Afraid rain may wash out my sprouts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trueshoe

Reaction score
Okay I just germinated yesterday about 30 seeds for a second outdoor site. The weather looked good when I checked the 10 day forecast 2 days ago. Today I look at the weather and it is saying there is a chance of storms for the next 3 days. I never like to germinate for more than 4 days. But I am afraid a heavy storm will wash my sprouts out and/or shock them before they have a chance to grow a strong root structure. Any advice as what to do? There isn't any turning back now.

Would it be worth it to keep my plants in the paper towels for a 5th day?... If so what might the effects be? I usually see that most of the sprouts having green leafed tops around day 3 and all have leafs starting by day 4. So I always figured they need to get in the ground and start getting sun by then.

I'm kind of hoping I just get lucky and the rain passes... But just in case I don't let me know if there's anything I can do.

What's wrong with putting them all in dixie cups for a week or so under flos, then put them out when they have a decent chance of making it?

:yeahthat: IMO should be well vegged b4 outside. ive left sprouts in towel so long b4 they weaved in, out, & through it. managed to keep a few & 9/10 of em lived. they were in paper towel/zip-lock almost 2 wks

I would put them in some sort of container under cfl's. I use 20 oz plastic cups with holes punched in the bottom

Trueshoe said:
Okay I just germinated yesterday about 30 seeds for a second outdoor site. The weather looked good when I checked the 10 day forecast 2 days ago. Today I look at the weather and it is saying there is a chance of storms for the next 3 days. I never like to germinate for more than 4 days. But I am afraid a heavy storm will wash my sprouts out and/or shock them before they have a chance to grow a strong root structure. Any advice as what to do? There isn't any turning back now.

Would it be worth it to keep my plants in the paper towels for a 5th day?... If so what might the effects be? I usually see that most of the sprouts having green leafed tops around day 3 and all have leafs starting by day 4. So I always figured they need to get in the ground and start getting sun by then.

I'm kind of hoping I just get lucky and the rain passes... But just in case I don't let me know if there's anything I can do.

Sure. Dig them up and put them in posts. Then return them to the ground once they're sturdy enough to withstand the rain. For future reference, plants that will end up outside in the ground still need to be STARTED in pots for this very reason.

Lass

Latest posts

Back