Do LED UFO & Other Work (you look here)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Effen Gee said:
well...

Personally for a SOG I would do a heavy yielder indica...or any good sativa like cindy or Skunk #1...something that gives you decent single huge colas.

So you wont have to worry about "Unders" or the popcorn. I would focus on a one nug stick farm if I had a smaller area.

I have seen a few LED grows, and I have seen even more flouros...IMO...they work about the same, LED's worse for flower.
You're right about soggin it.Add some side lighting and you're gold.And the flowering problem with leds has been pretty much solved due to recent advancements.I've found that using 660nm reds(most ufo's use 620-630) that flowering is every bit as profuse as hps.Realizing that 1w diodes arent going to break the canopy much, I decided to use the leds greatest advantage-Their lack of heat, and basically line the iside of the tent with as much usable light as possible and see what happens.The use of white leds has been neglected in most led grows I've seen.That just proves there are still as yet undetermined wavelengths that our beloved plant uses for flowering purposes.But just a little white-15% or so-does the trick.Blue and red go a long way, but not all the way.Orange seems to beef up the flowering process as well-20w in my tent(out of 250) has def helped the cause.

I totally forgot about this thread, when I started a new LED from scratch. While I can only have about 2 years at this, here is my truth

LED alone from start to finish will save you about $30 a month over using 400HPS. Nothing Vegges' like them. I like the All blue i have been using the other thread and you could keep a mother in a case with a UFO ALL BLUE and keep it alive until you screw it up. You do loose 15-25% in Size with ALL LED. I (and lord knows I know nothing) am established now that i will use ALL BLUE UFO from seed for 45 days, clones, being the age respectively of the parent, so you decide how much veg time you would want.

I am not flowering 3 that I raised (other LED thread by me) and after bringing them over, I have one under 400HPS, ONE under 120LED and One Under 90W LED. It was the plant that I dropped the light on and broke in half in Veg. Would have used as mother, but none of this is going to finish before i have to hit the road for a couple months.

I would use the LEDs that I need from now on, about the week or right before in Flowering when I push the nut's, I will supplement ONE 400 HPS in the top and middle of a 7x4 area with the LEDs hanging over each plant. Run the HPS 5 hours in the 12 hour cycle say mimic the sun at the peak times a day and that bulks them up and you still have saved a ton of money on replaceables, electricity and your green makes you just a little greener with a smaller carbon print. All this means nothing to those doing it for profit, they want it fast, want it now and what are 600 a month electric bills to them at $300 an ounce.

i need to speak a professional about LEDs lol
because i am thinking of buying 1 , hXXp://catalog.myosram.com/zb2b/b2b/start.do?browsername=mozilla%2F5.0%2520%2528windows%253B%2520u%253B%2520windows%2520nt%25206.0%253B%2520en-us%253B%2520rv%253A1.9.0.10%2529%2520gecko%2F2009042316%2520firefox%2F3.0.10&browsermajor=5&browserminor=5
all these lights are available to buy in my city :D
but i have to customize a reflector does LED require a good reflector ? or it beams from the top and no reflector is needed?

crozar said:
i need to speak a professional about LEDs lol
because i am thinking of buying 1 , price doesnt matter

all these lights are available to buy in my city :D
but i have to customize a reflector does LED require a good reflector ? or it beams from the top and no reflector is needed?
No reflector needed-the beams are all set to a specific angle for max coverage.IMHO-stay away from the current 1w diode tek.The lumigrow at 50x5w led diodes is the sickest I've seen.Not only does it have higher watt diodes, but the color(nm) specs-sorta like color temp-are all on point for both veg and flowering.

can led ufo work for all cycles of the growth ?

crozar said:
can led ufo work for all cycles of the growth ?

I say no, but that is coming from a grower who likes large yields and strong plants.

Perhaps for veg and for flower if you mix spectrums, like with either a MH or HPS the led's are going to give you more of a full spectrum...but in reality...that really does not matter.

I dont know, I'm getting some pretty good results with led, and I have quite a few hid grows behind me.So take it from someone who has worked in both camps-you can get good yields with led.And as far as strong plants-my leaves dont fall

day 10 004.JPG

marchweek1 007-1.JPG

And flowering with leds has nothing to do with mixing spectrums in my experience.It's the deep red(660nm) reds that work great in flower, once again from my own experience-for whatever thats worth.peace

daaaamm bf , lol that looks like your doing surgery for those 4 plants lol.
looks scarey , i hope the plants arent scared , maybe they think theyr growing in mars not earth.
btw how does the bud taste and feel like ? same as normal indoor HPS lights ?

bf74 said:
I dont know, I'm getting some pretty good results with led, and I have quite a few hid grows behind me.So take it from someone who has worked in both camps-you can get good yields with led.And as far as strong plants-my leaves dont fall

wow, those are CUTE!!

ummm...btw, those plants look severely overfed and your leaves are SUPPOSED to fall off in late flower, if not you are feeding your plants too much food.

