ebb and flood table

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flutefixer

Reaction score
I am in the process of setting up a 3 by 6 table with a 1000 watt light, how many plants can I hope to get in my table and is 1000 watts enough?

i'm completely new to this, but the guy at the hydro store was very helpful. He suggested 400 watt bulb for 12 plants in a 4' x 4' area.

A 3' x 6' is about 2 square feet more space than the 4' x 4' so based on 12 plants for 4' x 4' I'd say you could probably put 15 plants in that space. I would say that 1000 watt would be sufficient, but it also depends on how tall the space is you have. you might be better off with 2, 400 watt bulbs.

again, i'm no expert, this is me being logical based on what the guy told me at the store.

flutefixer, the number of plants depends entirely on how large you're going to expect them to get.

If you're going to flower them with very little vegetative growth, then they take much less space then if they are vegged until 24 inches tall and then flowered.

The strain makes a lot of difference also. Some Indicas take up a hell of a lot of room.

The light equation is simple.

It's 5,000 lumens per/square foot of canopy area.

That doesn't change.

If you expect to cover just your table with the plant canopy, then you'll have a plant canopy of 3 feet by 6 feet, or 18 square feet. Then you multiply 18 times 5,000 lumens.

A 600 watt light would provide enough light to have a great harvest and it would help you keep the heat levels down.

If you want to go larger, I would suggest two 400's before using a 1000.

You'd get better distribution of your light and would be able to keep the lights closer to your plants.

I would agree with stoneybud. With a 6 foot long table you would be much better off with 2 400's or 2 600's. IMO equal light distribution is very very important in order to achieve desired results. Also the heat that comes off of a 600 is much less than a 1000 watter.

My pre veg room is 2ft by 7ft with 3 125 cfls and i fit 25 plants in the big grodan cubes in that space. But they dont stay there for long as they quickly grow into each other. Even with only 30,000 lumens my plants grow like crazy.. the light distribution is key.

With such a small space i would recommend you put them into flowering earlier than later due to your size restricition. 15 plants are going to get SUPER cramped in a space the size if you veg to long. i would reccomend the "scrog" method for your situation.

One thing i have learned is that there is no 1 easy fix, no 1 sure fire way to get a good crop. Every single detail has to be checked and doubled checked. Never cut corners. light distribution, lumens, training, ph, temps EVERY little thing counts in the end.

I wish you the best of luck, ebb and flow is a good start

sorry forgot to mention that my flower room has 3 600's for a 10x8x8

flutefixer said:
I am in the process of setting up a 3 by 6 table with a 1000 watt light, how many plants can I hope to get in my table and is 1000 watts enough?
When I did E&F I did 2 per sq. ft. and flowered at 6-8 inches. Most of them were around 20" and solid cola practically covering entire stem. I also believe 1000 may cause unnecessary issues and I would go with 2-400's as mentioned above. There are many different methods that could be successful with E&F, I would recommend studying up on them all and then take that info to come up with one that suits your needs.
Good Luck and your in for some fun with E&F, getting ready to go back to it myself:hubba:

thanks to all for the input,the main reason for the 1000 watt light is I allready have a couple of them, I am "goin hydro" after being a dirt farmer for a couple of years.The room is small 9 by 12, which is why I choose to go with a 3 by 6 table,with the clones, veg and flowereing all in the same area, of course the areas are light tight and all have there own ventilation,I really want to maximize the available space for flowering(about 8 by 9 max), my prior post was my 1st ever here and since the input was so Knowlegable I thought I would disclose some of the details about the set up and what I am doing(or attempting to do) I have not purchased the table yet I have purchased a 110 gal livestock watering tank which measures 3 feet wide by 2 1/2 tall by 4 1/2 long. economics are a consideration how ever I am very interested in hearing other ides for set ups for flowering, ie drip vs E&F, Regarding the idea of choosing strains to fit my needs well in my part of the country we pretty much take what we can get, the talk of clones is non existant and the only seeds typically are the ones from comercial weed, however in the past few years I have managed to have a few very decent harvest, Im hopping the hydro system will produce better results. I do appreciate the input.

flutefixer said:
thanks to all for the input,the main reason for the 1000 watt light is I allready have a couple of them, I am "goin hydro" after being a dirt farmer for a couple of years.The room is small 9 by 12, which is why I choose to go with a 3 by 6 table,with the clones, veg and flowereing all in the same area, of course the areas are light tight and all have there own ventilation,I really want to maximize the available space for flowering(about 8 by 9 max), my prior post was my 1st ever here and since the input was so Knowlegable I thought I would disclose some of the details about the set up and what I am doing(or attempting to do) I have not purchased the table yet I have purchased a 110 gal livestock watering tank which measures 3 feet wide by 2 1/2 tall by 4 1/2 long. economics are a consideration how ever I am very interested in hearing other ides for set ups for flowering, ie drip vs E&F, Regarding the idea of choosing strains to fit my needs well in my part of the country we pretty much take what we can get, the talk of clones is non existant and the only seeds typically are the ones from comercial weed, however in the past few years I have managed to have a few very decent harvest, Im hopping the hydro system will produce better results. I do appreciate the input.

