First Grow Journal~ AK-47 and BC's Sweet-Dreams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read it several times now and always see something I missed...or forgot lol! Great info!

:D Been a few days since last I updated my journal so I thought I might take a few pics and show progress thus far.

It has been 21 days today since I put my seeds into jiffy-pucks and a few days shy of that for sprouts above ground and under T5's. The pots are filled with an organic soil mix that they seem to love. ;) I watered them in when I transplanted them into dirt, allowed them to get completely dry and did a complete watering a few days ago and they're still good there (2 waterings with reverse osmosis water + 2.5 mil Cal./Mag/Gal./ Ph'd to 6.0 b/c my soil tested too high in PH @ 7.5+) Ummmmm... maybe that's why some of my leaves were weird looking?

Question 1: When shall I feed them their first feeding of nutes @ prolly 1/4 - 1/8(?) strength of BotanicCare Pure Pro-Grow?:confused2:

I am already thinking about the next batch of soil to make and have ready, and the next size containers in which they should be transplanted (currently they are in No. 1 size containers... whatever those are...) The bigger the better I know, however, I don't know exactly HOW MUCH bigger?

Question 2: Should I just go for 5 gallon and be done with it for a while?:confused2:

My new tent is on it's way, I have a tracking number and everything. :holysheep:I just went for it b/c I wanted to be sure and have plenny of room just in case. Tent size is approx, 4'W x 8'L x 6'7" H. On order are 2 lights from htg, a 400W-MH/HPS & a 600W-MH/HPS Digital/Dimmable/Electronic-Remote Ballasts.

According to some articles and info. there are ways to (try to) increase the likelihood of producing more females by altering things such as temperatures, moisture, humidity, macro-nutrient manipulation, and photo-period, after third set of true leaves appear. For the past few days I have been introducing a 14/7 photo period, have increased humidity, decreasing temp and am attempting to increase nitrogen and decrease potassium in minimally incremental amounts.

Time will tell.

S7300206-1.JPGS7300207-1.JPGS7300209-1.JPGS7300211-1.JPGS7300215.JPGS7300219-1.JPG

S7300210-1.JPG This was the baby that was sick.

My my my they sure have grown since the last time I was here.... Looking very good man green mojo 4 u! I threw mine into bud now I just posted pics like two days ago gunna take some more today, good ol' jack herer

Hi MYMY,
That is what I do, 5 gallon pots as soon as possible. They look lovely. I don't fert till the plant shows it needs it. Usually right before flipping to flower.

Keep up the good work.

I dont know if i'd feed them any time soon though.... I have four seedlings, well now they r gettin older obviously but anyways i fed them when they were like two n a half weeks above soil and they are stillSICK. Im not to happy but hey trials and tribulations, I knew I shouldnt have fed them and now I really kno lol

rotten_socks420 said:
My my my they sure have grown since the last time I was here.... Looking very good man green mojo 4 u! I threw mine into bud now I just posted pics like two days ago gunna take some more today, good ol' jack herer
Much thanks for stoppin by & having a look, my brother... I appreciate the kind words and GREEN MOJO! :hubba: I'm gonna figure out where all ur pics and gj are and follow along too!

Rosebud said:
Hi MYMY,
That is what I do, 5 gallon pots as soon as possible. They look lovely. I don't fert till the plant shows it needs it. Usually right before flipping to flower.

Keep up the good work.
Mahalo nui Rosebud... Yeah I think I'll just go for the larger containers next time so I do not have to re-pot them so much.

Question: So they will have enough nutes from the soil to last a while? I'm looking for something to read about "signs and symptoms" that show WHEN or WHAT to look for when they need feeding. Or will it be obvious? :hubba: LOL I know they are a long way from flowering, and that's cool. I've been really enjoying my new hobby :watchplant:

rotten_socks420 said:
I dont know if i'd feed them any time soon though.... I have four seedlings, well now they r gettin older obviously but anyways i fed them when they were like two n a half weeks above soil and they are still ****** . Im not to happy but hey trials and tribulations, I knew I shouldnt have fed them and now I really kno lol
Awwwww... Rotten. sry to hear about ur lil ones, I know I'd be wrecked brother. But I know you can pull them through and get them healthy again! I have some organic nutes Pure Pro Veg/Grow, and will wait a lil while longer until I feed...

Thank you for reminding me to exercise patients... that is a hard one for me, js!

smokingjoe said:
Puasurfs, I'm speechless, they are beautiful!
Mahalo SJ!! I appreciate it. I think they're kinda beautiful too! ;)

They really look good. Good job so far.

