Growing something, but I don't knwo what yet (Indoors/Outdoors)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candyman

Secret Macgyver
Reaction score
Hello all. I am going to attempt to grow my very first plant (again). A couple weeks ago I had 3 plants growing strong in a 2 liter bottle. I used a desk lamp for lighting. This however was a horrible attempt but it taught me to look into a better lighting solution and not to put my bottle of plants in an area where it could get knocked down (the pot got knocked down 4 times in the same night then all the stems broke and sadness occured).

Now I start new again with seeds from bud I smoked once. I germinated 4 seeds last week and when I checked on them 3 out of the 4 already had roots longer than a centimetre. I planted them all in a large measuring cup and wrapped the inside with foil to promote more light to be reflected. I have had it uncovered for the past 3 days and I only have one plant it seems. The soil is weird looking (which it wasn't beforehand). I am trying to figure out what the problem is, but I am new and I don't have much experience.

The soil is some potting soil I found in my gardening shed. The soil is for regular plants but I am guessing if it's really good for regular plants then it must be good for these plants as well.

Please take a look.

UPDATE: (Apr 22, 2009) Please note that since the beginning of this grow I have added one more plant and my location has changed from the original place with my roomies to my friend's house. I still have the same cabinet and the plants are still growing well.

3dayin.JPG

Welcome to the hobby!..

There are a few things that you may want to keep in mind, and it will say you further heartache.

1. You get what you pay for. Most of the potting soils that you find at your local garden shops (Miracle Grow and the like...) have slow release fertilizers. If you grow in these, you will likely find that you are fighting your fert the whole time.

2. Before going any further....spend at least 8 hours reading as much as you can on here.

3. Plan ahead. It will take considerably more light than your desk lamp can produce to grow a nice plant through flowering. You may get it through seedling and early veg...but never flowering. Think about where you will keep the plants, how you will conceal them, if needed. Plan your lights, ventilation...etc.

I am not saying any of this to deter you from growing a plant. You will just enjoy it so much more if you take the time to slow down...and do it in a more planned way. You will learn a lot during your first gorw.....I know I did...and I read tons...and still made many mistakes. The good news is that we are all here to help.

Also....get rid of the aluminum foil....it reflects unevenly and can cause hot spots that will burn through your leaves.

Howdy candyman. Does the container have any drain holes? Very important for the water to drain out. The roots will sit in water and it deprives them of oxygen=death to the plant. Get a couple pots at the store. They aren't expensive, or use a milk jug. Poke some holes in the bottom. Read and read some more. I find new stuff here all the time and I have spent hours scouring these pages.

flouro's ,flouresants, cfls,-- desktop lamps are only good for one thing which is a desktop lamp !! put those girls under cfl once popped then in soil good pot mix as bluesmoke states 2-3 inches above the soil for the 1st 8-10 days 18-24hrs of everyday raise the light accordingly you may find 6inches will get raised over the period.then it will be time to allow mother nature to take her steps i.e sun 10-12hr day prefered wind for strong stalk. good luck post more pics.. get good mix without ferts for now !

I'd like to elaborate more about my plans for this plant. I plan to start it inside while the weather is still cool (which is where I am now in the process), then I want to move it outside when it's too big for the small container.

Thanks guys. I found out my soil was dry which is why is looked funny. I watered it and put a CD spool cover over the top to keep heat in and to hopefully promote growth. I also ripped all the foil out, except the foil I use to keep the CD spool cover on top of the container. Here are some pictures of my grow cabinet and the container with my plant.

I also have a pic of the bulb I am using now (since I did some research). It is a phillips natural bulb. As you can see in the pics it has a nice hue.

EDIT: Does anyone think I should add more lights, use a different one, etc? I have a couple CFL I can use that have a temperature of 3000K and I think between 2000 and 2200 lumens. I don't know much about the light I am using now (in pic below), however it seems to work for this part of the growing procedure. The CFL bulbs look exactly like the CFL in the reference pic below (attached).