I think your 110 gallon resevior is way overkill i have 18 monster girls in a big room and i only use a 55 gallon drum.

Are you running a sog method? if you are you might want to keep in consideration that your clones and mothers will want different levels of nutes at different times. This will prove impossible with 1 main resevior for all, Especially if you plan to use the same resevior for flowering.

Example

I use 3 seperate ebb systems to keep a "sog" system full steam ahead

1. 30 gallon rubbermaid bucket with a tray sitting on top for my 2 mothers

2. 30 gallon rubbermaid bucket with a tray sitting on top for my clones

3. 55 gallon drum for my flower room

my mothers and clones share the same closet and the flowering room is the actual room.. works out great.

Also the internet is a beautiful thing, look into shipping some beans. I got mine in less than a week from attitude. Just don't ship em were your growin.. big NO NO

I have in mind a system that you have, yes I am running 3 different res`s, I am slightly impatient, and thought the 11o gal my be overkill. I can always use it somewhere else and get a res that better fits, the online bean thing is weird, do you live in the U.S? yes I plan on doing the SOG again. did it before with dirt and it worked well, my rooms seam to always be temporary, due to life, and am always looking to try a new way, always looking for better results! very exicted about the E&F system

Yes i do live in the US and had no problems what so ever.

The reason i say your resevior is overkill is becuase you are going to have to put a **** ton of nutes and PH adjusters to get 110 gallons of optimal water.

Hopefully you wont have to do frequent water changes. If your using rockwool and or hydroton than you will most certainly have to do plenty water changes and that could get super expensive, just a thought.

Also check your PH at least twice a week, trust me with rockwool your PH climbes regularly. It will cause you so much ** it's not funny. PH is SOOOOO important with hydro, i think this may be the number 1 culprit for failed gardens!

Hey Highman, I keep my reservoir size down to avoid ever having to change out my nutrient solution. Every other evening, I add fresh nutrient that is in an amount equal to 1/8th of the total volume. In 16 days, I've swapped out the entire volume with having never thrown any out.

This has worked for me for a little more than 25 years of using ebb and flow.

I hate throwing out something. By doing it this way, I've cut work and costs down.

StoneyBud said:
Hey Highman, I keep my reservoir size down to avoid ever having to change out my nutrient solution. Every other evening, I add fresh nutrient that is in an amount equal to 1/8th of the total volume. In 16 days, I've swapped out the entire volume with having never thrown any out.

This has worked for me for a little more than 25 years of using ebb and flow.

I hate throwing out something. By doing it this way, I've cut work and costs down.

sounds like a good idea to me stoneybud ay have to consider this inthe winter! I use my extra nutes to help around the garden and yard.. the nieghbors can never figure out why my grass is so much greener than everyone elses :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

highman said:
sounds like a good idea to me stoneybud ay have to consider this inthe winter! I use my extra nutes to help around the garden and yard.. the nieghbors can never figure out why my grass is so much greener than everyone elses :giggle:
I used to spray mine on my garden. I understand! Now I mix seperate batches for the garden veggies.

Hot peppers rule !!!!

StoneyBud said:
I used to spray mine on my garden. I understand! Now I mix seperate batches for the garden veggies.

Hot peppers rule !!!!
No joke.I have 2 pepper plants in 3x3 ebb-n-flo.Right now 1000 ppm 5.68.
These puppies will make you cry!

tried peppers once myself and my dam lab destroyed them before they flowered.. have my tomatoes in a fenced area this go-round. Stupid vegitarian dog if he had 5 minutes with my girls i would faint

thanks again to everyone who chirped in! it is nice to feal some soladarity,I certainely have enough info now to get me started and also a bit of confirmation that I am going in the right direction, as the room progress`s I will keep you informed, even take some pics.I am planning on having it set up in a couple of weeks.Thanks again. Flutefixer

Latest posts

Back