Automate watering help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Toker

Living Large
Reaction score
I am moving all my girls inside now and they are still in soil. How can I automate watering of my plants? I am leaving for 10 days and need some automated system. All help is appreciated

:ccc:The Toker:ccc:

I've heard of 1/2 hour on, 1/2 hour off.

I think leaving it on 24/7 would work, since the water will be highly oxygenated, but it may not be optimal (pump may get hot, too).

there are some things you fill with water, then push into the dirt. the soil when it dries out will draw out the water when needed..
but i don't think they'll cover you for 10 days (probably max at like a week, i don't know though, i've never used them myself)

here's some idea's http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/mist2.shtml

I recall a recent post talking about a "wick system", might try hitting the seach with that.. ;)

I read up on the "wick' and sounds good..also those things you put in the ground you are talking about may work..I never used them..I do have a couple...mayB you could put some soil moist and mix it in the top few inches, but this would be an experiment tho..and wouldnt want you to try...I also made a watering system out of a 5 gallon water jug, some poly hose..a garden timer...and gravity...it works well but have yet to experiment with it..I try not to plan grows around lifes vacations...if you are like me and no one knows you grow then you have to find ways to take care of things ourselfs...If you have someone you could trust to take care of them great..I dont trust no one..well thats enough rambling I worked off my HIGH..better hit the bong again.....KEEP M GREEN

If your doing soil, just copy the EBB & Flow technique. Pretty much the same things as using the 5 gallon jug, I think haha.

How would you use wick system?? You would have to remove the plant from the dirt, wouldn't that put them in serious shock? I guess I don't understand

Tha Toker

The Toker said:
How would you use wick system?? You would have to remove the plant from the dirt, wouldn't that put them in serious shock? I guess I don't understand

Tha Toker

This is how I would do it if I was to put a Wick in my condainer of soil...I would take a 12" ruler ( like they have in school). push it next to soil and container down as far as you can, then push it towards the plant..pull it back out and insert wick...and wick to Gallon jug or simmular..and I would mayB do two in the container...

Those glass globes are cool but brake easy...Home Depot has some Bottle feeders that state waters for 3 weeks...I baught one last summer but did not care for it..Good luck with this and Keep us posted

KEEP M GREEN:D

If your plants are not root bound you should be able to easily slip the root ball out of the container. Push some long strips of cotton such as some old tube socks or t-shirts through the holes. Then slip the plant back in holding the wicks on the sides.
I have my plants in soil pots 1 and 5 gallon sizes. They are in a hydro ebb and flo setup. I water twice a day for 5 minutes with a timer. The plants suck up enough water from the bottom of the pots in that amount of time. It works great but I still have to top off the res every 4 days or so.

Okay Toker....just PM me your address Ill come plant sit for you...I work for Budd...lol..

Latest posts

Back