another pollen question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
Is there pollen in the balls as soon as they form or does it take a certain amount of time to produce the pollen. The reason im asking is because i want to pollenate a plant i have in my flower closet and i need to do it in the next week. My male plant has a few good sized balls up at the top but its only a few. I really only want a little bit of pollen. Its really dark outside right now so i cant get a pic of the male.

What do you think?

Seems like i read here that You can take the flowers and put them in a baggie with some rice (to soak up excess moisture) and the flowers will open.
i pollenated a plant of mine, but i waited till some of the flowers opened. i used a paint brush this time, last time the husband put the bud in the baggie that had the pollen in it. After remember to spray the plant with water, so the pollen does not transfer to your other plants.

I did not answer Your question tho, sorry. Maybe cut one of those flowers open and look?

Also, read somewhere that if you quit watering the male, the flowers will open quicker, i did that and it worked, but they would have opened anyway.

It takes time for the pollen to mature to the point that it 's viable.
With the rice idea you wait till the stamen are almost ready to open and then harvest ( the stamen will start to bend over and swell )
You could also isolate the males .you can use florescent lights (at 12-12 ) for the final part of the male grow .
They don't need alot of energy if all you want is a little pollen.
Hope this helped good luck .

You will be able to see the balls "burst".

Thanks everybody. I guess I just gotta wait and see. I didnt know if there was an average time for how long it takes to be ready, like a budding female.

You can take a cutting from the male plant and place it in water much like you would a clone and the balls will open up in a few days. Hope this helps. Take care and be safe.

Latest posts

Back