Does premature flowering stress into herms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrochloride

Reaction score
I have read some conflicting things about inducing flowering before they show their sex. I have heard that is stresses plants and can induce them to turn herm, and I have also heard that you can put them into flowering at about 12 inches without any signs of sex. I like the idea of being about to induce them when I like, due to more grow-room control, but I would not wan to find out the hard way.....any insight,..please, thanks

You can induce a plant into flower any time you like age makes no difference, just make sure when you switch the lights that there is no light leaks in your grow area. That will produce hermies almost every time.

lordhighlama said:
You can induce a plant into flower any time you like age makes no difference, just make sure when you switch the lights that there is no light leaks in your grow area. That will produce hermies almost every time.

No,I'm afraid that's not quite correct as a young plant needs to be at a certain stage of development before it will respond to a 12/12 regime as a seedling on 12/12 does not accumulate the hormone phytochrome at the plant meristems,it can't,not till around 4 weeks,although you can grow plants in 12/12 from seedling without a veg stage as I am in my second grow journal.

A seedling in 12/12 has to have so many days at 12/12 before it actually starts to flower properly,otherwise you'd end up with flowering seedlings and not flowering veg plants.

Obviously this doesnt apply to clones and I don't believe growing on 12/12 throughout a plants life is particularly stressful,compared with a light leak it's nothing and a plant grown in 12/12 from seedling is merely a stimulus to flower just as soon as a plant is able to do so,it doesnt obstruct or hamper the growth of the plant,quite the opposite in that it gives a plant a chance to mature asap and this is to a plants evolutionary and genetic advantage.

Also,many equatorial sativa's start on light cycles of 12-13 hours,so again,genes in sativas have been grown in such conditions so I don't consider them particularly stressful?

Has anybody grown in 12/12 and had undesired outcomes?

Rockster said:
No,I'm afraid that's not quite correct as a young plant needs to be at a certain stage of development before it will respond to a 12/12 regime as a seedling on 12/12 does not accumulate the hormone phytochrome at the plant meristems,it can't,not till around 4 weeks,although you can grow plants in 12/12 from seedling without a veg stage as I am in my second grow journal.

A seedling in 12/12 has to have so many days at 12/12 before it actually starts to flower properly,otherwise you'd end up with flowering seedlings and not flowering veg plants.

Obviously this doesnt apply to clones and I don't believe growing on 12/12 throughout a plants life is particularly stressful,compared with a light leak it's nothing and a plant grown in 12/12 from seedling is merely a stimulus to flower just as soon as a plant is able to do so,it doesnt obstruct or hamper the growth of the plant,quite the opposite in that it gives a plant a chance to mature asap and this is to a plants evolutionary and genetic advantage.

Also,many equatorial sativa's start on light cycles of 12-13 hours,so again,genes in sativas have been grown in such conditions so I don't consider them particularly stressful?

Has anybody grown in 12/12 and had undesired outcomes?

im sorry, im having a hard time understanding your point here.

Of course a seedling will take a while to show sex when flowering, but it has no bearing on hermie behavior.

Light leaks will lead to hermies, its how they respond to an otherwise non-integral photoperiod.

A true XX female is incapable of hermaphroditic growth.
Unfortunately, backyard breeding, femmed seeds and other factors have introduced this into the mainstream plant.

You are correct about sativas, they have a different light schedule than indicas, but with so many hybrids its impossible to know the true genetic characteristics of a modern plant, let alone its offspring.

Sorry Rockster, should have been more clear. You can introduce a plant of any age to a 12/12 light cycle without the threat of producing a hermie from the plant. But the plant will only begin to flower once it is sexually mature.

THIS QUESTION GOT ME THINKIN OF SOMETHIN ELSE. IF WHEN I SWITCH MINE INTO FLOWER AND WHEN LITES ARE OFF AND IT COMPLETE DARKNESS. WOULD INFRARED LIGHT FROM led'S AFFECT THEM ANY.
IM WONDERIN CUZ I GOT CLOSED CIRCUIT CAMERS IN MY GROWBOX TO WATCH OVER THEM WITHOUT HAVING TO DISRUPT THEM. AND THE INFRARED LIGHT WOULD ALOW THE CAM TO VIEW WITH INVISIBLE LIGHT. BUT WILL THE INFRA RED SPECTRUM AFFECT THEM ANY?

zipflip said:
THIS QUESTION GOT ME THINKIN OF SOMETHIN ELSE. IF WHEN I SWITCH MINE INTO FLOWER AND WHEN LITES ARE OFF AND IT COMPLETE DARKNESS. WOULD INFRARED LIGHT FROM led'S AFFECT THEM ANY.
IM WONDERIN CUZ I GOT CLOSED CIRCUIT CAMERS IN MY GROWBOX TO WATCH OVER THEM WITHOUT HAVING TO DISRUPT THEM. AND THE INFRARED LIGHT WOULD ALOW THE CAM TO VIEW WITH INVISIBLE LIGHT. BUT WILL THE INFRA RED SPECTRUM AFFECT THEM ANY?

Two things here--first of all, closed circuit cams in your grow room is not a good idea. Second, IMO, any light in the grow space during dark time is a bad idea.

:D Did you know your caps lock was accidentally locked on?

Wow.
Ok, so I agree any light is bad light, with one exception, green light. As the plant is green, it does not absorb light of that spectrum therefore does not harm the plant or cause it to herm.
Side note, seen and read this, not tried myself. IMO, dark time is dark time, period.
Any type of camera or device that can photograph or record anything in your grow area is down right.... not a good idea. I would greatly advise against that.
Rockster, awesome post.
In my experience, putting a plant into 12/12, regardless of age, does not stress, or herm a plant.

alright I'll bite, what is bad about having a recording device or closed circuit camera in your box?

if the cops see it, they WILL find where you hide the backups. if it is remote, they can find you(maybe).

my tower fan has a green led light on it, i dont even chance it, its covered in aluminum tape so when the lights are off, its pitch black.

i learned the hardway about light leaks, and guess what, only the plants that were in the direct light leaks sprouted pollen sacs, hmmm.... i wonder why.

Latest posts

Back