That looks like less than an oz harvest, waste of time in my book.

Led's just aren't there yet. Wont be for a long time.

Trust me, if they were I would be the biggest LED advocate you would have ever known of. Promise.

I get pretty tired of the $1200+ electricity bills....

But....

Numbers don't lie. Pounds per light, not ounces here.

Awwww, did I upset you? Always need to be right? Hate having your little belief system shook up?Or are you just broke?Add sarcastic and unpleasant-you must get *** like a toilet.And it was 3oz dry from 7 just rooted clones-my grows have been documented here and on other websites, and all in all its been positive vibes.I have a current grow, check it out-I'll be sure to keep an eye on yours.Now, tell me what you know about led culture.What is your experience.Or do you just go by what you hear.And attacking someone unprovoked.Might as well add douche-bag to that list of positives.

And pounds per light?So this site is only for cash croppers?Apples and oranges dude, and what about par-care to discuss?For someone not interested in leds you sure waste alot of your time on led threads.

FIRST OFF HELLO TO THOSE WHO SEE THIS. I'M FROM DUVAL FL AND I'M TRYING TO START GROWING WEED. I STAY IN SOME HUD PROJECTS SO I NEED INFO AS TO MY CLOSET SPACE (3x3) AND HOW MANY PLANTS I COULD POSSIBLY GROW.:hubba: :holysheep:

Wow, sorry to hurt your feelings, but lets be realistic: led's are good for small, really small indoor grows. Not everybody who smokes pot, or likes to get high for that matter grows their own weed.

Who cares about growing for profit?

Its legal wher I live and the police could not be happyer, I am putting all the drug dealers out of the mj biz in my area.

...and as far as pounds per light, what's the point of doing something if your only going to half-*** it anyways?

Led's do NOT produce a large harvest. I know from PERSONAL grows using those damn ufo's with supplimental led boards. Horrible yields per sq ft. Not so bat gram per watt though.

They just lack the intensity. No penetration. At all.

Now, here is a teaser for MY latest grow:DSC03807.JPG

haha... you guys are funny. if you wana argue, get married or something..
i think it's cool seeing all kinds of grows. to each their own.
:48:

calm down guys , i will rip both of you soon lol , il be running 1 - 350watts LED board on the top , and 2x 600watts HPS , 1 in each side
and for the other sides 2xT5 + 2xT5 @ 54watts

:p tell me about the yeild of that lol , im not being a nazi against all , but im in the race , so are you readyy :p ready for the race are you readyyy! o o o oooyooo are you ready Vrymmm Vrymmm..

after all that if my grow sucked i will really hate myself.

lol, it's all about havin fun.no hard feelings dude, were just 2 guys approaching the same subject differently.Good luck on your grow.

Ditto, I hope you can get bountiful harvest and convince me to hang up my huge, hot, overpowered eqipment.

Yes at the moment LEDs produce about 40 - 45 lumens per watt, which is roughly the performance of a CFL, and less than HID etc.
But the whole story is more involved: LEDs emit a narrow frequency with virtually no power wasted as useless colours or heat (like green or uv).
Assembled as a panel, they take up a lot of space per lumen, compared to HID, but then maybe the idea is not to build a paneland rather, drape them in strings over the plants.
They cost a lot initially, but should last practically for ever (unless they are over driven to the point of frying). Consider any old electronic appliance: by the time its ready to be thrown out, the little coloured LEDs glowing on the front panel are more than likely still working.
Right now I'm researching to build my own LED light set. I shall make it a new thread here and will be hoping to swap experience and wisdom with other tinkerers.
Oh BTW I'm new to this site, its the idea of LEDs that given me an interest in growing indoors (sick of losing outside plants to bad karma neighbours)
Cheers

but i have to customize a reflector does LED require a good reflector ? or it beams from the top and no reflector is needed?[/quote]

LEDs are almost entirely directional, they need no reflectors for most of the light, but mounting them on a white board, or using reflective surfaces around your plant will grab the stray rays

Latest posts

Back