Crossing strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman

Reaction score
So i am coming to the end of our grow season and harvest is nearly here.
I only just did my first grow and my biggest plant,my pride and joy turned out to be a dam hermaphrodite.
I dont want this to happen next year so i want to know where my seeds are coming from.
I have been thinking that if i order a few different types of seeds off the net and grow them in winter,seperate the males and the females then when the females are flowering pollenate them with the males. So i would get say... BigBud x Afghan and then i would get big buds that are even better because afghan grows great in my climate.... Would this work?
A guy at my work tells me that the seeds will be crap because just liek growing good buds you need good light etc to grow good seeds.
Whats the run down with this basically i am a complete novice and i need your help before i start go ordering seeds and trying to cross pollinate with out actually knowing what i am doing.
Oh and does anyone know where a good place to order my seeds from,i live in australia.

Just order good seeds and then find your favorite female and take clones instead of attempting to breed.

If you are set on making seeds you will need at least some way of keeping the male alive until you can collect pollen. You can't just throw him in a dark closet, but he also won't need grow lights, you're not going to be too concerned with how well he grows once you make your selection.

Your first cross, the seeds will be very inconsistent, showing traits from both plants, and traits that you didn't even see that were recessive in the plant. There is an awful lot of time, money, and effort that goes into producing a stable strain. You need to go to the breeding section of this forum and read up. With as cheap as seeds are, it's easy to order them as you need them. If your not worried about consistency and just want a bunch of seeds, then by all means chuck some pollen at a female and she will make seeds, but if you are looking to procreate a specific strain that will show specific traits, then be prepared for a lot of research and time.

I order from marijuana-seeds.nl, but I don't live in Australia.

Latest posts

Back