growing in a open space no walls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sin inc

eastside greenxpert
Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted to know a bout growing I a open space like a basement. I have always used grow tents but. My plants are out growing the 3x3 easy I need more height and space. I was thinking about just putting the plants in the middle of my basement and just hanging the light over the plants and thats it. I don't have to worry about light leaks are smell. What does the the fam have to say on this

Hi Sin inc. My vote would be to hang cheap white shower curtains (used to be 8 bucks on amazon) around the plants and go for it. We did that in the shed and it works well. We used pvc pipe to hang them on.

So much of the light is lost if you don't put up some sort of walls. Painted white cardboard even.
Sounds like you should set a grow space down there. very cool. good luck.

It's my understanding that you will lose the amount of available light due to the environment around you. Could you rig up something to keep the light in as small an area as possible?
Bear in mind, I am not an experienced grower yet. I am just regurgitating what I've read and been told.

Hey kid! My ex used to grow in a bedroom sized space that we built in the big shop just for growing. What we did was to make up movable partitions out of PVC and mylar (I would use Panda film now, but it was not available in 98) to box in the space. They were kind of like the partitions you see in large office spaces to separate the work spaces. I like the moveable partitions because you can keep them close when the plants are small and move them out as the plants get larger.

A larger space like this will be easier to control the environment--I think you will like it, but you do need an enclosure to contain your light and reflect it back.

There is nothing more to add to this except :yeahthat:

I am trying the open room technic. I had issues with overcrowding in my 5x5 tent so set it up without the tent. I might try the moveable screens idea but I am trying to maximize the airflow around the plants to help prevent PM which has been an issue for me. So far the plants seem to be doing ok but I haven't grown these before so can't tell if they would be doing better with more reflected light.

View attachment room1.JPG

If you have a finished ceiling in your basement, you can staple panda film to the ceiling and let it hang to the floor. I velcro tape the edges of the panda film panels together. Without closing in the light, you are losing valuable lumens.

Rose had it right.... white shower curtains. I used shower curtains in exactly that manor for many years and it works great.

In fact, my current room still uses white shower curtains on the wall. Great reflection and oh, so easy to clean.t.

I noticed that you have the air filter on the floor. I personally would hang it from the ceiling as that is where the warmest, oxygen laden air is going to be. the cooler co2 rich air is heavier and will stay lower. You don't want to remove the cooler co2 rich air, you want to remove the warmer air. JMO

You NEED some kind of reflecting surface around your plants--you can see how much light you are losing, how much is being disbursed throughout the room. Using partitions that do not go all the way to the ceiling will give you lots of air movement, but still reflect the light back.

I agree with these pros up here. You're given some quality advice here :)

Thanks for the help. You help me out a lot. Right now I Am using so old white sheets. I am going to go get some of those space blankets to replace the sheets. I really have to say that I really underestimated the hempy buckets the plants quickly out grew my 3x3x5 tent easy. If I am to use the 5gal hempys I will have to upgrade to a 5x5 tent

View attachment IMG_20150909_002924.jpg

View attachment IMG_20150909_002859.jpg

At least half of that growth you are seeing there is some stretch from not having enough lighting going to the plants when you didn't have them enclosed. MJ is a very high energy plant and it wants the lumens, (thus the reason it proliferated around the globe throughout the tropical and sub tropical regions). Hopefully now with the white sheets holding in the lumens, she will not stretch as much.

Hush these lady's came out a 3x3 tent. And plus that's 800 Watt hps there sir I was just using the 400 Watt how inn the tent. But now since I have all this room I have turned the 400 Watt mh to. Temps running 85-86 now. In the tent temp would run the high ninetys easy. Killed 2 birds with one stone.

Latest posts

Back