Good luck with the female ratio but you can count to 50-50. Regarding the feeding i think you can start feeding them. Start with the minimal or buy a PPM meter to check out the nutrient level.

bho_expertz said:
They really look good. Good job so far.

Good luck with the female ratio but you can count to 50-50. Regarding the feeding i think you can start feeding them. Start with the minimal or buy a PPM meter to check out the nutrient level.
Thanks so much for the info and the compliment on my beautiful babies. You know, you're prolly just right about that ratio thang and I should just switch them back to 24/7. I thought it might be worth a try just to see if perhaps it just might work... LOL

PPM Meter is pretty close to the top of the list for my next purchase(s)... the list seems to go on and on tho! LOl

So this guy tells me I need to cut the tops off of my plants between the 3rd and 4th nodes so I can get a more bushy plant and perhaps more bud sights :eek:. I have read a couple of things about it and the consensus seems to be divided btwn to do it and to not do it at all.

I checked out that FIM method and the "pinch" method that is used that also reseals the stem. Man I hate the thought of pinching them back or even cutting them back a lil. :ignore: Can't wait to see the first time I take a clone.

Question: Do most ppl prune? Or cut the tops back? Should I be checking into reading about LST and HST?

I know that the AK-47 is a hybrid (their words) and so may not be as tall as a pure Sativa, however, they can still get pretty lengthy. js. Sweet Dreams is an Indica and stays pretty short from what I gather.

Man... I need to read a bunch more today.

My babies @ 21 days old already have between 5 and 7 sets of true leaves, if that helps in the understanding at all.

I'm going to top them @ 4th or 5th node. But this depends ... How long do you veg, your grow area, the strain, etc.
You can control the height in veg but not in flower. So don't forget that because usually they stretch like 2/3 the size they were before flower. But the real secret is to find what is better for your skills. Start doing the simple things in the first grows and make your opinion/upgrade your skills in the followings.
I'm not that experienced either :doh:

The ones I top, I take the tops and dip them in rooting agent and then pop them in the soil. IF they come up, a free clone, if not, no biggie at all! I did this with 5 and 2 have popped back up and are growing now!

I am experimenting at this point to determine how I do things in the future, so I've topped, tied and pinched....

puasurfs, It's hard to believe I'm offering my .02 when you so clearly have been adept to date at producing such wonderful plants, however here goes.

I have never tried fimming but understand it can produce some remarkable branching.

Perhaps the biggest issue with topping your plant is the introduction of pathogens to the wound site and potential rot, however if your utensils are clean and you have some chlorinated water you can spray on the cut sites daily you should have no infection issues. A mild h2o2 solution will surely kill anything without any impact on your plants. That said I have cut hundreds of plants including sativa and indica strains and never had an issue. The aim is to produce greater branching, which will deliver greater nodes and in turn greater bud sites.

If you do end up taking the tops off, clone them as Roddy has suggested and get that process dialled in, which in reality isn't that complex.

Personally I would top at the 4th to 6th node to induce greater branching.

Your plants might put their ugly face on for a little while, but always bounce back without any dramas. They are a weed after all and one of the hardiest plants you can grow.

bho_expertz said:
I'm going to top them @ 4th or 5th node. But this depends ... How long do you veg, your grow area, the strain, etc.
You can control the height in veg but not in flower. So don't forget that because usually they stretch like 2/3 the size they were before flower. But the real secret is to find what is better for your skills. Start doing the simple things in the first grows and make your opinion/upgrade your skills in the followings.
I'm not that experienced either :doh:
TY so much for the info bro~ I appreciate you takin a sec to help a sista' out! LOL lawd knows I need the help!:holysheep:

Laughs @ "my skills", b/c I have so few right now... I don't have all the details worked out (veg-time, etc. I've been looking for Strain info and know that the AK will most def get much taller than the SD), I am studying as I go tho. So what ur saying is that you just clip then in between the 3rd and 4th node @ a 45 degree angle, and this makes them bush out more with more bud sights? Can you tell me what the downside is to doing it (besides doing it wrong of course), hormone changes, etc., and the advantages as you know them?

I am planning on having two 600W areas set up (in the same tent) esp. b/c of the height differences btwn the two.

Roddy said:
The ones I top, I take the tops and dip them in rooting agent and then pop them in the soil. IF they come up, a free clone, if not, no biggie at all! I did this with 5 and 2 have popped back up and are growing now!

