Carry over traits in bagseed.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemmongrass

Basil Farmer.
Reaction score
So. i started my first crop with a bunch of seeds from an ounce of regs i thought was special. and boy was it!

I was reeeealy good looking, fluffy, buddy and so on. but it had almost no high.it looked liek someone had yanked the crop early on a decent grow. seeds wernt bad... maybe a good outdoor grow that got neglected... i dunno. but the seeds looked great and so did the pot so i grew it. i could feel those little bean's potential energy yearning to show what they could do under good conditions.

i had 29. after 1.5 months of veg there was 24. after sexing there was 8. i killed 2 cause their root balls were caked with fungus gnat larvae(bad bag of dirt). after 12 weeks of veg and 4 weeks of flower 2 got nananers. 5 weeks flower, 2 more with nanners. week 6, 100% sex change on total crop.

Now i know these plants got stressed bad, at least a little bit in every direction. But that doesn't account for the >50% male ratio, or the 100% rate of herming.

So i am sitting here tonight talking to you and looking at the last half ounce from the last plant to herm. its been cut hung bagged and jarred for a week or so. Smokes okay... 100% head high. the other 5 i killed smoked better. taste and high. funny cause this plant matured to have almost twice the bud weight of the others..... but here i am. having smoked nearly 4 grams of it today between my old lady and i.... barley high. it hits good and goes for about 10min, then is gone. JUST like the reg i got the seeds from. really searching my brain and inspecting my buds, it looks like the original was shaded or grown under floros... and yanked early... dare i speculate because of mass hermaphrodism? if it was outdoor, that would account for the presence of the amount of seeds it had. like it hermed and didn't get checked for 3 or 4 weeks.

You all ever plant some bagseed and see clearly the reasons the weed it came from sucked?

------sorry this is where i start talking about a diff generation, sorry.------

this round is bagseed from good med quality strain typed pot bought on the local market. had to be a local grower. the buds were care for too tenderly to be commercial. the baggies had their names written on them... so cute. i planted i think 12 and get 10 fems... i smell internet bought feminized seeds... hehe.. 2 are PURE sativas almost 3 feet grown 12/12 from seed, little side growth. 1 is an 8in indica with no side growth and pink hairs. just one cute 7" bud. 1 is a solid 14" bud on a 16" plant. im thinking one of the pure indicas that isnt LR. one 80% sativa. it switches between nodes of indica dominant fan sets and sativa dom sets. 1 is a nearly perfect 16" indica xmas tree. The rest are various hybrids.

my friend gave me these seeds and neither he nor i know which bags they came from. but i had bought from the same provider for nearly a year and he had a set range of breeds. Royal Orange, Blue mystic, AK47, AK48, so much powerplant i didn't want to buy it, SSH, WW, WR(rarely), a few XXXX-skunk breeds and a handful of berry indica crosses. over the time he provided to me the buds labels one strain always looked identical. even if bought months apart. So thats about about 80% of the possible strains. When i bought from him i almost only bought the first 6 listed. we normally split 4ths so it was pretty much identical for him.

thanks for reading. lol.

You say this round of bagseed came from med quality seeds, but I.M.O. if its med quality there wont be any seeds. And if all your plants hermed, I would look at things maybe you may have done wrong, I.E. light leaks during flower, interruption of light/dark cycle. That does sound like too high a ratio to go male, even from bagseed.

I'm with Rockster and Friend-of-a-friend. The few seeds you find in a bag of quality bud are almost certainly the result of selfing and these will tend to hermie. I also believe that med quality bud should have no seeds. And if you do find them, they should be thrown away.

oh yea, if you note, the story about the herms was from some other bunk schwag i bought. it was ust reeealy good looking schwag that still smoked like schwag which pointed to a stalled home grow to me or something.

i haven't been able to afford nugget in over a year which is why my friend collected these seeds. in the year i bought from the guy(about a q every week and a half) i found 2 seeds but lost them. my buddy bought an 8th every 2 days so thats alot of weed to find a handful of seeds in.

i had one branch on my herms get dusted with pollen and go to seed. but it was only the one pinky sized bud out of a 2oz plant.

i am NO advocate of fem/herm seeds hempg. i am very against it. but when you are faced with two seed sources, one $60/oz schwag that i can afford, or the possible herm seeds of nug, ill roll with the nugget seeds.

again, the 100% herm rate was out of a bag of schwag, not the nugget seeds.

lotek said:
it took a year to collect those 12 seeds.... still med qual in my book.
i'm with you on that. if med quality can't have seeds how you posta keep the breed goin. i'd let one every so often seed just to have a seed bank.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I'm with Rockster and Friend-of-a-friend. The few seeds you find in a bag of quality bud are almost certainly the result of selfing and these will tend to hermie. I also believe that med quality bud should have no seeds. And if you do find them, they should be thrown away.

