Dying for som good purp what's your fav?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Dog

femme fatale proud grower
Reaction score
I am going to get some good purple. I craving it. So I figured I'd ask around. What's your fav purple smoke? This is for smoking not growing purposes thanks friends ! :smoke1: :peace:

grand daddy is mine at the moment, but i haven't gotten my hands on as many purples as i'd like to have. plenty of diesel around my area. not surprising though considering i'm 2 hrs from nyc.

I like grand pappy usually...not a deisel fan myself. I like true indicas looking for a sedated affect. I use it for insomnia among other things. Taste is a biggie!

Ya know, I grow my share of GDP, and I gotta say, I don't like the smoke personally. I know, alot of folks think I am crazy, but I just don't like the taste.
Most of the "fruity" herbs (OK, all the fruity herbs), are just not to my liking.

you want sedated 2dog, grab some Sky OG, that will set you down.

Most everyone I know loves the purp, and it is prob one of the most fav strains around my parts. Blah.

I am smokin' on a purp strain, but it tastes nothing like gdp or erkle. Girl Scout Cookies. Love that taste, very "earthy". Crazy purple look. Does that count?

I like the purple Kush taste..the purple taste. A lot of blah lately. Poe call everything og here dude...wish I was growing my own. Not in this house at this time though. I can't get the same quality buying as we all know growers keep the best and sell the rest. Got some awesome wax though...they do that pretty well here. I never wanted to make it. Maybe I'm just uninspired or bored with my recent bags. I am sure being here with all your bomb buds doesn't help with that but I enjoy the company too much lol! Hard to find skunk here...lol I like that taste....bizarre.
Girl Scout cookies are nice had some bomb cherry pie but it wasn't sticky stinky awesome like my old pk. Maybe I'm too picky.

But of course, Purple Kush. Granddaddy Purple, Purple Urkle, Grape Ape, Mystery Purple Skunk Indica that I got from the grower in Heaven, and this bud I got yesterday called Purple Hash. Were I to run a dispensary I would stock predominantly purple indicas.

i dont wanna knock purples in any way, cause i like them. though, i feel like a lot of the popularity of purple strains comes from the simple fact that they look amazing, more so then their potency or even taste. potheads tend to be distracted by pretty purple colors

ShOrTbUs said:
i dont wanna knock purples in any way, cause i like them. though, i feel like a lot of the popularity of purple strains comes from the simple fact that they look amazing, more so then their potency or even taste. potheads tend to be distracted by pretty purple colors

Not in this case honey. I have been smoking many many years, the color isn't as important as the smoke and taste for me. When I grew my purples were still my favorite. The purple skunk sounds like the winner if I can find it...

HIya 2dog & Everyone~!:ciao:

Nice to seeya... :)

In the last five years I've grown about a dozen or so clone only purple strains such as Ken's GDP, Gorilla Grape, Las Vegas Purple Kush, TGA Deep Purple, Urkel, Purple Diesel & Purple Kush SR71 and quite a few I can't remember now.:joint::p All the purps I ran weren't crap but many were kinda of so so in the buzz dept for me and there are the only two I've kept around.

After trying all of those my list of fave purps is pretty short: Purple Diesel is my #1 and PK SR71 is a pretty close 2nd. Purple Diesel isn't a big yielder but the small to medium sized nugs are tight, gooey and tasty. She has an amazing aroma while flowering that reminds me of red wine. The taste of PD is fairly hashy with some subtle grape overtones.:beatnik: The high is very deep and relaxing and this purp is on par with any of my other strains. This is my most 'true' purple strain with calyxes that grow purple from the get go and purple trichomes.:hubba: Purple Diesel also has a nice Indica dominant structure and is a breeze to grow.

Purple Kush SR71 has been one of my faves for a few years. I grew it several runs several years ago and loved it but managed to screw the pooch and lose her.:eek: Recently a pal of mine got ahold of her again and passed her along to me and I'm very glad to have this strain back. She's another indica leaning strain with slightly below average stretch and a solid structure that requires minimal staking. The plant below had one stake to steady the plant and keep the mainstem from snapping but I removed it to take the pics before harvest.
SR71 has medium sized nugs and is very grape/fruity tasting with a nice strong and relaxing buzz.

Here are some pics of PD and SR71... The nug shots of the PD were taken by a pal of mine but its the same pheno as mine.:D

Peace~!:bong:

purpd1.jpg

PurpleD_1.jpg

PurpleD_2.jpg

PurpleDieselHarvest_1.jpg

PurpleDieselHarvest_5.jpg

PKsr71_1.jpg

PKsr71_5.jpg

PKsr71_4.jpg

PKsr71_3.jpg

PKsr71_2.jpg

I've had good luck with Sandstorm and blackwater.

I have yet to smoke a Purp that was actual straight fire....smoked some okay ones but none that smoked like a brick to the head. jmo

dirtyolsouth said:
HIya 2dog & Everyone~!:ciao:

Nice to seeya... :)

In the last five years I've grown about a dozen or so clone only purple strains such as Ken's GDP, Gorilla Grape, Las Vegas Purple Kush, TGA Deep Purple, Urkel, Purple Diesel & Purple Kush SR71 and quite a few I can't remember now.:joint::p All the purps I ran weren't crap but many were kinda of so so in the buzz dept for me and there are the only two I've kept around.

