Help With Cloning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrimsonUndertow

Passionate Grower
Reaction score
A few months ago i was a newbie, now after some extensive reading i've got a healthy grow room. I've realized that starting from seed is not the best option for me so i'm trying to clone. Cloning hormone is not available where I live EDIT. So I'm trying (without luck) to get the clones without the hormone. this time I thought i should post some pics maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Watered before cutting, clipper was cleaned with alcohol, trimmed some leaves of, cut after the first node, put in perlite and vermiculite, 30w Floro, humidity dome, What else should I do?

mini-DSC00055.JPG

mini-DSC00061.JPG

CrimsonUndertow said:
A few months ago i was a newbie, now after some extensive reading i've got a healthy grow room. I've realized that starting from seed is not the best option for me so i'm trying to clone. Cloning hormone is not available where I live (It's a F*$@ed up country i tell ya'). So I'm trying (without luck) to get the clones without the hormone. this time I thought i should post some pics maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Watered before cutting, clipper was cleaned with alcohol, trimmed some leaves of, cut after the first node, put in perlite and vermiculite, 30w Floro, humidity dome, What else should I do?

You can make your own cloning horomone from willow. I'll try and find the link. I can't imagine that you can't find rooting hormone--it is used in all types of gardening.

I always cut my clones under water on a 45 degree angle and scarify the stem.

Try and just find the rooting powder doesnt have to be the gel
Any gardening center or home inprovment place should carry it, rootone its called.

If your method isnt working try using rockwool, but thats probably going to be harder to get.

i've had good luck with ph water and liquid seaweed...seem to root faster than water alone, but your gonna need root powder, willow or somethin as stated above to have better success, IMO.

im also trying this for experiment, since im outta gas for a day or 2 and cant get roottone.. but ive had a clipping in water for a couple days now i though i read a thread from OG was around about it being able to work just taking alot longer? it wasnt the best plant i clipped from savin them clipping for the rootone..

it is possible to root a clone just by leaving it in water and putting it in a bright window. it takes a long time, but it is possible. :cool:

and... if you could throw and airstone in there as well, it will help a lot....

awsome it wasnt best genetics outta bunch sut experiment its under 24 hour 2ft flouro in the veg chamber obviosly... does 24 hour lighting hurt it?

toke@smoke420 said:
awsome it wasnt best genetics outta bunch sut experiment its under 24 hour 2ft flouro in the veg chamber obviosly... does 24 hour lighting hurt it?

No, I prefer 24 hour lighting for clones

perfect so i dont gotta worry about takin it out then... anyone got an idea on how much longer i takes with just water compared to rootone...

Hi, I am new at this also, I am trying both ways, I put 3 cuttings in water, and 3 i dipped into the rooting powder and put into rockwool and put under dripper. it's been a week today, the cutting i placed in rockwool and put under dripper have lots of new growth but I havent seen roots come from the bottom of the cups yet. the cuttings in water are showing very small but many little young roots, I scraped the sides of all cuttings and I tried to cut at branch node on most except one which I used for the water in the glass experiment. I also changed the water everyday and I used distilled water. I wondered if I could have added something to the water but I never asked the question. anyone know?

I will put the cutting in the glass of water in rockwool sometime this week end for I can see all this new growth on the ones I had done last friday and it really is amazing!

good luck.

I just did this in my thread, its been a month without any rooting crap, and 3/4 have nice sets of roots in new pots!

The 4th even had a single root coming, but it simply died I guess when I took it out of the dome to support its own (too early, I bet if I keep that lone plant domed I would have a 100% ratio).

Yes I said too early after waiting a month for roots...

I think the best is, put your clippings in a cup of water quickly, re-cut up the stem and peel a tiny bit of the "skin" where you cut upwards (I seen a video on this, it might sound tricky, but actually all he did was cut a bit short then peeled from the leftover flap, very simple, helps roots form apparently...), keep the soil moist, keep the air most (fresh is also important, lift that dome a good 3-5 times a day), but don't over spray/over water... Only spray when they need it, you will mold em'.

So what I learned? Order some damn rooting powder online or drive the hour to pick it up, that's what I learned, because over a month is too long for me for clones.

Ok

When we take clones they are subjected to incredible changes. The stem that once grew leaves has to now produce roots in order to survive.

I always began with a HealthyMother Plant, that was at least two months old.

About 1wk before I needed to take clones.
I would cease feeding my mothers.
I would also begin misting them heavily every morning, with warm water.
This leaches nitrogen from the mother and is believed to help fresh clones produce roots faster.

Careful stem selection is equally important.
I always found the lower branches from my mothers, produced the best clones.

So................

The day before I planned to take clones I would;

Prepare a seaweed extract solution, PH corrected.
Switch on my Propagator.
Soak jiffy pellets in the seaweed solution, and place them into the propagator to warm them before use.

Cloning Day

Prepare all of the utensils your going to be using
Clean secateurs, for cutting the stems
Clean sharp blade, I always used a new utility blade.
Rooting Hormone, clonex gel worked for me.
Clean kitchen chopping board.

Make yourself comfortable

I would never rush this operation.

So..........

Pull your Mother

Sit her in front of you and select the stems that you are about to cut.
I would only ever work with one stem at a time.
Remove the stem using the secateurs (between 6 and 8 inches)
Immediately place on the cutting board.

Because I was taking large numbers of clones I liked to Trim the upper leaves so that they would make minimum contact with there brother or sisters in the propagator.[/I]

Trim off two to three sets of leaves from the stem aiming to leave two sets of trimmed leaves above the soil line and one or two trimmed nodes below the soil line.

Now make a clean 45 degree cut ,using the utility blade, below a node.

Immediately dip the stem into the rooting gel, I would aim to cover about one inch of stem.

Place this stem into a warm jiffy pellet and place into the propagator.

Repeat until you have the number of clones your happy with.

When I was done, the propagator and clones were placed into a dark area for at least six hrs. I liked to use a 6/18 lighting cycle using a dedicated area with florescent lighting.

I would begin crack open the propagators vents after about a week, keeping a close eye on the clones. Increasing the ventilation slowly as to allow the clones to acclimatise themselves gently. Until they were comfortable with the cover completely removed and the heat turned off.

During this time any clones that showed signs of disease/dying were removed immediately.

Cloning for Sex

If I was cloning for sex

All mothers were numbered and clones numbered with the corresponding number.

I am not trying to say that this is the best method of taking clones, many people have there tried and tested methods.
This is mine and I found that it worked well for me.

You may want to have a look at

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ead.php?t=2441

Hick has produced his own clear pic guide to producing clones.

Latest posts

Back