does growing techniques transfer to the genes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sin inc

eastside greenxpert
Reaction score
i was thinking about something. does your growing techniques become part of the plants genes .like how high the plant was when it was flowered. or the temp of your room. or pot size. can the plants pick up on these things and embed then into thier genes

interesting question---assuming you are talking about taking clones from a single plant---i have seen perpetual cloning get both stronger and weaker---might just be the changes in the soil, environment, etc---not sure if the actual genes of the plant are changing over time or not

I've read an EDIT:article by Shantibaba that to retain hybrid vigor throughout the years you take a cutting and let it grow under that big grow light in the sky up till the flowering phase, then take cuttings from that OD plant and voila! You've just preserved hybrid vigor for one more year.

If I would of known that 6-8 yrs ago I could preserved my clone-only 45 dayer skunk cut but hadn't gotten that wee bit o knowledge till after she had sadly passed. :sadface:

I am under the impression if you germ a seed to fruition and then take cuttings, logically those cuttings are now "conditioned" to your grow environs.

good look out guys but i mean from seed. does the way you grow from seed effect the next crop of seeds that come from the last. say if had 12 plants from seed. if your temp of your grow room stay in the low 70. and you seeded your plants will the next crop of seed be more tolerant to low temps. basically things you do in your grow room will plants from seed pick up on it and pass what it finds to the next batch of seeds . so that is easier for the plant to grow in that condition ,

i asked because i like to grow in 64 0z cups or less . if i keep using these cups with just one strain and i keep inbreeding them will the plants pick up on the 64 oz of soil and adjust the next batch of seeds to grow in just 64 oz of soil. i know dumb ? but it is what it is famliy . these things run in my head ever since i started to mess with breeding

Took Mother nature a long time to evolve MJ to its current state.

I don't think you will live that long.

Unless people generically modify them in the laboratory. Like they do corn, soybean and etc.

I was going to say after thousands of years maybe the seeds would have a change in their dna... But, i don't know enough to comment, but it is a fun thought.

7greeneyes said:
I've read an dissertation by Shantibaba that to retain hybrid vigor throughout the years you take a cutting and let it grow under that big grow light in the sky up till the flowering phase, then take cuttings from that OD plant and voila! You've just preserved hybrid vigor for one more year.

If I would of known that 6-8 yrs ago I could preserved my clone-only 45 dayer skunk cut but hadn't gotten that wee bit o knowledge till after she had sadly passed. :sadface:

I am under the impression if you germ a seed to fruition and then take cuttings, logically those cuttings are now "conditioned" to your grow environs.

This was a dissertation? Why does this happen? I am rather skeptical that growing under the sun is going to give the future cuttings more vigor. Did he explain how/why this worked?

The Hemp Goddess said:
This was a dissertation? Why does this happen? I am rather skeptical that growing under the sun is going to give the future cuttings more vigor. Did he explain how/why this worked?

LEMME try and find that article THG.

He said taking cutting after cutting and growing from clone to clone that over time, most hybrids destabilize because they're not getting true sunlight. I've personally seen this happen to one of my strains that the family had been growing years before i took over the reins so to speak.

lemme try to find that article.

So it sounds like you are speaking of epigenetic. Basically that environment can and does change genetic expression. In short science has shown us yes, environment exposure to pest and disease, these can and do alter future generations genetic code. Through mutation hormonal triggers etc. Time will tell in Cannabis, as research is just now being started as a result of global paradigm shift to decrim and medical benefits.

Peace

I read the article, but it just sounds anecdotal to me. There is nothing scientific to back up his claims, not controlled studies, heck, no studies at all....just an "I did this and it works". And this is just one questionable "source". Is there anything at all that is scientific that has been done with controlled studies to show that this is true? Is there any kind of scientific explanation why this would be true? There are still too many unanswered questions for me to just accept his assertion.

Haha yep. Just like landrace varieties have changed to suit the environment. Still same species

Latest posts

Back