After trying all of those my list of fave purps is pretty short: Purple Diesel is my #1 and PK SR71 is a pretty close 2nd. Purple Diesel isn't a big yielder but the small to medium sized nugs are tight, gooey and tasty. She has an amazing aroma while flowering that reminds me of red wine. The taste of PD is fairly hashy with some subtle grape overtones.:beatnik: The high is very deep and relaxing and this purp is on par with any of my other strains. This is my most 'true' purple strain with calyxes that grow purple from the get go and purple trichomes.:hubba: Purple Diesel also has a nice Indica dominant structure and is a breeze to grow.

Purple Kush SR71 has been one of my faves for a few years. I grew it several runs several years ago and loved it but managed to screw the pooch and lose her.:eek: Recently a pal of mine got ahold of her again and passed her along to me and I'm very glad to have this strain back. She's another indica leaning strain with slightly below average stretch and a solid structure that requires minimal staking. The plant below had one stake to steady the plant and keep the mainstem from snapping but I removed it to take the pics before harvest.
SR71 has medium sized nugs and is very grape/fruity tasting with a nice strong and relaxing buzz.

Here are some pics of PD and SR71... The nug shots of the PD were taken by a pal of mine but its the same pheno as mine.:D

Peace~!:bong:

I'm drooling on the screen.....:icon_smile:

jmansweed said:
I've had good luck with Sandstorm and blackwater.
Got any pics of the Blackwater? I am trying to pick strains for my next grow, and Blackwater is high on the list. Here is what I have on hand to try next year.
Blackwater
Chem 91
Ogiesel
Viper Indica
Larry OG
I also have some other strains, that might make the mix
Cindy 99
Buddahs on Moonshine
Jacked Up Aliens
But I am really interested in Blackwater, how many different phenos, were they heavy feeders, and a smoke report would be awesome.
Thanks
HomieHogleg

Nobody mentioned Purple Haze? :shrug:

Here's a pic of some Purple Haze I had. I would post my GDP pic but it's been linked already so they won't let me :)

Purple Haze Ellis SmallRES.jpg

In terms of color, The Blackwater was a bit inconsistent compared to the Sandstorm and my experiences with GDP. Out of 18 fem seeds I had about half displayed the purple color, and then only a few that were fully purp. Those few however, were not as potent as the greener phenos. None were outrageously potent but some did have solid combinations of flavors. A fuely, earthy flavored kush coupled with the typical fragrance of a purple. I went with a pheno about 50% purp. I flowered 2 cycles under twin 600s - 12 plants each cycle. Production was moderate - in the 0.65 gpw range. I did not find it to be a heavy feeder, no more than average at least. Generally speaking, if your looking for a purple strain, Blackwater is a solid investment imo, and I've often thought of giving it another run. Honestly, I'm still looking for more Sandstorm (I had really nice purple phenos from this stain, but again lacked heavy potency) and really want some straight Soma Lavender to search through.

All that being said however, I tend to be with the majority when it comes to purple herb, it can be difficult to find a heavy hitter. Out of the strains you listed, I'm bias for Chem 91 - hands down I would start those. Larry OG is another favorite of mine, your entire list is solid.......

No pics on hand, sorry....

jmansweed said:
In terms of color, The Blackwater was a bit inconsistent compared to the Sandstorm and my experiences with GDP. Out of 18 fem seeds I had about half displayed the purple color, and then only a few that were fully purp. Those few however, were not as potent as the greener phenos. None were outrageously potent but some did have solid combinations of flavors. A fuely, earthy flavored kush coupled with the typical fragrance of a purple. I went with a pheno about 50% purp. I flowered 2 cycles under twin 600s - 12 plants each cycle. Production was moderate - in the 0.65 gpw range. I did not find it to be a heavy feeder, no more than average at least. Generally speaking, if your looking for a purple strain, Blackwater is a solid investment imo, and I've often thought of giving it another run. Honestly, I'm still looking for more Sandstorm (I had really nice purple phenos from this stain, but again lacked heavy potency) and really want some straight Soma Lavender to search through.

All that being said however, I tend to be with the majority when it comes to purple herb, it can be difficult to find a heavy hitter. Out of the strains you listed, I'm bias for Chem 91 - hands down I would start those. Larry OG is another favorite of mine, your entire list is solid.......

No pics on hand, sorry....
Thanks,
I have been running Larry, for a couple of years, and am looking for a change of pace. I was lucky, that a friend had my Larry mother, when I got busted last summer, as I lost all of my seeds. That list, are the strains I have picked up since the bust. I am too paranoid to grow at home, since the bust, but am now growing with a partner. Luckily I had taken down my growroom, before I was busted at my outdoor grow, or I would not have gotten out of it. When they searched my house, they couldn't prove that I had been growing indoors, even with the seeds and equipment, there was no operational grow. I now keep nothing related to growing, in my home.

I will probably run the Chem 91, and the Viper, to start, and work other strains in, as I find keeper mothers, for those two. I am hoping to work in the Blackwater, at some point, since I have never grown a purple strain.
Thanks
HomieHogleg

EllisD said:
Nobody mentioned Purple Haze? :shrug:

Here's a pic of some Purple Haze I had. I would post my GDP pic but it's been linked already so they won't let me :)

It's because hazes tend to be heavy sativa and I'm looking for indica. Not a huge haze fan, hate growing them lol.

Ohhh... good call 2Dog :)

I don't usually like Sativa either.. but don't mind a Haze. Also, obviously, never grown them yet. Starting first grow very soon though.. Pineapple Chunk. :)

Sorry not hi-jacking thread, carry on! (check March POTM for a pic of my GDP.. that was a nice purple.)

Latest posts

Back