cutting fan leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubbfuzz

Reaction score
Allright, had my step dad come by today. he's a seasoned vet at growin pot. he confirmed that i have a nice healthy female.. we cut some of the fan leaves off to make more room for the light to hit the flowering leaves. The cola has a small budd forming. If i add more lights as the plant grows during flowering is that ok or will it shock it? since its a female it would be a shame to make a hermie.:hitchair:

leave em, depends on your light schedule but if your flowering her, yes it will stress it:fid: . Dont cut them off anyways i seem is better. More water the better

rubbfuzz said:
Allright, had my step dad come by today. he's a seasoned vet at growin pot. he confirmed that i have a nice healthy female.. we cut some of the fan leaves off to make more room for the light to hit the flowering leaves. The cola has a small budd forming. If i add more lights as the plant grows during flowering is that ok or will it shock it? since its a female it would be a shame to make a hermie.:hitchair:

Adding more light can only help, as long as temps are fine.
Cutting off fan leaves can only hurt.

congrats on the female.. I didn't know about not cutting fan leaves.. and I have been and seem to be doing ok.. what's the disadvantage?

octobong007 said:
congrats on the female.. I didn't know about not cutting fan leaves.. and I have been and seem to be doing ok.. what's the disadvantage?

the fans are still producing foods for the plant that it will need while making the transition from vegging to flowering and some of these are lost when you hack off green things before their time.

BTW congrats on the girl take care of her and she will take care of you MOJO for that girl man :aok:

Yeah dude... cutting fan leaves off is an old myth... leave em on! if you want to cut off something... cut off the scraggly poor growth near the bottom.

Cutting fans is a definate no-no,especially when flowering.

Like KADE said,the bottom 1/3 of the plant,and the inner growth can be trimmed.

You could also try lollipopping your girl,for bigger tops.

aaahhh photosyntesis, guess i better go back to third grade on that one. i was always under the assumption the big fan leaves blocked out light for newer thriving leaves under it. when i ask about trimmin fan leaves, i'm meaning WELL into flowering, in vegging only the "really big" ones. is that still a no no? i'm all with ya on the lollypoppin, comes out looking like a field of grapefruit, sswweeeeeetttt.

yeah i didnt cut all the fanleaves. just a few big ones. i left alot of the fan leaves on

the bigger the leaf... the more energy it absorbs... so more food can be used... and more growth can be obtained....

cut off ur arms and see how easy it is for you to eat!*

*disclaimer.... you shouldn't try cutting off ur arms =)

If a fan leaf is blocking a bud site, it could be removed. When a leaf yellows, it's energy has been used up, so remove it completely from the grow area. I used to just pile those leaves in the grow area, they will attract bugs...danged mites...taught me a lesson about keeping your grow area clean...

Peace...j.b.

KADE said:
the bigger the leaf... the more energy it absorbs... so more food can be used... and more growth can be obtained....

cut off ur arms and see how easy it is for you to eat!*

*disclaimer.... you shouldn't try cutting off ur arms =)
just bought my first steamroller like 20 minutes ago, and i'm so glad you put the disclaimer on....

jb247 said:
If a fan leaf is blocking a bud site, it could be removed. When a leaf yellows, it's energy has been used up, so remove it completely from the grow area. I used to just pile those leaves in the grow area, they will attract bugs...danged mites...taught me a lesson about keeping your grow area clean...

thanx for explaining this in detail, NOW makes sense. (i need all the help i can get) i've taken some out of my hydro, but since this post has started none has been removed...might be my imagination, but looks like a growth spurt. thanx to all for the advice, i'll follow it the best i can...old habits=hard to break sometimes.

it must agree with every one , Do Not CUT any healthy fan leaves

i trimmed a whole bunch of leaves once back in the day...and it really slowed my growth for about a week. pritty sure i shocked the plant good.
i havent cut anyting besides a clone since then....

yeah it slowed my growth down for about a week as well, but now shes shootin up and flowerin like mad

Latest posts

Back