100_0745.JPG

100_0744.JPG

100_0743.JPG

100_0742.JPG

image-website-size-250x250-product--CFL+Bulbs--Twist.jpg

how cold are we talking outside..are you nth or sth hemisphere you can remove cd case.. put light directly over the top for know about 3 inches above need cfls contain flourocarbons is that cfl just grow..grow..grow. to early for replant put others in beta pot mix

It has been between 30 and 60 lately, but mostly around 40s. Can I use the CFLs I have? They are regular white ones like in the reference picture in my last post.

oh dear uummm i have seen a grow using those cfls ideally you would need 2-3 for that girl so i would be more inclined to use it put it in for now!! yet 40deg farenheit that is cold man got a closet could you borrow another light if you are gunna pop more seeds you MUST have the tube type cfls and 70 deg at least .. yet others will advise here as well listen to all options !!

yes more lumens the higher the better indoor growers require hps 400-600mh/hps at 40,000 lumens if you have more add more 2000-3000 is better than 0 lumens that soil will have to do

Quote: (that soil is used for pretty flowers etc) and it will grow some pretty smokable flowers soon!!

So I have done some cleaning up and rearranging. I have added 2 CFL bulbs and uncovered the plant. Take a look (I'm surprised how well my camera adjusts to the light I can barely see through).

How long should it take before I know the gender and when should it start flowering?

100_0748.JPG

100_0749.JPG

100_0750.JPG

You know what's weird. I start my seeds in a green soda pop bottle which is cut down to about six inches and which I have holes in the bottom. They seem to sprout faster.

Klicks said:
You know what's weird. I start my seeds in a green soda pop bottle which is cut down to about six inches and which I have holes in the bottom. They seem to sprout faster.
My first plant (the predecessor to this project), was growing in a green bottle for a week until it got knocked over. It grew to 6 inches in a week, then it died :(

this would have shocked the poor babe thats also why it is a BAD idea to remove this one yet you need to wait until it has at least 5 sets of leaves it currently has 1 set do you know what strain ie breed you have there as some handle cold beta but none at that age will handle 40f keep it indoors with as much light lumens as possible

No, I don't know what strain it is. I got it from a bag of some regular bud I smoked once. While it was coming out of the soil it was in between 30 and 50 temperature at all times.

Is it a good idea to bring the plant outside on sunny days? I am planning on moving it outside any ways, and I was wondering if bringing it outside on sunny days would help improve it's growth.

purplephazes said:
this would have shocked the poor babe thats also why it is a BAD idea to remove this one yet you need to wait until it has at least 5 sets of leaves it currently has 1 set do you know what strain ie breed you have there as some handle cold beta but none at that age will handle 40f keep it indoors with as much light lumens as possible
it also would be adviseable to fill that white cup to the top as the root system grows faster i.e 3inches tall is 5-6 inches tap root length if you have just put that plant in there remove CAREFULLY and tpo up with soil do this NOW !

candyman said:
So I have done some cleaning up and rearranging. I have added 2 CFL bulbs and uncovered the plant. Take a look (I'm surprised how well my camera adjusts to the light I can barely see through).

How long should it take before I know the gender and when should it start flowering?
NOT tomorrow !! i.e strain-breed temperature- soil-light are all factors some in as little as 3-4 weeks some @ 5-8 weeks variations got a closet

i had a plant at 1 foot with 3foot tap root that is the general stats 1/3 sativa strain

candyman said:
I am trying to keep it out of view of my room mates (can't let them know, they think marijuana is a lethal drug and they are too ignorant to read up on it).

Given that you A) Have roommates and B) they are not pro-cannabis, you have some major problems. You should stop now, unless you want to be in jail, or have your roommates become cellmates....

It is their right to live in a home that is not used for growing. If you for some reason get busted, then by their living in the same household...they they may find themselves in legal issues. Not trying to be a downer here, but you are in a situation that really does not have much of an upside to it. Also, if they are anti-pot, they may just turn you in for growing when they have told you they are not on-board with it.

Seems like a lot of risk and trouble for a little MJ. Save yourself some headaches and just get your MJ from someone until you have your own place to grow.

Reactions: gmo
candyman said:
No, I don't know what strain it is. I got it from a bag of some regular bud I smoked once. While it was coming out of the soil it was in between 30 and 50 temperature at all times.

Is it a good idea to bring the plant outside on sunny days? I am planning on moving it outside any ways, and I was wondering if bringing it outside on sunny days would help improve it's growth.
not yet keep light on for 24 hrs and keep them close above is pratical 1st week you dont want the stalk long and spindlely or it will get top heavy and colapse light to be 2 inches away from top all times for 3 -4 days then good sun is ok PAY attension 2 wot bluesmoke has advised

Latest posts

Back