first outdoor grow, looking for guidance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruufuus

novice ethnobotanist
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have done a few indoor grows, and plan to start another soon, but I have been inspired to give outdoor guerilla groowing a shot. I only plan to do a single plant this summer gor trial purposes and would like some insight to a few questions I have. The first is about growing an autoflowering strain outdoors. I have a critical+auto that I would like to grow outside for my first outdoor grow, but have come acorss some information indicating auto strains are not well suited for outdoor growth, so I would like your opinions on whether or not I have a chance of success with this strain outdoors. The second question I have is about keeping deer from eating my plant, what products or diy techniques work best. I look forward to your info =) thanks in advance!

Stays away from plantin near any coniferous trees friend for sure as soil to acidic. As fur deer well piss to lots round yur area of grow helps in some cases or ifin yual worried bout growin and folk/animal findin it try tree growin be comin in handy for being secret. Stupid folk always seem to keep eyes to ground walkin through bush they never seem to look up while walkin ;)
Good luck with yur new trail yual be tryin to walk have some fun pilgrem be safe.

BWD

I am not worried about the soil as I will be burying a grow bag full of my own mix for the lady to grow in, I don't think I'm ready to climb trees to water plants just yet though =) thanks for your post

ruufuus said:
I am not worried about the soil as I will be burying a grow bag full of my own mix for the lady to grow in, I don't think I'm ready to climb trees to water plants just yet though =) thanks for your post

Yual do well partner! And yup dont be climbin em ifin yual got no needs to round my parts gets to be habit from time to time. Thanks for bein good folk and hope others be settin by yur fire to guide were they can soon enough. Happy trails walkin my friend.

BWD

I always use green chicken wire around them, or inside a thick bush. If I were you Id put out way more than one and scatter them. I never put out less than 20 over a decent size area. two or three per patch. and just like bwd said up in trees is amazing. also ive never had problems with people finding them or deer. just pick a few good spots away from anywhere hunting is permitted.

Autoflowering plants arent very rewarding. If i remember correctly, 4U2sm0ke only harvested 3/4 of an ounce from his best autoflower. I would buy a couple FEM seeds and grow out a regular 12/12 strain.

As far as deer, BWD has it right about peeing on the ground around it. Also, blood meal placed in socks, then soaked in water and hung near your grow works as well. Just be careful not to attract other animals like dogs or racoons, ect.. Cages work well too, and most farm and supply stores carry deer repellant.

Im not a fan of Auto flower as they dont yield very well...I also would recomend ya plant right into the Earth...the plant wont yield as much as it will if its free to rome its roots....I lik to dig my holes 3 times the size of the container...then fill with my soil and plant her in it....she will still feed on my soil for the first month or so...then the roots will find its source...I like the idea of growing in a tree..and have thaught of it a couple times in past...But Im affraid Ill fall out as I would be sitting up ther:watchplant:...Wish ya the best...

take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

4u2sm0ke said:
Im not a fan of Auto flower as they dont yield very well...I also would recomend ya plant right into the Earth...the plant wont yield as much as it will if its free to rome its roots....I lik to dig my holes 3 times the size of the container...then fill with my soil and plant her in it....she will still feed on my soil for the first month or so...then the roots will find its source...I like the idea of growing in a tree..and have thaught of it a couple times in past...But Im affraid Ill fall out as I would be sitting up ther:watchplant:...Wish ya the best...

sounds good in theory, but the soil quality in my parts is ****, all clay and rock. its gonna be a ***** enough of a time to bury my grow bag. ( i literally have to use a pick axe, if that gives you some insight..)

@ Ruffus .. I used to use Dial soap broken up and tossed around and pee on shirt tied to a tree to keep wild life away never had a prob.. i can see how blood or bone meal would work too... I never grew a Auto, so i got no advice there...personaly id stick to reg beans, that just me tho... best of luck with your outside adventure.. :)

@BWD i like the tree grow and you are so right about people always looking down while trail blazing.. i tried a tree grow here didnt work out to well for me we got huge mangos that just create way to much shade.. just different envrioment..

@4u2smOke do you line your holes?? with anything?? i used to line mine with card board to keep other roots from getting into my hole.. the box breaks down eventualy but lasts long to keep other plants from feeding of your home made soil.. just was curious...and yeah the tree grows look sick..

Plenti Aloha
SquidyP

drfting07 said:
4U, does this mean you dont use ferts outdoors

oh I use organic teas outside...I must say..I dont gorilla grow..I grow in my Back yard...My Garden has been worked now for nearly 8 years...amend every fall and turn in lots of poo....Ive found I have no need for ferts other than teas made from organics

@Squidy....Like I said above..I dont have any other roots to enter My garden holes..Im so stoked on this years Garden Im going to start a Grow Log this weekend:D

well i got the bean planted, i filled a 3g grow bag with coco, watered with superthrive water, and buried the bag. i have a question though...i germinated the seed until i saw root popping out then i planted, where i live we have had 70-85 degree days, but temp has been in the low 50's-40's at night. do you think the seed will be okay? i havent checked on it in a few days so im not sure if it has come up or if it is doing okay...

i just got back from checking on it...nothing came up so i move the coco a bit and unveiled a small stem looking thing, but it didnt have any leaves...i wonder if i didnt knock them off brushing away the coco? =[ now i r sad

any words of encouragement?

did you get one above ground yet ruufuus? i don't pee around my od plants for one simple reason. i have alot of deer here, and a buck will challenge that scent occasionally as if another buck has entered his breeding ground, and it's possible you will get some breakage...i learned not to do that long ago...what is a good idea as a deterrent is to spread hair clippings, and bar soap(as stated) around your plants...i shave some irish spring around mine.;) ...

water is the biggest issue for an od grower...they need watered least twice weekly in 80 degree sunshine. when you near 90, then every other day...autos are weak smoke imo, and yes i've grown quite a few last summer both in and out...i'd plant at least six to make it worth your time...put all of them in the one bag if it pleases you...

if you can get an entire bag buried, you'd do alright as long as you're hole don't hold standing water...(prolly be easier to bury a five gallon bucket);)

to keep deer away, i went to a game park that has big cats and ask for and got dung from cats. Definitely kept all critters away. Call first for sure. Also think about a late plant. Last year my grow partner planted a Pineapple Express on the on the first of July. That plant turned out to be the bomb. You see, when you plant late the plant freaks out because it's late and dose the catch-up mode to mature and produce. What I liked was it cut 2 or 3 months of work out of the picture. Hope you do well and this helps you,green blessings ruufuus.

Latest posts

Back