few q's on my grow closet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonkey27

Reaction score
ok. so im gonna start a new grow room in my bedroom closet.
Im breaking it up into 2 different sections.
one for my flowering and the other for my veg.
My veg chamber is 3' wide 2' deep and 3' 6" tall
my flowering is 3' 6" wide 2' deep and 5' 6" tall
I thought id use a 250w MH for the veg.
and a 250w Hps for the Flowering.
since its in my closet im going to have a carbon filter on the exhaust fan.
I think ill connect the two chambers with ducting and make sure its at an angle so no light gets through.

Q's
1) are those cabinets a good size
2) will 250w be enough for each, 400 sounds like a little bit too much
3) how many cfm does my exhaust fan need

what ya think?

sounds good. I would go with a 400 hps in the grow side, you have the hieght, so yu can just back the lights off if there is a heat problem. The greater yields you will recieve from the 400w will astound you.
so 250 mh for veg and 400w hps for flower. btw i am a huge fan of the cooltube, u can attach many cooltube to each other and put a kickass 6' exhaust fan on the end and it rapidly cools the lamp allowing you to get your plants as close as 4 inchs without any burns (truly a great design)
as far as the fan i would stay away from inline duct fans (their week) i am an huge advocate of econ plus fan(they are lower price than vortec or can fan )but the quality is still great.here a link to buy .they are also speed controlable. so go big. an use a speed controll i would think 1 400 cfm with ducted creatively would suffice, use it to **** air throug your lights as well as your carbon filter and out.
btw the cabinet six is perfect.

Sounds like this is your first grow. Its my first grow too and I use a setup somewhat similar to what you use. My width is a little smaller and i dont use a veg chamber but other than that it is very similar. Based on the size space you have, I would advise to just focus on having one chamber for now...use it for veg and flower. Unless money is truely no object, thats my opinion. Im sure some of the very experienced growers in here could setup a system that works really well in that size space, but it requires a lot of knowledge and a lot of money. Im sure "the cool tube" is great, but its also $270 dollars(im sure you can find it cheaper but probably not by much). Why not go to www.htgsupply.com and buy one of their 400w HPS systems for $119.95 BRAND NEW. You can even go to the DIY forum like i did and look at the sticky on how to wire your HPS to where you can switch it to use MH(the switch is like $6 at home depot), i did that...voila HPS/MH light for roughly $125 and about 1 hr of your time. or you can buy a switchable system for less than $270. I just simply dont think you'll be able to fit 2 lights, an exhaust fan, 2 adequate circulation fans, proper wiring, proper ducting AND your plants in a space that small. Im not trying to sound discouraging, I went through the same dilemma about 2 months ago and just quickly came to realize that all of that stuff takes up space and ducting can be an issue(unless you are fortunate enough to have a duct running through your closet). I just think for a lot less money you can have better results with alot less headache. setting up a system that complex for your first grow would probably get pretty frustrating(as getting proper ducting/ventilation and light sealing arent so easy in the beginning). So i would go with just a single veg/flower chamber, a 400w hps, and a good strong fan...I use a 6" vortec with a thermostat switch and it works really well(also keep in mind that these fans are quiet, but the air they move isnt so quiet....no way around that). In the space you described you can put several plants and have a higher yield in the end(you cant veg and flower at the same time, but again...less aparatus=more room for plants=higher yield)...one 400w mh/hps should produce mind blowing results. If you want any other opinions feel free to PM me and I would be glad to discuss it with you. THen again, someone else in here may have a better idea....just my 2 cents

hey, thxs for the advice guys. Money right now really isnt an object for me. so i can buy whatever the hell i want. Ill look into one of those cooltubes. theres a great hydro store near by my home, and im going to pay for everything with cash. as for having two different chambers. I thought that it could be like a mini SOG. I have a couple of mother plants already in veg that a friend gave me. so while my plants are flowering I thought I could have the next batch growing in the veg chamber. so then I could get a yield around every two months.
... hows that sound?

funkymonkey27 said:
hey, thxs for the advice guys. Money right now really isnt an object for me. so i can buy whatever the hell i want. Ill look into one of those cooltubes. theres a great hydro store near by my home, and im going to pay for everything with cash. as for having two different chambers. I thought that it could be like a mini SOG. I have a couple of mother plants already in veg that a friend gave me. so while my plants are flowering I thought I could have the next batch growing in the veg chamber. so then I could get a yield around every two months.
... hows that sound?

Sounds like a good plan!! a good plan is a good start to any grow.

oh, shoot thats right. I hadnt thought of that.
I cant have ducting going across the room to the window.
the only reason i would need to vent that is because of heat. right?
what if i put a small air conditioner in the closet also above the cabinets where the exhaust fan would be. think that would work? or should I forget about my closet idea?:(

Heat is one reason for air circulation but they need to have air circulated to grow, ventilation is necessary for weed to grow, it must have fresh air circulation....most good grow setups have intake and exhaust ducting of SOME SORT. air conditioners produce heat, its just that when intake is on one side of a window(or wall) and exhaust is on the side you wish to cool, it keeps the cool on oneside, the heat on the other. So unless you have a way to cut a hole in the what to keep it seperate, it will produce nearly as much heat as it does cool air, and that is just circulating air really, no fresh air. some people cut holes in walls to get to ducts, some people cut holes in doors to produce an intake and exhaust. however unless you own the property or can fix it readily, its not really plausible to do that. If theres no subtle way to get fresh cooler air in, and warmer stale air out, i would look into building a grow cabinet. They can be done pretty easily(compared to the setup you were talking about). You still have to have intake and exhaust but this way you can place it near a good place to do your exhausting. Another possibility is using high output floro's....ones that hydro supply places sell. While not producing the same lumens of a HPS they can be suitable for smaller grows. They produce less heat, so your ventilation would be more for fresh air than for cooling the room(i.e. you wouldnt need a huge exhaust fan). I would check out this guys grow cab build and see if it looks appealing to you. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3260

Latest posts

Back