friend-of-a-friend said:
dude, your opening up a big can of worms with this post.... I argued vehemently on here on the merits of CO2 usage mostly with ppl who know more than i do. I used your described co2 setup on my first indoor grow, with great results and therefor thought co2 was awesome. But I have done every grow since then minus the messy space consuming still and had even better results. This leads me to believe that the effects of the co2 my first grow were nominal, and the plants would have done just as well without it....But if your hardheaded like me, just do a control grow to test your theories as I had to.

I couldn't agree more. The minute amount of co2 produced with such a setup, combined with venting(as is required without sufficient co2 tanks, meters, and controls) temperatures, ect., doubtfully benefit the plants enough to tell a difference.
I too am one that had the idea, that 'some additional co2" has to be better than none at all.
But just as you, found that sufficient and proper ventilation and fresh air circulation produced 'better' plants than my jerry rigged co2 generator.

I posted on another thread about CO2 the exact amount your reaction would produce, and trust me, it wasn't worth it

thread fail,

this is not the way to supplement co2 if you want any viable results. Correct Co2 injection requires the vent fan extraction must stop. Therefore the light must be air cooled from outside the grow room and vented out as well. If not maintaining a near 1500 ppm then your supplement is not doing much.

I will say that with co2, most other variables need to be kinda perfect. If your temps are too low, Co2 is pointless. If transpiration increases, you will be tending your plants alot more often, which isnt a bad thing sometimes. Plants consume nutrients at an accelerated rate when co2 is abundant, they take up more space and grow taller. A better usage of your lights footprint can yield similar results.

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
Oh no, not again.

Unsubscribe.

Hahah! I was thinking the same thing and I have only read the site for a few months.

Wow, I'm so sorry everyone for posting what I thought would be helpful. Hopefully someday I'll be able to join your elite (or should I say elitist) ranks. Thanks for your ongoing support, you really make a guy feel welcome.

you prob dont feel welcomed, but take constructive criticism when you can, it helps, trust me.

This has been a very hotly debated topic around here. In the short time I have been here I have learned that this is a very hot button topic.

Herm said:
This has been a very hotly debated topic around here. In the short time I have been here I have learned that this is a very hot button topic.

If that's the case then I think I should put in my two cents. I disagree with the claims to the effect that this method is ineffective. Here is why, if even a little CO2 is introduced into the environment, it will be beneficial to your plants. You could be right, there may not be any noticeable change in mass, but it's still more glucose than the plant had before. At the very least, the plant will be better able to fend off disease and recover from stress because of the extra energy it is producing.

you will notice that when posting info, people will not usually be receptive unless its tried and true, at least thats what ive seen.

if people wanna know a cheap way to grow, i say throw some bagseed in your yard and hope it all works out, otherwise, find out what equipage you need to control the variables that the plant wants, i couldnt see growing any other way. You get what you put into it.

its so funny, people are worried about running co2, but dont have all the parameters surrounding transpiration in check, lol.

Dr. GreenBrain said:
If that's the case then I think I should put in my two cents. I disagree with the claims to the effect that this method is ineffective. Here is why, if even a little CO2 is introduced into the environment, it will be beneficial to your plants. You could be right, there may not be any noticeable change in mass, but it's still more glucose than the plant had before. At the very least, the plant will be better able to fend off disease and recover from stress because of the extra energy it is producing.

Glucose levels are not really a big concern, not something you really need to worry about. Carbs are great, but heres the deal. The amound of co2 generated is negligible at best. For the trouble, its a waste of time. Use co2 when you can afford the equipment to run it accurately.

Glucose does deter cuttings from rooting as fast, one reason i dont supplement it. (like using Botanicare sweet)

Dr. GreenBrain said:
..point taken...
please, don't take it personal. I'm only stating 'my' experiences/beliefe. Co2 is definately a requirement for healthy plants. I just believe that sufficient fresh air, will provide as well or better, than this system and trying to control/decrease ventilation, to increase co2 levels.

Either a good ventilation system with sufficient air exchange, OR a totally controlled environment with thermostatic control, meters, ect...IMO

Have seen the effects of using co2 from a bottle but i now nothing of your method.
I dont know enough to comment so i'll just say if you think it works for you then hell man who am i to judge and dont be too offended by critisism, i thrown the odd thought out there and been corrected its just like life, one big learning curve.
Dont be put off the site there a lot of of knowledge to be tapped and we all love to help, might get the odd bit of negative vibes but such is life.
Learn, adapt and move on, oh and stay high and green lol

Newbud said:
Have seen the effects of using co2 from a bottle but i now nothing of your method.
I dont know enough to comment so i'll just say if you think it works for you then hell man who am i to judge and dont be too offended by critisism, i thrown the odd thought out there and been corrected its just like life, one big learning curve.
Dont be put off the site there a lot of of knowledge to be tapped and we all love to help, might get the odd bit of negative vibes but such is life.
Learn, adapt and move on, oh and stay high and green lol
Yes I think you are right. I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about growing, but I am learning. At the very least, in terms of this thread, I now know that this method of adding CO2 produces marginal results at best (according to other posters past experience). I thought it sounded like a really good idea when a buddy mentioned it to me, so I thought I'd share.

There is so much info in my books and on the web, and much of it is conflicting. I find it difficult to shift out the good advice from the bad. I sometimes brew my own beer, and that has very specific instructions. I guess brewing beer is more of a science and growing weed is more of an art.

I wasnt trying to knock you down or anything in my previous post, I was just stating my personal experiences...There are times when we have fidgeted with/tended to our gardens as meticulously as possible and when there's nothing else to do but watch the plant grow, then we (I) try to think up other alternative techniques. If not for trial and error, then nothing new would be learned, so please dont be discouraged from posting new ideas and concepts. And if and when you get conflicting advice or wanna learn more, just use the scientific method and do a control grow and a variable grow. I was just stating that this is what I did to test the CO2 supplementation, and relayed to you my perceived results.

Latest posts

Back