Direction to put seed in soil after germination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddmachinist

Reaction score
I have a few seeds that I started to germinate in paper towels and they have cracked but the tap root doesn't want to come out any farther. Therefor I am goin to put the into peat pots. Now I kno normally kno you put the root facing down. But I swear I read on here the if its like under a quarter inch or something you face it up because it has to turn around or something . Help!

I always plant root up but its really all about preference, I guess. The reason I plat root tip up is the root will reverse, the cracked shell will catch on the soil and help break the seedling free. I get less seedlings that I have to pry the seed shell from doing it this way.

I aint never tried to put a seed in soil,,in any paticular position one way or the other. I poke a hole,, drop it in,, and cover it up. Water and watch. Never had a problem.It always comes Head UP outta tha ground,havent seen the feet yet.:D Mother nature is very smart.

:yeahthat:

I pretty much do the same as Weedhopper.

I've tried that but always end up just puttin the bean in willy nilly and they always photoreact accordingly...

Lots of beans popped and I never worry which way the bean is pointing...Mother Nature does the rest. jmo

7greeneyes said:
I've tried that but always end up just puttin the bean in willy nilly and they always photoreact accordingly...

I was always under the impression that it is gravity that makes the root grow down and the plant grow up?

Thanks for the input everyone and just to be clear I'm talking about seeds that all already cracked and the tap root is already coming out . I know that if u just throw a seed in soil it will grow the proper way (towards the light) and I'm sure it will work the same for seeds just started. I just kno that seeds ive started in the dark in peat pots ( from seed ) came out in crazy directions , assuming due to the lack of light ?

If they came out in crazy directions, it was not because they were in the dark in peat pots. When covered, the root grows down and the growing tip grows up because of gravity. Since they are under the dirt, they do not know where the light is coming from.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If they came out in crazy directions, it was not because they were in the dark in peat pots. When covered, the root grows down and the growing tip grows up because of gravity. Since they are under the dirt, they do not know where the light is coming from.

O ok now I understand why they grew messed up because the peat Pots were laying on there side

I wonder who's out in nature running around making all the seeds face the proper direction??? It must be Johnny Apple Seed's brother......Gary Ganja Seed...;)
I just drop mine in dirt/rockwool cube/whatever and the seed knows what to do.

I put em in pointing down... cause I don't want to eff up expensive seeds! lol

So my noob brain says... lol. I'm so new to this that my opinion is nearly irrelevant! :D

The Hemp Goddess said:
I was always under the impression that it is gravity that makes the root grow down and the plant grow up?

ahh you got me THG, it's gravitropism that causes them to grow accordingly, pulled the wrong lingiddy from the ole brain...lol...I tip my hat, ma'aam. :)

7greeneyes said:
ahh you got me THG, it's gravitropism that causes them to grow accordingly, pulled the wrong lingiddy from the ole brain...lol...I tip my hat, ma'aam. :)

And you taught me a new word....gravitropism. Thanks to you!

Maddmachinist said:
Thanks for the input everyone and just to be clear I'm talking about seeds that all already cracked and the tap root is already coming out . I know that if u just throw a seed in soil it will grow the proper way (towards the light) and I'm sure it will work the same for seeds just started. I just kno that seeds ive started in the dark in peat pots ( from seed ) came out in crazy directions , assuming due to the lack of light ?

Put it in sideways and the tap will figure it out on its own. If, like you said, the tap is just barely emerging.

Wet

I love Mother Nature,,,She is Sexy.:icon_smile:

im doing to ways,, 1 put seed in a plug n then in soil,, plug is not covered just in soil n 2 the old fashion way,, from what i hear. i put on paper towel, then fold seed in towel couple times label it n moisten the towel

lovbnstoned :cool: :icon_smile:
ol stoned

Latest posts

Back