So your really saying that any bagseed found in any quality of weed should be thrown away. I guess I am just willing to take a chance on the unknown. :confused:

lordhighlama said:
So your really saying that any bagseed found in any quality of weed should be thrown away. I guess I am just willing to take a chance on the unknown. :confused:

Yes, that is what I am saying. It takes 4-6 months to grow a plant from seed. By the time I get to harvest, I have invested a lot of time, money, and energy into my plants. I want to know what I am ending up with. Having 1 plant hermie and pollinate an entire crop is not a chance I am willing to take (again--had a bagseed hermie many moons ago), especially when seeds are soooo inexpensive. In addition to this, even if they do not hermie, you have no idea where the pollen that created the seeds came from--it could be roadside hemp or some other low quality strain and you end up with "no high" pot, as lotek did. I usually pay between $2 and $5 apiece for seeds. Considering the price of seeds and the effort required to bring a plant to harvest, no, I am not willing to take a chance on the unknown.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Yes, that is what I am saying. It takes 4-6 months to grow a plant from seed. By the time I get to harvest, I have invested a lot of time, money, and energy into my plants. I want to know what I am ending up with. Having 1 plant hermie and pollinate an entire crop is not a chance I am willing to take (again--had a bagseed hermie many moons ago), especially when seeds are soooo inexpensive. In addition to this, even if they do not hermie, you have no idea where the pollen that created the seeds came from--it could be roadside hemp or some other low quality strain and you end up with "no high" pot, as lotek did. I usually pay between $2 and $5 apiece for seeds. Considering the price of seeds and the effort required to bring a plant to harvest, no, I am not willing to take a chance on the unknown.

Agree. Using beans from a higher end comercial grade, as a test run on first time in hydro (dwc) just to get the experiance in getting everything dialed in with the dwc system. After this harvest will only grow high end quality beans.

this still is missing the point that the herm problem was with avg schwag bagseed... not good seed.

AND. even if they are herm seeds, considering 90% of commercial growers are not aware/don't care about herm genes, they use fem seeds. So how much worse can using a herm of a herm be anyway, the breeders already FUBAR'ed it's genetics anyway.

If i was ever to purchase seeds, they will never be fem seeds. or ruderalis.

Also TGH, i know yoru growing style is at an opposite end than mine. ive seen your nurtured plants that you grow, a couple at a time. they are beautiful and nearly maxed out to their potential. seemingly due to law and size constrains. i could fit 200 6" pots in my room if i made a couple stepping stones, so in my view, if they do herm, yes it sucks, but it is still pot i can smoke... which for my grow means i dont have to buy schwag between harvests because they dont line up perfectly as i like to play and experiment with many things at the same time. there are many better things i could spend 150 bones on than seeds at this point.

So, since it is blindingly clear that one should not go out of their way to use herm offspring i think we can stop discussing that.

Has anyone actually taken the time to grow the few interesting seeds they have managed to find and had interesting traits transfer over?

Edit: THG, my pot didn't have a gene issue with canabinoid production, it was 6 pure sativa plants i had to hop 4 weeks into flower.... a short speedy pure thc high from incomplete flowering time sounds like what should be expected... the buds are coated with trics, but only 10% were cloudy. if that.

The Hemp Goddess said:

I see what your saying here THG but I am at a lack of good genetics so when I find a bean in some of my mid to high grade smoke I get exited about it. Yes it has a good chance of going hermie and I don't know anything about the strain, but it ends up better than the smoke I pulled it from so it's better than a kick in the head I guess.

So what I'm saying is if you have nothing else dont throw away your only option.

lotek said:
You all ever plant some bagseed and see clearly the reasons the weed it came from sucked?

No

Why would anyone with half a brain want to put the time, energy and resources into a grow, of a strain that sucked in the first place? That is what baffles me.

..... lets see..... i dont have $150 to send over seas, nor do i have the time at the moment to fully veg mothers and produce clone crops...

knowledge, experience, experimentation, quality herb(my herm nugs were better than 45-50$ beasters available in this area... for a couple hundred in startup supplies.

Are you guys really telling a person new to growing that its not worth growing unless you buy strain typed seeds?

If so, wth is wrong with you?

For one thing there are a lot seeds that are not $150 that are killer and no doubt better than what you are use to.

Why have a $200 worth of start supplies if you are going to use $0.02 seeds and grow $50 weed. When for a $2-$5 seed you know you are going to have some killer weed instead of street weed. That is like buy a sports car and telling them to take the engine out. If you would do this, wth is wrong with you?

Ive been growing bagseed on and off for about 6 years. Ive had the biggest variety in plants super stinky, potent, big buds. I ordered seeds not to long ago Auto GWS. they did cost me 40 dollars but I also got 10 free Kc36 seeds (10 bucks for ten if you buy them). The one kc I planted turned into a female. While Its still a few weeks away, im drooling over it while i sit here unsatisfied with 3 different types of decent bud from the last bagseed I grew out. Overall, without smoking it yet I would say the kc is likely to be better than around 75 percent of all b/seed i grew. Im kicking my own a$$ for not ordering them years ago and I dont want you to do the same. 10 to 20 isnt much. pick up something that would be considered lower quality and compare it to bagseed. Then you should seee what i just have and wont mind spending 50-60 or more dollars on quality seeds. This is just my recent experience hope it helps.

lol,, you guys are killing me here. Sadly I see both lotek and THG point here. But that sports car comment from pcduck just cracked me up and hit me in the head like a box of rocks at the same time. :eek:

Unfortunatly I'm just too afraid to order beans off the internet. :eek:

lordhighlama said:
Unfortunatly I'm just too afraid to order beans off the internet.

I was too for 15 years, Then I finally got tired of high prices and dirt weed.

Heck 5 years ago, I wouldn't even go to marijuana web sites. If my leg was long enough I would be kicking myself in my own derriere for being scared and waiting. What a difference:D

I too see both points. im not saying not to buy them, in fact i will no doubt after my current crop, the 2nd one i talked about, is done. its not like i planned on blowing years on this, ive only been doing this for 6 months with 1 harvested and several vegged. but i know lots of ppl grow bagseed so i didnt expect to be isolated as such on this.

Latest posts

Back