determine sex by looks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timdog4

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am growing some northern lights seeds i got from a friend of a friend. I am at the end of the grow (week 8) and started some new ones. My question is if anyone every had a strain where they could tell the sex just by the looks of the plant? I had 3 males and 3 females in my first grow and the males were really different looking. I think I can tell which ones are male and female in my new grow, 3 and 3 again. Anybody ever notice this?? thanks

im really not too sure what you mean......but you always determine sex by looking at the plant....... or atleast i always do...

The females will have a "pistil" and the males have balls.
do a search for sexing....there is a great post on how to tell........but im not going to find it for you....sry

p.s.....if theres another way to tell sex besides looking at it........your the first to know of it.....i think

OMG of course you have to look at it but I mean not looking for balls or pistils, just the overall looks of the plant. My males were alot taller and skinnier and even the leaves are different. I believe I can determine sex of my plants without preflowers, they look alot different(males and females), at least the strain i am growing does.

timdog4 said:
OMG of course you have to look at it but I mean not looking for balls or pistils, just the overall looks of the plant. My males were alot taller and skinnier and even the leaves are different. I believe I can determine sex of my plants without preflowers, they look alot different(males and females), at least the strain i am growing does.

it's true ;)

you will def get good if you grow the same strain, say, 200 plants or so? yep, males and females of the same strain do differ, sometimes only slightly. but i've been guessing gender before preflowers for a while, and i'm only surprised every now and then.... (friggin hermies...) :D

differnet pheno types can do the same thing,esp hybrids where one is more like the mother and the other is more like the dad.

timdog4 said:

o well ok, ya.

Males are normally taller.....

However, i have thought b4 that a plant was going to be a deffinate male....and it ends up being a tall female.

But ya i know what you mean............

With my Northernskunk, I could definately tell the difference. The male branches coming off the main stalk were thick, with nodes only at the top of the branches. While the female branches were thiner, and many nodes coming off the branches.

look for an adams apple...;)

timdog4 said:
Hey guys, I am growing some northern lights seeds i got from a friend of a friend. I am at the end of the grow (week 8) and started some new ones. My question is if anyone every had a strain where they could tell the sex just by the looks of the plant? I had 3 males and 3 females in my first grow and the males were really different looking. I think I can tell which ones are male and female in my new grow, 3 and 3 again. Anybody ever notice this?? thanks

i get you buddy.. im growing 3 plants now and they are in 10th day of flowering 2 of them have a couple of little white hairs and thier leaves looks diffrent from the other even thogh they are the same strain!! the one that have hairs have thick fat leaves ond its longer!! but im not sure about thier sex yet.. but you might be right

Latest posts

Back