CFL PC Grow- Jackberry x KO Kush

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the pictures I promised. I will try and post new pictures every day, even if there is no big updates.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Temps are running a little high. Growth slows dramatically at 85 degrees or hotter.

I know my temps are a bit high and I'm not worried. Our fall season here in SoCal has begun and temps have dropped dramatically. My window is open and my room is a good 5-10 degrees colder than it was previously.

I'm going to water my plants today around 11:00am, about an hour or so before the lights go off. With any luck, the ambient temp will have shown inside of the case :)

A 6 pack cooler with a bag of ice would likely be enough to cool the area down, put the cooler near the pc box, put a fan on it blowing toward the box....might help.

Alright, well I cheated and peaked and watered my children early. The ambient temperature has dropped 4 degrees, which is awesome. I'm expecting it to drop more since I only have my DC switch on 7.5v instead of 9 or 12v, so my fans aren't working as hard as they could be. I'm betting if I switched it back, I could dip into the 70's.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the plants. I'm betting next week will show some awesome growth.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

TerrorAP2 said:
Alrighty, I have a little update. I just bought a 3 prong to 2 prong plug adapter and got my light timer plugged in and set up. The lights come on at 6:30pm and off at 12:30pm. Up until now, they were on 24/0. I'll have some pictures in a bit, although there isn't much to see.

This is really a bad idea--your grow room is not grounded.

Why did you go to a 18/6 light schedule?

The prong adapter is grounded, no worries. I wouldn't do anything dangerous to jeopardize my safety. I went with 18/6 so I wouldn't have to have my lights on all day. Electricity gets expensive :D

If you went from a 3 prong to a 2 prong, you really are not grounded.

IMO, it is false economy--you are not really saving any electricity--you are just extending it over time--actually extending your veg time. Plants will grow all the time the lights are on. With your lights, it most likely hardly makes any difference in your power bill. It can make a big difference in growth/stretch/budding sites/final yield. Electricity is cheap compared to bud. Tell me the (actual) wattage of the lights you are using and what you pay per KW and I will tell you how much it costs you to run your lights 24/7 compared to 18/6.

Every little bit helps in my mind. I don't really care about yield. This is an experimental grow in a PC. If I can save 5-10$ a month in electricity, that's cool. Even if I only save 2-3$, that's cool as well. Also, I don't want the lights to keep me up at night for the few hours of sleep that I do get.

After calling my friend who is an electrician, he told me that even if the package says it's "grounded" it really isn't. I just got back from Walmart where I purchased a grounded timer. This should be the last thing I have to buy for a while.

TerrorAP2 said:
Alright, well I cheated and peaked and watered my children early. The ambient temperature has dropped 4 degrees, which is awesome. I'm expecting it to drop more since I only have my DC switch on 7.5v instead of 9 or 12v, so my fans aren't working as hard as they could be. I'm betting if I switched it back, I could dip into the 70's.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the plants. I'm betting next week will show some awesome growth.

if you're in veg, it realy doesn't matter, you'd be much better to go 24/7 anyway....as others have said lol

Put a blanket up between you and the box, it really can't put off much light anyway.

You would be surprised at the light it gives off. I suppose I could find a way to black out the face plate.

You had better have a plan for sealing your little space up. Once you go to 12/12, you need absolute 100% dark during the dark period, or you are going to have problems.

Running your lights 18/6 is going to encourage stretch, something you do not want in that little space.

Ya he/she problems eek :(

As everyone else said the 24/0 is a much better lighting schedule. Those cfls barely pull any electricity anyway.

The space is sealed. The light inside is so bright that it shines through the face plate. Once the light goes off, the inside is pitch black. I'm currently trying to cover the face plate up so I can leave the lights on for 24/7 and not have it keep me up at night. I need to make another trip to Walmart it seems :(

Mmk almost got everything the way I want it. The face plate is now covered and all the light that was once keeping me up is now gone. I also made a ghetto light trap to get rid of the glow emanating from where my exhaust fan was.

Let's get some good rest tonight!

My temps went back up today and I'm not sure why. I'll have to figure out a way to keep them below 85, perhaps some ice or something cold in the path of the intake fan. Anyone have any tips?

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Latest posts

Back