Godfather OG Quadline Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plants are growing quickly at this stage…here they are three days later than the photo above. The largest Zkittz plant is growing her 5th node. I will be topping after 6 nodes are formed. I think the plant is showing some minimal lighting stress, so I’m watching them closely under the higher intensity lighting.

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

I am always afraid to fry the plants under the LEDs, so I’m trying to ease them into the higher intensity lights. Using the free Photone lighting application, I’m able to determine that a 3 week old plant should be getting a 30 or less Daily Light Integral (DLI). DLI is calculated based on number of hours of light (20 hrs) and lighting intensity (366 ppfd). So….my DLI is 25.7, which is below the max of 30 DLI. Soooooo…….i will let the plants acclimate to the higher light and slowly work up to 30 this week. For anyone that measures their lighting in lux, this is close to 20,000 lux.

IMG_0328.png
IMG_0637.png
IMG_0638.pngIMG_0639.png

I no longer need to run a heater in the tent. The LED is generating enough heat to hold the tent at 78 degrees. The humidifier is set to run if the VPD exceeds 1.0 since humidity lowers the VPD….so tent conditions are ideal currently.

IMG_0340.jpeg

Next update this week when I install the UV/IR lighting in the tent and start using InfraRed lighting to encourage stretch.

Looking good mate. I’ve also just started 6 autos 2 weeks old and also following dli.
Thank you Thomas.
Yes, I had forgotten about this DLI calculation approach until I stumbled on it recently. It’s nice to have a lighting goal and plan instead of guessing how much light they need. Best of luck with your grow!!

Today I observed some very early yellowing between the veins of the new growth. The photos don’t do it justice, but I’m suspicious that it’s either a nitrogen or sulfur deficiency. I am most likely wrong…..but it seemed logical since I’m in coco and the damage is on the newest growth leaves. (I used the plant problem solver at Grow Weed Easy). This is only showing up on one of the three plants.

I fed her some RO water mixed with Epsom salt, seaweed extract, silica, CalMag and a very small dose of GH Flora Micro and Gro. Ppm under 800. Hope I don’t hurt the plant with this feed. I saw a lot of positive discussion here about epsom salts and decided to add that to the mix. Ph’d to 6.0.

Yesterday I did a foliar feed with RO water, 2 ml/g of silica, 4ml/g of CalMag, 1ml/g of Flora Gro and Micro, 10ml/g of Seaweed extract. That was also adjusted to a 6.0 ph. That might help too, but it will take a few days.

I’m a soil grower historically, so I’m never quite sure what to expect when growing in coco.

IMG_0901.jpeg

IMG_0900.jpeg

IMG_0899.jpeg

I have never grown in coco but I think I recall that coco growers pH to 5.6-5.8 kinda like hydro. Maybe some coco folks will chime in.

Today I observed some very early yellowing between the veins of the new growth. The photos don’t do it justice, but I’m suspicious that it’s either a nitrogen or sulfur deficiency. I am most likely wrong…..but it seemed logical since I’m in coco and the damage is on the newest growth leaves. (I used the plant problem solver at Grow Weed Easy). This is only showing up on one of the three plants.

I fed her some RO water mixed with Epsom salt, seaweed extract, silica, CalMag and a very small dose of GH Flora Micro and Gro. Ppm under 800. Hope I don’t hurt the plant with this feed. I saw a lot of positive discussion here about epsom salts and decided to add that to the mix. Ph’d to 6.0.

Yesterday I did a foliar feed with RO water, 2 ml/g of silica, 4ml/g of CalMag, 1ml/g of Flora Gro and Micro, 10ml/g of Seaweed extract. That was also adjusted to a 6.0 ph. That might help too, but it will take a few days.

I’m a soil grower historically, so I’m never quite sure what to expect when growing in coco.

View attachment 344182
View attachment 344183
View attachment 344184
Lower the pH to 5.6-5.8...6.0 is too high for veg. Once you get to flower you can raise it🤙

Lower the pH to 5.6-5.8...6.0 is too high for veg. Once you get to flower you can raise it🤙
I have never grown in coco but I think I recall that coco growers pH to 5.6-5.8 kinda like hydro. Maybe some coco folks will chime in.
Thanks! I thought coco was targeted for 6.0. I will definitely lower the ph for veg and see if that helps. The guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks! I thought coco was targeted for 6.0. I will definitely lower the ph for veg and see if that helps. The guidance is much appreciated!
No problem! If you have any other questions I might be able to help! Just lmk! 🤙

No problem! If you have any other questions I might be able to help! Just lmk! 🤙
Thank you EbbnFlowr! I’m always impressed at how friendly/helpful the people on this site are. It is greatly appreciated!

This is only my third coco grow, so I’m sure I’ll have more questions. It’s also my first coco grow in these self watering fabric pots too. I will definitely tag you if I run into another problem that I can’t figure out. Thanks again to you and OldFogey for steering me in the right direction!

Thank you EbbnFlowr! I’m always impressed at how friendly/helpful the people on this site are. It is greatly appreciated!

