Help 4 Begginer Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tess

Reaction score
Hi there i am just after a little bit of help im planning on growing a couple of plants at home in my cupboard and i just dont want to get anything wrong but everything sounds so technial on the sites i have been on is it just like this or can any one en-lighten me

once the seed's are ready put them in some quality soil ( plain potting soil with a mixture of perlite & sand) give them 24hr light with a 400w-600w light's (not sure what type of light is best)
for around 3-4 weeks, start feeding them at 3 weeks after the goodness in the soil has gone.

Start flowering for around 6-8 weeks where they have 12/12 light or once they have reached the height you want them.

Sorry for my dumbness :eek:

So basic equipment i need is:

400w - 600w light's with reflector (what kind still unsure if any1 could help?)

Top soil with mixture perlite & sand to help drainage

Some Food & Fertilizer

Hope someone can help xx

You'll need 4 or 5 CFL lamps, each 30 to 42 watts, 1 400W MH, 1 400W HPS lamp and a good ventilation system.

CFLs are GREAT for seedlings, MH and HPS lamps seem to cook seedlings... Give your babies 3 to 4 weeeks and replace CFLs with MH, wait for preflowers use both MH and HPS at 12/12...

[

[/quote]

hi tess dont be we all need to learn somewhere :D if you have time check my indoor grow in the link below i started out i feb without a clue and managed to grow some fine herb
if you are using 1 area for veg and flowering i would go with the hps or if you are using to rooms ,,,go with flouros or cfls for vegging ,,remember you will need a minimum of 3-5000 lumens per sq ft
not sure where you are living but if its in the us try htg supplies for your lighting
and there are lots of diffrent feeds for you to choose from ,,i use miricle grow all purpose ,,for vegging and bio bloom for flowering
you can put them into 12/12 from seed if you want to keep them small ,,but i like to veg mine for 3-6 weeks ,,and remember they will at least double in height when in flowering so allow for this in your grow room
last but not least ,,,,,what beans you planning on using :hubba:
and dont forget a journal to let us see how there doing and its great for advise from the pros on here
goodluck :peace:

Thanks for both your quick responces I will be growing the plants through the veg & flowering in the one room but its an adequate size for all the stages of the growth of the plant. I think i will definatly use the hydroponic lighting i'm thinking i'll only need 400w as its a smallish space and im only having a couple of plants for my own usage so no need to push the boat out lol seems the best way to save me having to ventalate the cupboard as well.

I'm purhacing my seed's soon any tips of good site's? I was thinking of growing White widow as it seem's to be a good seed for the absolute novice like myself.
If you don't think there the best for me any you would reccomend?

:)

Oh yer about the seed's im in the uk anywhere do fast delivery?

CHECK OUT MY FIRST GROW JOURNAL FOR IDEAS.....HOW BIG IS YOUR CUPBOARD ????YOU CAN VEG WITH FLOROS AND HAVE OUTSTANDING RESULTS.ALSO SOME PEOPLE HATE mg SOILS BUT I REALLY LIKE EM'...I JUST WATER WHEN THEY need IT...MY PLANTS ARE ABOUT 3 FT TALL AT 5 WEEKS AND ALL I USED WAS FLOROS TO VEGG.CFL' WILL WORK FINE BUT YOU'LL PROLLY NEED 12-14 OF EM'

The space is 6ft wide x 2ft deepx 7ft high and thinking of growing 3 plants under 1x 400w hps light in soil does that sound about right?

yeah,....in that case..i would use T5's, T8's or T12's to vegg with instead of CFL's.....i used 12 40w T12's and MG 3month feed soil. I can grow 6 big plants in my 6x4x7 room so you should be fine with 3 in a 6x2x7....

If i was to use the MG 3 month soil would i need to add anything to it like sand or perlite? or does that come already in ingridiants?

What do you feed your's on? and wen do you start?

don't add sand...it comes with perlite but i added more....here's the soil mix i use...6- 20lbs bags of top soil(un-nuted)mixed heavily with perlite for the bottom layer and 8- 40lbs bags of MG 3 month with added perlite....you should cut that in half for 3 plants...USE THE BIGGEST BUCKETS THAT WILL FIT INTO THE ROOM..the larger the root growth , the faster the plants will grow. I flush my soil mix thoroughly 24hrs prior to planting seed just to prep the mix...after that it's just watering till the end pretty much.just plant the seeds....i don't care for pre-germination much at all.

look at my journal for feed info...it's really simple......one product does it all for me(besides the soil).get the right lights and use my soil mix and they should blast off around week 2-3

Cheers thats a great help, Im thinking of buying some feminized seed's are they guarenteed to be females ? or should i plant more then 3 seeds for the 3 plants i want incase some males come up.

Also cheked out ur plants looking good How long till u flower?

as soon as i get my 1000wHPS i'll set em' loose. in a small space like your and your begginerness i would suggest starting 10-12 seeds if you're using bag seed or 4 if you order...let em' grow and clone what you want to keep.thats what i did

I am sooooo baked right now...............

hi tess you are still going to need some ventalation imusing a 400 hps and use comp fans to add and take away heat
white widow sound cool
heres a link to some headshops //www.tazmarseeds.co.uk/catalog/shopping_cart.php/manufacturers_id/26
//www.growhigh.co.uk/catalog/warehouse.php
//www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/
(just copy and paste them in )
that fast on delivery in the uk
goodluck :hubba:

I also strongly advise you to look through the forum, even do a 'search' on the forum for "Miracle grow" soil grows, and witness the problems and issues "some" (if not most) but not ALL, have encountered with their products.
There are far, far, better products out there, just as economically priced.. IMO

Agree with Hick do ya home work...

MG is not recommended by a lot of "professional" growers. The soil, the ferts, anything MG.

i wouldn't suggest mg unless you already have it.. if you gotta buy soil anyway get a good soil.. mg can be used but its tuff at times to say the least. i've used it on several grows and when it works out like it should its great, but it rarely happens that way. good luck

tess said:
Hi there i am just after a little bit of help im planning on growing a couple of plants at home in my cupboard and i just dont want to get anything wrong but everything sounds so technial on the sites i have been on is it just like this or can any one en-lighten me

once the seed's are ready put them in some quality soil ( plain potting soil with a mixture of perlite & sand) give them 24hr light with a 400w-600w light's (not sure what type of light is best)
for around 3-4 weeks, start feeding them at 3 weeks after the goodness in the soil has gone.

Start flowering for around 6-8 weeks where they have 12/12 light or once they have reached the height you want them.

So basic equipment i need is:

400w - 600w light's with reflector (what kind still unsure if any1 could help?)

Top soil with mixture perlite & sand to help drainage

Some Food & Fertilizer

Hope someone can help xx

I would recommend staying away from Miracle Grow soil. Although there are some here who have no trouble, many do. You have no real control over the nutrients.

You can veg them for as long as you want, but remember that they will double or triple in size. I would get regular seeds (non-feminized) and plant twice as many as you want. Northern Lights is another good strain for beginners. As for where to buy seeds, Doc Chronic has a good reputation.

Your plants will probably take 8-12 weeks (not 6-8) to flower depending on strain. A 400W HPS should provide enough lumens for your space. Do some trial runs with your light on to see how hot it gets. If you can afford an air cooled reflector, it makes a lot of difference in how much heat the light puts out. As Melissa said, you will need some ventilation. You need whatever it takes to keep your space cool (under 85F), plus you are going to want to exchange the air in the room 2-3 times a minute so the plants have enough CO2.

Be sure to read the "Resources" section and all the stickies that pertain to your type of grow. Here are also some good links on the Home page.

Latest posts

Back