I am experimenting at this point to determine how I do things in the future, so I've topped, tied and pinched....
:D TY Roddy, that's an excellent idea and a good way to PRACTICE taking clippings/clones. Waiting on my new tent to arrive tomorrow so I have more room for them! Jorges book says that some ppl prune and some ppl do not, geeezzzzzzzzz... I was hoping to not only b/c I am sure I will stress them and prolly kill a few in the process... I'm a wuss, I know! LOL I see why ppl like those low ryders now.. LOL

smokingjoe said:
puasurfs, It's hard to believe I'm offering my .02 when you so clearly have been adept to date at producing such wonderful plants, however here goes.

I have never tried fimming but understand it can produce some remarkable branching.

True that, but they call it "FIM" for ppl like me I think! LOL

smokingjoe said:

That said I have cut hundreds of plants including sativa and indica strains and never had an issue. The aim is to produce greater branching, which will deliver greater nodes and in turn greater bud sites.

If you do end up taking the tops off, clone them as Roddy has suggested and get that process dialled in, which in reality isn't that complex.

Personally I would top at the 4th to 6th node to induce greater branching.

SmokingJ your .02 worth is priceless IMO, and welcomed as well. I will do my very best to keep all the stuff super clean as much as possible (OCD), thank you for reminding me. ;)

Question 1: Should I wait for them to get taller before I clip them so as to have a lil stem for the rooting? Or does it really matter?

Question 2: Is this the same 45 degree angle? And directly in the center btwn the two branch/nodes?

I will read some more before doing anything today except to go get some rooting hormone gel. Fun fun fun... I love this hobby!!! :watchplant:

Thanks for the compliment BTW about my GREEN MOJO prowess... LOL

What I have read today about pruning (since I don't sleep much):

According to this web site: "The upper-most growing tip of an unpruned marijuana plant will always be more potent than the top buds of a pruned plant grown in similar conditions".
hXXp://www.concept420.com/marijuana_pruning_tips.htm[/url]

And according to Jorge's Medical M. Bible, Pg. 52: re: Pinching and Pruning~

"Most growers do not pinch back plants b/c it diminishes the yield of PRIME, dense tops; but it may not affect the overall weight of dried smoke".

Question: Why would you prune stuff to have maybe slightly more yield, possibly, that is LESS potent?

I have been reading for a couple of days about this and still have more to go. I have found as many things FOR pruning as I have AGAINST it. It may be a personal preference? But I am starting to think that MOST ppl do it. The YouTube vids show pruning but every plant is way bigger/taller/more mature...

Jorge says that (re: germination/seedling, and I am paraphrasing from pg. 28.) that @ about 2 - 3 wks. when foliage growth begins to accelerate, that is the beginning of the Veg. stage. Today my plants have been above the ground for 3 weeks.

I'mma wait a lil bit before I do anything but this is what I am doing today, as well as :watchplant: of course... :hubba:

Any links you guys can think of re: pruning, pinching, etc.? Any and all info. shared is appreciated.

Hey, BTW... is there a way I can edit my heading from, "And... we're off..."? Kinda wanna change it.

haha I often wish I could change the title of my GJ also, but I havnt found a way yet. let me know if you do :D

puasurfs said:
SmokingJ your .02 worth is priceless IMO, and welcomed as well. I will do my very best to keep all the stuff super clean as much as possible (OCD), thank you for reminding me. ;)

Question 1: Should I wait for them to get taller before I clip them so as to have a lil stem for the rooting? Or does it really matter?

Question 2: Is this the same 45 degree angle? And directly in the center btwn the two branch/nodes?

I will read some more before doing anything today except to go get some rooting hormone gel. Fun fun fun... I love this hobby!!! :watchplant:

Thanks for the compliment BTW about my GREEN MOJO prowess... LOL

Q1: You could do it now but if you wanted to keep the cut I would let it get a little taller.

Q2: I usually try and cut them off as flat as possible, and use an hobby knife to do so. Nice clean cut from a razor sharp implement.

Sorry to take a little while to respond I have been away.

Ive been having to squeeze and mush the main top stems and bend them to the side without breaking them, it works great actually kinda hopin the more i train it that way the more it will grow that way, dunno tho.

MosesPMG said:
haha I often wish I could change the title of my GJ also, but I havnt found a way yet. let me know if you do :D
:D Hey Brah~

Psst.. Hick left the info for us. Now my gj doesn't have to stand out as completely "uninteresting and NooB-ish".

Latest posts

Back