This is only my third coco grow, so I’m sure I’ll have more questions. It’s also my first coco grow in these self watering fabric pots too. I will definitely tag you if I run into another problem that I can’t figure out. Thanks again to you and OldFogey for steering me in the right direction!
No problem bro..I just harvested my third grow also all in coco and if it weren't for a couple people on this site, mainly lesso, I would've been up shits creek so I'm happy to pass along what Ive learned over the past few months! It's a lot of fun!

A quick weekend update. Plants grew 5 inches last week during week 3 of veg from 4 inches to almost 10 inches. They are stretching much faster than my usual grows with more spacing between nodes…..could be caused by several factors 1.) new infrared light schedule 2.) reduced lighting following the Daily Light a integral chart or 3.). Growing in coco might just be faster than soil. I have traditionally grown very short plants, so I suspect I provided too much light in the past.

BB473988-0D01-4C45-A4F1-BE1934DC6232.jpeg

I’ve been removing the bottom 1-2 nodes since they just produce larf anyway. I was growing to train these as a quad line, but now I’m leaning to a simple SCROG. My tent is relatively small for a quad line. I’m topping above the 4th and 5th nodes, so I expect 6 branches to train per plant.

C5CBA02C-FB3A-444A-9223-47B9E8433196.jpeg

Targeting a Daily Light Integral of 30. My one plant had curled leaves earlier this week at a DLI of 25, so I’m hoping she’s acclimated to the more intense lighting. I will be kicking it up touch more intense next week.

C887A5F2-3BF9-492A-935C-4CF878EA0DFC.jpeg

Yellowing between the veins in one plant has improved with the reduced ph level (5.8) and the addition of MaxiCrop Seaweed Extract with Iron. Still some room for more improvement, but the leaves look better. I fed a little iron yesterday and today.

C410F518-11ED-4284-9100-D7E2FBE50C5B.jpeg
Dosing the garden with InfraRed light at sunrise and sunset per the Mars Hydro instructions. I’m still not sure that I understand the benefits of IR light. It increases photosynthesis which might account for the faster growth.

799EE6DF-0D9A-405B-95A3-ABE0ABD54B29.jpeg

Looks good man how many times a day are you feeding?
Thanks EbbnFlowr! I’m actually not watering these plants manually except to address deficiencies occasionally. All feeding is done through the bases using wicks. The base holds 1 gallon of nutrients.

I have only used these self feeding bases once before using a soil medium and they worked great, but I don’t know what to expect with the coco medium. The manufacturer recommends coco as a medium, so it should work.

IMG_0386.jpegIMG_0387.jpeg

Good Morning! A quick Saturday update to the grow journal. It took 17 seeds, but I finally managed to get 5 seedlings to sprout. I plan to move three of these to 1.5 gallon containers in a week. That’s four additional seedlings this week, so I’m feeling better about my germination. I learned several valuable lessons this time about water quality, germination temperature and seed storage.

I am still re-evaluating my seed storage process as I wonder if vacuum sealing the seeds damaged some of them. I had been using a mason jar with dessicant packs (humidity absorbing packs) inside, then vacuum sealed and refrigerated. I have since stopped vacuum sealing the jar.

Current grow conditions in the germination station….
77 degrees / 50-55% humidity
Coco coir medium
Feed at 350ppm and 6.0 ph (reverse osmosis water with seaweed extract and a little cal mag)
Light distance for T5 at 4 inches (3500 lux levels)
All female seeds with 2 Seedsman LA Peyote Kush, 2 Ganja Famer Zkittlez, and 1 Pacific Seeds Godfather OG.

The 2x4 tent is ready….just need to get them large enough for the 5 gallon containers. I’m have two 300 watt LEDs squeezed into the tent, but I don’t plan to run both lights until flower. I will veg under 300 watts and flower under 500-600 watts….unless there’s a reason to max out sooner. I need to study up on cannabis lighting again.

View attachment 343161View attachment 343162View attachment 343166
Are those heat sinks?

I've been so damn busy I haven't had time for shit. I need to get my Big Pantry fixed up where I can buy me a tent. I already have a nice Led light. It's a Spider Farmer SF 4000. Haven't even used it yet. It's the one I bought from Lesso.

It’s been a while since I’ve updated (oct 22). Plants are up to 27” tall and finished their first week of flower. I completely screwed up my intended “quadline training”, so they are growing out without much training. I’m hoping to have sufficient space for the flowering stretch.

I’m running UV and IR for sporadic 30-minute intervals during the day.

Watering bases are still working great. I’m not doing any top feeding at all….all nutrients and water are delivered by the wicks from the 1 gallon reservoirs. I’m still curious if I will need to flush these….but this is the easy way to grow in coco so far. I’m topping the reservoirs off daily with .7 gallons of nutrient water. Leaves looking healthy….no signs of overfeeding.

IMG_0558.jpeg
IMG_0554.jpeg
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_0559.jpeg

Latest posts

Back